Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

"Covington and Newton County have already trademarked the nickname “Hollywood of the South,” owing to numerous TV shows and film scenes shot there.

Soon they could have a full-fledged movie studio to go with the handle.

Covington-based Triple Horse, founded by a former producer and director for Turner Studios, plans a sprawling 168-acre complex near I-20 about 35 miles east of Atlanta that one day could hold up to eight sound stages and post-production facilities..."

Movie studio planned in Covington | www.myajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
I'm growing a tad concerned about one thing...

I wish all of these studios would locate in the same general region or side of town. This way labor and talent can easily live between them all.

It seems like south and west of Atlanta has had a better time attracting this. These areas could definitely use the attention too.

This project sort of breaks away from the trend.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Good God, whats next? 'Atlantawood' on the side of Stone Mountain?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Good God, whats next? 'Atlantawood' on the side of Stone Mountain?
personally I think we go for "pollen-town" with a big sign with bright lights. Maybe in a pollentown studios!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Bring it on, I say. I just wish all these new planned studios were closer to town, rather than being some 20-35 miles out. But, I guess land is far cheaper out there.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
I'm not that concerned about them not being closer to town. They're just a bunch of warehouses behind a gate. They don't really encourage a lot (if any) pedestrian activity. They also take up a large amount of land.

Way back when all of the sound stages were built in LA in the early to mid 1900's, they were located way out in suburbia too.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
It's amazing how these studios are proliferating!

If we're not going to get trains anytime soon, why not put a huge trellis over the gulch and turn it into a massive sound stage. It would be an awesome location for any movie having to do with railroads, post apocalyptic scense, gritty urban chases, you name it.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
One big reason the studios prefer the exurbs is NOISE! Or rather, lack thereof. What sold the Pinewood Studios executives on the Fayette County site is the fact that they'll be less than 20 minutes from the airport but won't have to deal with any urban noise because the facilities are being built in a natural bowl-shaped piece of property surrounded by farmland. That's why they're planning to build outdoor backlots of NYC, London, Paris, etc street scenes. They'll be able to take advantage of Georgia's mild weather and film outdoors nearly year-round, without having to deal with all the challenges of shooting on location.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I'm not that concerned about them not being closer to town. They're just a bunch of warehouses behind a gate. They don't really encourage a lot (if any) pedestrian activity. They also take up a large amount of land.

Way back when all of the sound stages were built in LA in the early to mid 1900's, they were located way out in suburbia too.
Well said. I like the analogy. LA's film studios were largely concentrated in the same area, which means they could make use of more 3rd party companies for specific needs and attract the same, but larger, labor pool.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Movie studios being in far flung suburbs doesn't bother me. The work is sporadic and talent will tend to work at different studios at different times. Living intown and having months-long stints commuting to Fayette or Covington isn't a bad setup at all. Those are true counter-commutes that will have virtually no traffic.

Also, this project sounds awesome, but seems less certain than the pinewood project. Either way, nice to see Atlanta becoming a focal point for the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta