Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:56 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,803 times

Advertisements

So, was at the Braves game last night.................................WHICH LASTED FOREVER!!!
But, GO BRAVO!!! Can't win them all, but we are hard as .... to beat! We aren't losing easy!

But anyway, while I'm there I began to think about how every time I'm there, I can't help but notice the big green gap underneath the jumbo tron out in center field...
Then I start to think about some of the other, newer parks I've been to and how they have some sort of feature in the outfield that gives them a little character...

In Phoenix, if I remember right, they have a pool. I know in Denver, they have some mountain landscaping look. In LA/Angels stadium, there's a whole rock & waterfall thing that to me feels a little Disneyesque. Now, I know not all stadiums have something, but it makes me wonder if they could have done something with that space down there to give Turner Field some sort of character... Something else besides that enormous cow & coke bottle above.

Does anyone else ever think about this? If so, what do you imagine going there?
Anything that could SAY "Atlanta" character?

I've thought about maybe having a garden with a few small dogwood trees down there.
Or maybe a rock garden with statues of Braves Hall of Famers made of granite (because of Georgia's importance to granite industry).
Or maybe a large Magnolia Tree... But will that mess up the batters at home plate?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,067 times
That area is the batter's eye, and MLB restricts what can be done there so as not to reduce visibility of an oncoming pitch.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,565 times
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Not a very appealing design feature, but Gulch makes a good point.

Another thing I don't like is the padded blue wall behind home plate. Many ballparks have cool-looking brick walls (or brick facades) behind the plate. Why not do something similar at Turner Field? It would be an improvement that would add some character to the ballpark, IMO.

Overall, though, Turner Field is pretty well designed... but there's also that tunnel behind home plate, which distracts me a bit because there are constantly people milling about back there as they walk to their seats carrying food & beverages.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 08-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added content

Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
That's where extra turf is grown for the field. It'd be cool for a pool, its hot enough during most summers.
Id like to see it the home of chief knockahoma. Maybe setup an indian camp.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 PM

@Gulch - Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why I was asking if having a Magnolia would be a problem with batters there.
But there are some stadiums that DO have something beneath that batter's eye space.

@cqholt - I agree, a pool WOULD be cool but kind of copy cat, right? Since it's already done. Don't Tampa & Miami have something interesting there also, like pools or a sting ray pool?
And I never knew that THAT is what is going on (growing turf for the field). Maybe they can do that somewhere else, like outside the stadium?

@stillstuckinthesouth - I agree that Turner Field was pretty well designed. I'm not at all mad at or even disappointed in it. But I also think some character behind home plate would be pretty cool. I'd rather it be more unique than copy others' brick back drop. Is there anything else besides brick that would look cool? Maybe kudzu?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
@Gulch - Yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why I was asking if having a Magnolia would be a problem with batters there.
But there are some stadiums that DO have something beneath that batter's eye space.

@cqholt - I agree, a pool WOULD be cool but kind of copy cat, right? Since it's already done. Don't Tampa & Miami have something interesting there also, like pools or a sting ray pool?
And I never knew that THAT is what is going on (growing turf for the field). Maybe they can do that somewhere else, like outside the stadium?

@stillstuckinthesouth - I agree that Turner Field was pretty well designed. I'm not at all mad at or even disappointed in it. But I also think some character behind home plate would be pretty cool. I'd rather it be more unique than copy others' brick back drop. Is there anything else besides brick that would look cool? Maybe kudzu?

LOL No kudzu, please. That stuff will overtake the whole ballpark.

I know what you mean about those brick backdrops -- they've almost become the default backdrop. But that traditional look seems to fit well in ballparks, and it's definitely more attractive than those blue mats behind the plate at Turner Field. Come to think of it, Minnesota does something interesting -- I think they use locally sourced limestone which looks cool. Maybe they could use a Georgia-sourced material like that at Turner Field. Not Kudzu, though!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Maybe they could use a Georgia-sourced material like that at Turner Field. Not Kudzu, though!
Granite from Stone Mountain.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
LOL No kudzu, please. That stuff will overtake the whole ballpark.

I know what you mean about those brick backdrops -- they've almost become the default backdrop. But that traditional look seems to fit well in ballparks, and it's definitely more attractive than those blue mats behind the plate at Turner Field. Come to think of it, Minnesota does something interesting -- I think they use locally sourced limestone which looks cool. Maybe they could use a Georgia-sourced material like that at Turner Field. Not Kudzu, though!
LOL! I was really just kidding about the kudzu, but you got the point.
Could you imagine kudzu taking over the walls! Would be a huge mistake!

I know what you mean about the wall at Target Field (Minnesota). It is different, however personally I can't stand it. But I DO like that it's different. Just seeing that light, paper bag color just messes with my eyes for some reason. But that IS a nice stadium (or so it seems. Yet to have been there).

What things are Georgia-sourced?

Granite - Maybe a good choice
Kudzu - Nah...
Red Clay??? Lol
Dahlonega gold? - Far TOO expensive for just a wall that's going to get hit by foul balls & wild pitches.

Anything else???

Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,393,037 times
A peach orchard?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Granite from Stone Mountain.
Actually, thinking about it... That could be GREAT advertisement for Stone Mountain making it more prominent in Atlanta's tourism industry.

Imagine they make the wall behind the plate out of a slate grey granite (kind of like in Washington DC/Nationals Park), except, have part of that wall somewhat shaped and sculpted to look something like a miniture version of the face of Stone Mountain, with the whole 3 horsemen sculting and everything. And have it strategically off centered and placed so that when you watch the game on TV, you will see it without it being blocked by the pitcher, batter, catcher or umpire... People watch (for example) a Braves vs Dodgers playoff game would be bound to be curious about that wall sculpting they see during every pitch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta