Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,862,111 times

Advertisements

Would-be Developers Offer Ideas for Land Adjacent to Turner Field | WABE 90.1 FM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,967,528 times
This was already posted in another thread, but I do hope they get something done sooner rather than later.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM

139 posts, read 232,003 times
Thanks for sharing the interview. I would have missed it otherwise.

It was pretty much a rehash of the RFI of late last year, but i did learn that the Braves lease expires in three years.

I don't believe the COA and the Braves have had the best relationship. This could get interesting.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,900,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
I don't believe the COA and the Braves have had the best relationship.
Why not?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Why not?
The gold standard would be the Falcons-COA relationship. We saw what the COA will do to keep the Falcons. You won't see anything close to keep the Braves.

Twice I've heard the Braves publicly have disagreements with MARTA. Once over the suspension of the Turner Field shuttle and once at a season ticket holders' meeting where Shuerholz, as politely as possible, expressed disappointment over the lack of pursuit of an extension that was supposedly going to happen after the Olympics.

I'm a huge Braves fan and a huge SE Atlanta fan, but will readily admit having the Braves here has benefitted neither party. It's very likely that the best for both is for the Braves to find a new home.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,900,727 times
I think that in the past there is some truth to that the braves and the neighborhood have not really built off each other. When they originally built Atlanta / Fulton Co Stadium the demolished blocks and blocks of houses. Then they failed to use a chance to fix that in the rush to get ready for the Olympics. But it looks like it is heading in the right direction now. If we can redevelop the surrounding area to to be more like a Wrigglyville where you want to live and hang out even if there is no game and stay for hours after a game because there are many great bars a restaurants.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,713,414 times
I lived in Grant Park for a decade on Cherokee Avenue a few blocks north of the zoo, or about a mile away from the Ted as the crow flies. While there, I slowly developed a general irritation at having the stadium relatively closeby.
The aftergame noise from traffic & the inevitable pumped up stereos was tiresome. But the real kicker that was so obnoxious were the post game short bursts of fireworks that went off after every Braves victory, no matter if it was a game that ended at 1 or 2 a.m. because of a rain delay or extra innings. Trying to sleep through late fireworks & postgame traffic at that point in the night=unacceptable!
If the Braves ever do relocate & there are any residential neighborhoods nearby the new facility, they need to press down hard on the obnoxious issues before stadium construction is okayed.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,220,488 times
As posted elsewhere, I'd like to see development around the stadium like the Vancouver Gastown or Kansas City Power & Light District:

Here's a master plan that was posted for Mechanicsville from 2004:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/sho...ocumentid=3063

Old 06-05-2013, 07:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,220,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatlien View Post
The gold standard would be the Falcons-COA relationship. We saw what the COA will do to keep the Falcons. You won't see anything close to keep the Braves.

Twice I've heard the Braves publicly have disagreements with MARTA. Once over the suspension of the Turner Field shuttle and once at a season ticket holders' meeting where Shuerholz, as politely as possible, expressed disappointment over the lack of pursuit of an extension that was supposedly going to happen after the Olympics.

I'm a huge Braves fan and a huge SE Atlanta fan, but will readily admit having the Braves here has benefitted neither party. It's very likely that the best for both is for the Braves to find a new home.
The City did give the Braves a free stadium

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
The City did give the Braves a free stadium
The new stadium was built because of the Olympics, not the Braves - the Braves already had a stadium. And, "give" would mean free, which isn't entirely the case - there's a lease. https://law.marquette.edu/assets/spo...lb-atlanta.pdf

While Fulton County Stadium was dated, Turner Field has never had as high attendance as FCS did in '93 and '94. Atlanta Braves Attendance Records by Baseball Almanac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: