Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM

26 posts, read 164,862 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from Florida soon to either Henry County - Heron Bay or Gwinnett - Buford. I am looking for a Dominican Hair stylist - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Um... the Dominican Republic, maybe? (if this is what you mean)

A bit confused. In another post you mention that you live in Florida but are originally from New York, not the Dominican Republic (?). What is a "Dominican Hair Stylist"? Just someone who does black hair? There are lots of black-owned salons in Gwinnett - they advertise in the yellow pages quite a bit.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Sorry that you are confused. A person can be from New York and the Dominican Republic at the same time its called herritage. Doing Dominican hair and black hair is not the same thing at all. The process used for years on the island of the Dominican Republic for wavy hair is also practiced in Dominican salons along with the products used. Not every non Dominican salon uses these island products or techniques. However, a Dominican salon is capable of doing hair from "very course" to "wavy" to "straight fine" hair - again the process is technique and not "chemicals". My question was regarding geographical location from my residence to the nearest "Dominica" salon. There are several in New York and Florida and normally where ever "Dominica's" reside. I guess I must be the first to come to Atlanta....scary.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tania0521 View Post
My question was regarding geographical location from my residence to the nearest "Dominica" salon. There are several in New York and Florida and normally where ever "Dominica's" reside. I guess I must be the first to come to Atlanta....scary.
Well, for the most part, you'll find that those who have relocated to Atlanta from foreign lands (or, from other states but who are from foreign lands), tend to hole themselves up into very self-segregated little areas. Asians in Chamblee/Doraville, Hispanics along Buford Highway, and in areas of Marietta and Smyrna, etc.

In my own area West of town, it turns out that there are a number of people from as they say it here, "the islands", as well as Africa (mostly Kenya). There was recently a murder that involved 3 Kenyan women found in a home, and until that happened and the other Kenyan came out to show support for the family, the locals and even the police had absolutely no idea whatsoever that there were so many folks from these areas who were in this part of town at all. Until this crisis came, they all had their own churches and completely kept to themselves socially, etc. For a stretch of many miles around here even with their supposedly large community, the only evidence you see of it is one "caribbean cafe" tiny restaurant, and one small caribbean grocery convenience store in a strip mall.

I think you'll find that is more the norm in most areas around than not, though of course, I'm sure eventually you'll find what you're looking for.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM

There again JUST looking for a Avacado deep conditioner and my ends clipped on an as needed basis.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:07 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
In Gwinett County there are a few Dominican Hair Salons just google it.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:57 AM

75 posts, read 553,738 times
There is a Domincan Salon on Hwy 42 in Stockbridge somewhere between Quick Trip & Church's chicken...there is also another on 19/41 near 138. I don't know the exact address but I can find out.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 AM

160 posts, read 600,798 times
such a smart alec again. I don't think I'd answer a thread that asked about Irish men's kilts or beer since none of those would apply to me or my interests and knowledge.

Tania, you won't be the first by far, don't let one post scare you. You'll probably find most of the established salons in Gwinnet. Henry county has alot of new Florida transplants. That's some good info to know. People were always saying to try a Dominican salon when I was in S. Florida and had trouble finding a stylist, but I've never done any research on what exactly is so different.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 21,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
such a smart alec again. I don't think I'd answer a thread that asked about Irish men's kilts or beer since none of those would apply to me or my interests and knowledge.

Tania, you won't be the first by far, don't let one post scare you. You'll probably find most of the established salons in Gwinnet. Henry county has alot of new Florida transplants. That's some good info to know. People were always saying to try a Dominican salon when I was in S. Florida and had trouble finding a stylist, but I've never done any research on what exactly is so different.
Ok, so you just admitted that you've never done any research on what exactly is so different about Dominican salons, but then you answered this post too? Just to call someone a smart alec? Didn't look like you gave the OP her specific answer either, so does that make you a smart alec as well?

Personally I've never heard of a Dominican salon either. If I had seen this earlier I would have posted to ask what the heck one was too. I hope she finds a good one where she's at. It would suck to have your hair destroyed by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and I know from black girlfriends that black hair is harder to work with anyway so I guess it's harder to mess up.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM

75 posts, read 553,738 times
The two salons I mentioned in my previous post advertise themselves as a 'Dominican' salon. I also want to try these salons. While driving by I noticed their signs in the window...'Dominican Hair Salon.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta