Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin123 View Post
What is the West End area like? Is it safe? Are people moving there?

Thanks for all the great advice.
Yeah at our neighborhood meeting at the West End library Tuesday night 5/7/13 a captain from Zone 4 police department gave a five month report and update on crime in the area. The most prevalent crime was larceny, because people would leave visible electronic items visible in their cars. Overall crime was down significantly from last year. West End goal is to be 70 percent homeowner occupied, we are currently at 48%. I feel completed safe in the area, and love the neighborhood involvement. My VA appraisal report should be in soon. I will also let you know what they said about the value of the house i'm about to purchase near West end place. The house was totally gutted and renovated, my purchase price was $165,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Possibly to late for the O4W bandwagon, I guess it depends on what kind of return you expect. Here's my amateur analysis:
Interesting that your choice of categories was four types of scary and "white people".

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Yeah at our neighborhood meeting at the West End library Tuesday night 5/7/13 a captain from Zone 4 police department gave a five month report and update on crime in the area. The most prevalent crime was larceny, because people would leave visible electronic items visible in their cars. Overall crime was down significantly from last year. West End goal is to be 70 percent homeowner occupied, we are currently at 48%. I feel completed safe in the area, and love the neighborhood involvement. My VA appraisal report should be in soon. I will also let you know what they said about the value of the house i'm about to purchase near West end place. The house was totally gutted and renovated, my purchase price was $165,000.
Yeah I would recommend invisible electronic items in West End.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Interesting that your choice of categories was four types of scary and "white people".
It was funny reading that list...several of the "scary" or "super scary" are some of my favorite areas. I have never once though EAV and some of the others were scary at all. I guess it depends on individual perspective.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah I would recommend invisible electronic items in West End.
Actually larceny is the number one crime in the whole metro Atlanta area, and not just West End according the Atlanta police officer.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Edgewood Ave

Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Possibly to late for the O4W bandwagon, I guess it depends on what kind of return you expect. Here's my amateur analysis:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
West Midtown (Knight Park)
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
wow, that is quite amateur. first of all there used to be rough neighbourhoods in atlanta that were all white, like riverside, cabbagetown, and grant park. those are all relatively nice now so that is past. but just because there's "white people" doesn't make it a good or bad neighbourhood.

second of all, you group in east lake and reynoldstown as "super scary" when they're honestly about the level of edgewood. and kirkwood and edgewood don't belong in the same category either— kirkwood is miles ahead of edgewood despite it being further out from spots like candler park and virginia-highland.

i would agree with almost everything in the "**** get me out of here" category, with a couple of notes: mechanicsville is basically all eaten up with development now, and the only parts left of the traditional neighbourhood are in the southern end, which is across the tracks from pittsburgh. second of all, the south part of vine city is a lot like west end and is fine. the north part of vine city is right south of simpson which is basically the gateway to the bluff, which honestly to me is on a whole different level of "f--ked-up-ittude" from any other neighbourhood in atlanta including pittsburgh and mechanicsville. especially when you go through those tunnels along northside that mark the gateway to it. *shiver*

www.goo.gl/maps/9vTCt

Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
For the original poster please ignore this ignorant nonsense reply. This is their opinion only, as if a certain ethnic group makes a neighborhood safe.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:27 AM

402 posts, read 703,741 times
Yes, you are all correct white people don't cause neighborhood to be safe or not, but demographics just happen to correlate very well in Atlanta. Plus it was TIC

It's tough to judge some places because as one poster noted Reynoldstown, etc is on the same level as Kirkwood - it just depends on where in the neighborhood. In my opinion, the best investment opportunities are along Memorial between Boulevard and Maryland Terrace. Lots of old apartments and abandoned builds on a street that will be transformed into a scenic 'boulevard' according to the Mayor. Also, the Beltline is funded and slated to be completed in 2014 through the Bill Kennedy overpass. The area between Glenwood and I-20 has lots of housing stock that is on the brink of transitional as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:

White people
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Midtown
Grant Park
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Ormewood Park

Semi-scary
O4W
Home Park
Castleberry Hill
Cabbagetown
Capitol Gateway

Scary
East Atlanta Village
West End
Edgewood
Kirkwood
Boulevard Crossing
Adair Park
SoNo

Super Scary
Summerhill
Reynoldstown
East Lake
Capitol View
Washington Park

**** get me out of here
English Ave
Vine City
Mechanicsville
Pittsburgh
Bankhead
Wow just wow. Have you ever been to any of theses places?
Scary? Tell that to all people pushing strollers in Kirkwood and East Lake. If you would to see how it really is in Kirkwood come this Saturday to the Spring Fling, 2013 Kirkwood Spring Fling Festival (11th Annual). I promise you won';t get stabbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta