Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2024, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,326 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the previous information on this forum regarding private school applications. My son is entering 6th grade, and we are accepted to Lovett and Children's School, waitlisted for Pace. I wonder if anyone could provide some info on Lovett vs Children's school. Academically it seems Lovett might be a better choice, but I'm a bit concerned about the diversity (asian here) and christian practice. Also, what is the chance of being moved from the waitlist for Pace (our first choice)? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 05:38 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Well, one huge difference is that you'll have to do this all over again in two years if you choose The Children's School and want to stay in private school for high school. Children's School only goes through 8th grade while Lovett has a high school. So, I would certainly take that into account, as the SSAT is going to be required again. Lovett has a loose Judeo-Christian perspective, but it is definitely not as religious as other big privates. Chances of moving off the waitlist at Pace are not predictable. There are too many variables. It's possible, but you shouldn't count on it. You need to decide which of the other two is the best fit for your family and where your child will be happiest assuming Pace doesn't come through.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:54 AM

53 posts, read 87,403 times
We are not at any of these schools, but did strongly consider Pace and understand why you would love it. I suggest you immediately communicate to Pace (if you haven’t already) that they are your top choice and that you would take a spot if offered (you would also want to tell them to remove you from the pool if/after you accept elsewhere).

Between the other two, I’d pick Lovett. It is considered one of the “top 3” in Atlanta, goes through high school, and I know multiple families with kids currently or recently there who adore the school.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 986 times
Firstly, I must commend Lovett for its commendable efforts in promoting diversity within its student body. Over the past few years, there has been a noticeable increase in Asian representation on campus, reflecting Lovett's commitment to fostering a diverse learning environment. It's worth noting that Lovett is welcoming to students of all backgrounds, and religion poses no barrier for non-Christian families. Furthermore, Lovett offers a high-quality education, ensuring that students receive a well-rounded academic experience. In the event that a student finds that Lovett may not be the best fit for them, the transition to other esteemed institutions such as Pace or Westminster, or even prestigious boarding schools, is certainly feasible. I've witnessed several instances where Lovett students have seamlessly transferred to these institutions after middle school.

Regarding Pace, it's widely regarded as the second-ranked school in academics within the Buckhead area. For middle school admissions at Pace, it appears that priority is often given to legacy applicants and athletes. Then, most of the other applicants are put on the waitlist. It could be classified into 3 categories for waitlisted students (IMHO).

1. Highly competitive applicants who may also be strong contenders for Westminster. These students typically boast impressive SSAT scores (90%+) and excel in both sports and arts. Pace may be hesitant to extend offers until they have confirmation of the student's commitment.
2. Solid candidates with respectable SSAT scores (60-80%) who align well with Pace's values and ethos. While they may be highly regarded by the admissions team, Pace prioritizes legacy families and high-achieving students for initial offers due to limited spots (30) in middle school.
3. Other applicants who are placed on the waitlist to provide some reassurance to parents, although their chances of acceptance may be very slim.

If your son falls into categories 1 or 2, I would recommend reaching out to the admission team to express your strong interest in Pace. It's worth noting that the waitlist at Pace does see movement, so persistence and communication could yield positive outcomes. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2024, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,326 times
Thank you for all the helpful information. I contacted Pace expressing our strong interests again - waiting to hear back and might call again as well. Out of Lovett and TCS, we will likely choice Lovett for all the reasons discussed above - it goes through high school, has a higher academic reputation, and might benefit if we ultimately decide to apply out at a later stage. We might still try to wait for Pace until the last few hours, but not holding our breath after knowing how competitive this year is.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 2,511 times
Lovett is a MUCH better choice considering your son would have to reapply in a few years. We’ve been at TCS since Pre-K and now leaving after 4 yrs. TCS’ middle school is not as competitive as the others you mentioned and there currently are too many students at TCS with behavioral and learning difficulties. TCS’ LSASS Program will be the downfall of the school if they don’t get a better handle on this program. The teachers just are not equipped to handle 2-5 students, per class, with issues. It’s impossible. Lovett all the way.

Old Today, 04:34 AM

5 posts, read 9,687 times
I know timeframe has closed so dropping this here for future readers. Pace generally doesn’t have movement off the WL. (I’ve actually never heard of anyone getting off WL) It’s smaller in size and lets in fewer people than WM or L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: