Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times

Advertisements

Using Google Maps Engine light, I created a map showing the current Atlanta Streetcar and future likely expansions of the network.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.k1R9J4OIxbWs

This is based off lines that, I believe, are most likely to happen. I have added some wishful modifications, heck, the whole thing is kinda wishful. Based off my research, it seems like the NorthWest Line will be the hardest to build out. Regardless, these are not pie in the sky / transit nerd fantasy lines. These have a decent chance, in some form, of becoming reality.

Using the layers on the side, you can uncheck the stations box to get a less cluttered view. Some of the station names are stupid, but that's just for now.

Let me know any comments or revisions you think would work better. I encourage everyone interested to build your own map, its really easy and fun. I will eventually work on a fantasy map that is (somewhat) grounded in reality on how I think transit could best develop in Atlanta.

Create your own at http://mapsengine.google.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,279,090 times
This is a pretty good map. There are a couple of other lines I would add, such as a line heading north from the west end of the downtown streetcar up luckie street, then joining the west midtown line.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
I like it, but have a couple of suggestions.

Mine are based on the North Ave./West Midtown Line and the West Midtown Line.

I would have the line from Arts Center terminate at the Waterworks Park, or possibly jog down Howell Mill then down Huff to meet up with the Beltline on the far end.

The West Midtown Line I would start up at the District at Howell Mill (or hey, why not a few hundred feet more to hit the food park), and run it straight down Howell Mill and Marietta Street all the way to the Downtown Streetcar. Cut that jog around Northside.

The North Ave line would come across North Ave, jog up Northside (where I said to cut it form above) and then down Hollowell until it hits the Beltline at Maddox Park. There would be a transfer station at Marietta Street, even though they are on two different levels.

Oh, and run a line up Marietta Blvd. for reasons that are totally unselfish.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
Oh wow, some people actually looked at it! Thanks for the input folks.

These lines were primarily designed to show what is more likely to be built. It seems the city has a good deal on interest in cross Midtown lines. The little touch I added that I like (obviously) is that the North Ave line serves the English Ave area.

But what I would really like to see is a line that originates at the MMPT, hooks up Marietta or Luckie st, and terminates at Arts Center. In turn, I would make the North Ave and 10th St line into a loop, making the east side of the line run through VaHi. That area is perfect for a streetcar line.

My next project will be to make what should be the entire Atlanta Streetcar network, fantasy edition, with a little grounding in reality.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
It seems to me we need to focus our very scarce transit dollars on serving the areas that are heavily developed and that have large numbers of jobs and residents. (And that pay the freight for city government).

As other areas build up they can be added to the system, but we can't afford any "bridges to nowhere" at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta