Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,225 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I finally got the job offer today (yay!) and I'm a bit panicky about the move - especially where to live. I will be moving to ATL in a month (August 1). So here's a little bit more info:

1. Budget: prefer to spend: preferably under $800/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Apartment (renting)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I will have a car, work is in Lawrenceville (university)
4. Children: No children (single)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two I'd really prefer an urban lifestyle
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? It'd be nice but not a deal breaker
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: no preference as long as its relatively safe

The reason for the rent limit is because I am paying student loans and I can't afford a rent much higher than that. I do have a buddy that lives in Midtown and when I asked him, I sensed some bias in terms of neighborhoods. He has lived there for 2 years but he does not know a lot about the other neighborhoods. I originally looked at Tucker but my head is spinning. I was in Atlanta two weeks ago for the interview, but I did not have much chance to look for apartments (it was an overnighter and then returning home).

Any advise of where rent may be decent enough and the drive to Lawrenceville won't kill me (traffic)?

Thanks

LiNM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Well, this may not be what you want to hear, but if I were you.....I'd live in Lawrenceville!

If you're working at Gwinnett Tech, there are a few decent apartments right around there that would be a hop, skip, and a jump to work.

I highly recommend living close to work. If you don't, you're going to be commuting every single day. I know, I know, the nightlife and young people aren't in Lawrenceville. True! However, there are a few nearby pubs that are decent enough for a drink after work.

Instead of getting in the car and getting into traffic every single day to go to work, I recommend jumping to work in an instant. THEN, get in your car and commute to town on weekends for fun. You won't have any traffic, and you won't be totally beat down from commuting during the week and lack the energy to even go out. If you have a friend in midtown, boom, you already have a crash pad there if you have too much to drink! Even if you don't, you can still priceline a cheap motel in town once or twice a month for cheaper than you would spend on gas driving back and forth to work every day.

That's what I would do. If you hate it, you can always move, you're only renting. I always say, commute to fun, not to work.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, this may not be what you want to hear, but if I were you.....I'd live in Lawrenceville!

If you're working at Gwinnett Tech, there are a few decent apartments right around there that would be a hop, skip, and a jump to work.

I highly recommend living close to work. If you don't, you're going to be commuting every single day. I know, I know, the nightlife and young people aren't in Lawrenceville. True! However, there are a few nearby pubs that are decent enough for a drink after work.

Instead of getting in the car and getting into traffic every single day to go to work, I recommend jumping to work in an instant. THEN, get in your car and commute to town on weekends for fun. You won't have any traffic, and you won't be totally beat down from commuting during the week and lack the energy to even go out. If you have a friend in midtown, boom, you already have a crash pad there if you have too much to drink! Even if you don't, you can still priceline a cheap motel in town once or twice a month for cheaper than you would spend on gas driving back and forth to work every day.

That's what I would do. If you hate it, you can always move, you're only renting. I always say, commute to fun, not to work.
Great post, better than what I was going to say so will just Amen this one....

Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Thinking about what I said....I can totally relate to the idea of wanting to be where the action is. I mean, it's true, no matter what anybody says, when you live intown you go out more, get invited more places, and feel a lot less isolated.

What I said is still true, though, plus one big thing: You're really far away from being able to afford anything decent near midtown, VaHi, or any of the cool intown areas you'd want to be in.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Thinking about what I said....I can totally relate to the idea of wanting to be where the action is.
Who says Lawrenceville is not where the action is? Pop into McCray's or Dominick's and tell me it's not bumping.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
I wholeheartedly agree with ATLTJL. This is what I would do in your situation. You might want to search for some apartment complexes that have more students, so there are more younger people around (?) less low-income locals that are inundating suburban apartment complexes.

You might also want to consider apartments more to the northwest of Lawrenceville or closer to I-85 going north.

You'll find more singles in the exurban/suburban border apartment complexes, than you will closer to Gwinnett Place or more intown of Lawrenceville.

The amount you'll save from higher rent intown -and- a long commute will make up for any expense paying for parking and driving into town for entertainment.... and the occasional long taxi ride.

Lawrenceville itself is actually charming for day-to-day lunch or an easy early dinner after work.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 AM

10 posts, read 14,466 times
Yeah, I would agree. Lawrenceville is more for families, but you'll find a lot of apartments. Younger folks do head more towards midtown but you won't find much in that price range. Maybe you could find a roommate? If you do, then you can certainly look more towards buckhead.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Sorry to tell you this but..... you won't be able to live easily or comfortably in midtown. Not unless you can manage to switch your hours around (7-4?) and not unless you are alright with a 35 minute commute in the morning and a 50 minute commute in the evening.

$800 is enough for one half or one third of a decent house or apartment in town if you are willing to deal with roommates.

I would avoid Buckhead as a place to live until you are making Buckhead money or find work around there... it is not an easy place to get in and out of when traffic backs up.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,225 times
Guys,

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to be close to work since I've been spoiled by living in a small rural town out west where work is 2 blocks from my place. I found a place or two I am interested and I'll be paying a visit within the next few weeks.

Thanks again for the feedback- you guys rock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta