Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times

Advertisements

Everyone,

We would appreciate knowing about any resources for gifted toddlers. We know of testing that is performed on children ages 4 and up. Is there any testing for children as young as 2? We would like to understand better how to continue to enrich our child who has been working with his nanny/teacher in our home. Does anyone recommend particular schools, programs and/or other resources for very young gifted children? At 18 months, he had covered subject matter and concepts generally for 3-4 year olds and has just turned two and is moving into preschool and pre-K materials.

We are having difficulty finding information about resources for children his age.

Thanks in advance,
LS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
That's pretty durn smart. One of our grandbabies is 2 and I thought he was smart, although he is more into stuff like running around, dancing, throwing rocks in the pond, and so forth. He does know his colors and letters and can count to 10 but that's about it as far as academics.

I still have high hopes for him.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Check out the Hoagies Gifted page. There is also a Gifted Homeschoolers forum that might have some useful ideas. Montessori worked well for my daughters--but is not a good match for some gifted kids. If you are interested in an eval., I would suggest speaking with Spomenka Newman. But it might make sense to wait until child is 6 and can take WISC.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks Arjay. Your grandson sounds like a smartypants too. I love that he likes to run and dance and knows his "stuff" too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's pretty durn smart. One of our grandbabies is 2 and I thought he was smart, although he is more into stuff like running around, dancing, throwing rocks in the pond, and so forth. He does know his colors and letters and can count to 10 but that's about it as far as academics.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Deacongirl,

I briefly scanned the page and it has a wealth of information. It looks great!! The referral to Dr. Newman is also great!! Thanks so much!

We'd looked at Montessori as we knew that this could be a way that he could work at different levels given the age range. I was very impressed with Montessori and we've been buying Montessori materials offline for about a year now for our child's playroom/schoolroom. The materials are awesome also.

We decided against Montessori for a few reasons: (1) large class sizes (I know why that takes place but we still wanted him to be in a smaller class - the average class size that we found was 25-30); (2) emphasis on not having teacher-led instruction (because we see how much and how fast our child understands and learns when he has teacher-led instruction); and (3) some of the AMI schools don't praise and we believe in praising to the extent that our son claps when he is proud of himself (so I was concerned about putting him into an environment that didn't offer praise to children for job well done - it didn't feel natural to me). My grandmother (a former preschool teacher) also seemed to think that there was a large emphasis on perfection and completion in the Montessori framework as the tools only allow for one way of providing a solution. Anyway, I think that Montessori is great in general (especially for children that are either advanced or working at a level less than what would be typical for age) but it just wasn't for us.

Thanks again for the awesome information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Check out the Hoagies Gifted page. There is also a Gifted Homeschoolers forum that might have some useful ideas. Montessori worked well for my daughters--but is not a good match for some gifted kids. If you are interested in an eval., I would suggest speaking with Spomenka Newman. But it might make sense to wait until child is 6 and can take WISC.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Food for thought re: praise.

The Power (and Peril) of Praising Your Kids -- New York Magazine

Educational Leadership:Early Intervention at Every Age:The Perils and Promises of Praise

Bing Times Online » Blog Archive » Carol Dweck: Praising Intelligence: Costs to Children

"But it turns out even well-intended praise for children’s talents and abilities can backfire. In May, developmental and social psychologist Dr. Carol Dweck addressed the Bing community in the 2007 Distinguished Lecture to explain why and how praise can drain a child’s self-esteem and sap motivation."

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 10,522 times
I'd point out what Deacongirl did above, and also mention that most experts in education/child development/child psychology do NOT think that early teacher-led instruction is the best way for a two-year-old to learn. Yes, in the short term they may acquire some very impressive skills. In the long run, however, they may lag in critical thinking, curiosity, creativity, and inner-directed drive to learn.

Here's one site that offers some food for thought, and links to some studies: Why Homeschool: Early Academics vs Developmental Approach

Old 05-05-2013, 03:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:

As you should, Ariay. But, thought you knew. EVERYONES child is gifted these days. One of my nieces has harped on this since they were born, and frankly I find them all as dumb as as a box of rocks.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
EVERYONES child is gifted these days. One of my nieces has harped on this since they were born, and frankly I find them all as dumb as as a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta