Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
I would just be mindful of the area around North Ave and Piedmont. Its not necessarily bad or crime ridden, but there are alot of homeless that are in the area due to the shelter thats over there. They're not really a danger but can be annoying at times. Also that area is close to an area of Boulevard that is considered to be pretty hood. So in that general area, I would be a little cautious, however, you shouldn't have too many issues, I just wouldn't personally be out alone with my phone all out or listening to music. Other than that, anywhere in midtown would be perfectly fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
It's amazing to me that you can pick just about any street or neighborhood in Atlanta and some urban pioneer or another will tell you it's perfectly safe. I don't know if it's wishful thinking or they just have an incredibly high tolerance for homeless people, drugs, and criminal activity. Personally, if I was going to generalize, I'd never live anywhere south of 10th unless maybe (a BIG maybe) it was directly on Peachtree. There are just too many spotty areas around there for my liking. I'd rather not have to pick my routes based on safety and continually look over my shoulder at night.
On the flip side, it is amazing to me that you can pick just about any street or neighborhood in Atlanta and some easily frightened person will tell you that you are in grave danger just walking on that street lol!

I honestly don't see any issues with North Ave in Midtown either. North Ave by my house is way more dangerous than North Ave in Midtown, so I think as an "urban pioneer" I just have a more realistic view of "danger" than someone who is more afraid of things than I am. In regards to that area's accessibility to Boulevard that is actually pretty funny! I live off North Ave and I live less than a mile from GA Tech and to me it is like saying people shouldn't go to, work at, or live on Tech's campus because it is close to English Avenue lol.

There are "spotty" areas all over this city, I will even say all over the metro area. Anywhere in Midtown will be safe to the Midtown standard. That said, there is crime in Midtown. But the OP would be just as safe in the North Ave area than he would be in any other area in Midtown for the most part. Also, there is no true "safe" place. And from practically all of the major streets in Atlanta (FYI Ponce is one block north of North Avenue yet people are saying it is "safer" lol it is also close to Boulevard!) you are only a stones throw away from a "hood" area if you just drive a couple miles. Atlanta is funny and interesting like that. You can find some neighborhoods that aren't as close to the "hood" places but they will be nothing like Midtown and will not have an urban feel like that area does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Be the judge for yourself. APD Zone 5

Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Be the judge for yourself. APD Zone 5
Interesting. Looked for the period between 6/13 and today and there weren't many crimes near North Ave compared to other areas of Midtown. Also it looks like the "safest" areas, at least for the past 6 months are between Piedmont on the west, 10th St to the north, and North Ave/Ponce to the south with an eastern boundary near Grady High to the east. Near Peachtree St (which is what I personally felt would be the hotbed) looks to be the least safe. The one homicide in Midtown looks to have happened near Peachtree and 14th St.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,102 times
^Domestic dispute.

Suspect in fatal Midtown shooting identified | www.ajc.com

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Figured as such. Most homicides are domestic dispute related, which is one of the other reasons why I don't get all afraid in regards to certain crime statistics. Most people who are violent crime victims and especially homicide victims are assaulted/murdered by people they know as a result of some sort of personal dispute no matter what the neighborhood.

So the best way to be "safe" is to watch your surroundings, not associate or befriend hotheaded people, and not to be hotheaded yourself and be humble enough to let someone win an argument.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
I feel safer in Midtown than I did living in Gwinnett.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
I've lived in Midtown on North Ave for years and if your city smart its perfectly fine. Remember that it is within the Midtown boundaries so you also have Midtown Blue (off duty police officers) patroling and many of the condos and apartments in the area are secure either with concierge or security gates. Another 300 apartments are being built right in that area right now. Most of the complaints are either late at night or regarding homeless people which figures to lessen if the Pine shelter ever closes as the city wants or when the new Emory proton center opens (rumored Starbucks will be going in there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting. Looked for the period between 6/13 and today and there weren't many crimes near North Ave compared to other areas of Midtown. Also it looks like the "safest" areas, at least for the past 6 months are between Piedmont on the west, 10th St to the north, and North Ave/Ponce to the south with an eastern boundary near Grady High to the east. Near Peachtree St (which is what I personally felt would be the hotbed) looks to be the least safe. The one homicide in Midtown looks to have happened near Peachtree and 14th St.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times
Wow, blast from the past guys... I posted that like half a year ago. I guess I need to put some water on this fire.

First, I said I was generalizing, so of course anything following that is going to a sweeping generalization. Don't take it so literally. I didn't say all of Midtown was a war zone, I just said there are too many spotty areas for my liking south of 10th. That's a statement about myself, not Midtown. I'm not scared of cities. In fact I live in Midtown, but in the northern part obviously

Second, things are changing rapidly in the area. Since I made that post two new apartment towers have opened, condos have filled up, and there's more pedestrian activity. It's a lot different now than it was just a year ago, and a year from now it will be even better.

It's been a little while since I've been around the Ponce area at night, but it used to be absolutely crawling with vagrants, dealers, and prostitutes. I'm sure it's not bad as it used to be given how much things have changed farther north. Of course I used to see some of that up here to a lesser degree, but more recently I haven't been approached by anyone or seen anyone particularly sketchy in months (outside of one guy trying to sell me drugs).

That said, there IS still quite a bit of crime in the southern part of Midtown, especially around the single family homes south of Piedmont Park. An awful lot of robberies occur there considering the low amount of foot traffic... in fact, wasn't a guy carjacked in front of his own house in that area recently? I think a woman was beaten in a home invasion not long after that. Those are the kinds of things I don't have any tolerance for.

Anyway, things are definitely heading in the right direction. We might have different tastes but I think we can all agree on that.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
I feel safer in Midtown than I did living in Gwinnett.
My daughter lived in Midtown for five years (until late last year) at 7th and Peachtree. She went about her business, almost always on foot, every day. Now she had horse sense (a woman alone at night, don't walk to the Midtown Station unaccompanied, yadda yadda), but she never felt that she was in a particularly unsafe environment.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My daughter lived in Midtown for five years (until late last year) at 7th and Peachtree. She went about her business, almost always on foot, every day. Now she had horse sense (a woman alone at night, don't walk to the Midtown Station unaccompanied, yadda yadda), but she never felt that she was in a particularly unsafe environment.
Folks don't always realize they are in danger.

Not saying that was the case with your daughter but it's possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta