Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,193 times

Advertisements

[
Hi to all!
We are moving to Georgia at the end of this month - and have no idea where we will live! I have been looking into all areas within 45 - 60 minutes of drive time from McDonough - I am more confused now than I was in the beginning of searching! I am at wits end!
We are from the Northeast - we did live in Florida for a spell - so somewhat familar with the South. We want to live in a SAFE area - we do not equate having a high Black population with crime. We feel crime is an equal opportunity thing - it matters not what race a person is - if a life of crime is their way it is.
To be honest I am pertified about moving into Georgia from all that I have read. I have kids so of course I checked the Sex Offenders sites for information - I was shocked!
We spent less than 24 hours in Atlanta in August 2005 - my husband had a job interview - it was not in the best area (near the stadium) - we lived outside of Ocala Fl at the time in a small community - you know the kind - people at the family owned grocery store knew who you were! We are now living in a small town - we have always lived in small towns and cities - so major a city the size of Atlanta is a bit overwhelming! We live in an area where we get Boston news and it does not scare me the way all of the talk about Georgia does!
I have looked at houses in Stone Mtn - looked like a nice rental - then I read about the crime! I have checked into rentals in all the counties around metro Atlanta and Jasper County seems to be the best so far - to be honest the cost of rent is higher in GA than in some parts of Massachusetts. My husband is due to be at work on 11-06 - he is being transferred to McDonough.
Any ideas anyone might have would be greatfully appreciated. I sincerely do not want to hurt feelings on what I have said about the area - and if I have I am sorry.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 07:06 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
I would look into McDonough. Why commute if you don't have to. The schools are good there, low crime, pretty nice area. You aren't going to significantly raise your quality of life by commuting 45 minutes to somewhere slightly nicer.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Peachtree city and other cities in Fayette county are good choices.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:11 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
Newnan isn't too far away either

Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 PM

71 posts, read 326,366 times
mcdonough is so very beautiful..very peaceful, small country town.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
To be honest I am pertified about moving into Georgia from all that I have read. I have kids so of course I checked the Sex Offenders sites for information - I was shocked!
We spent less than 24 hours in Atlanta in August 2005 - my husband had a job interview - it was not in the best area (near the stadium) - we lived outside of Ocala Fl at the time in a small community - you know the kind - people at the family owned grocery store knew who you were! We are now living in a small town - we have always lived in small towns and cities - so major a city the size of Atlanta is a bit overwhelming! We live in an area where we get Boston news and it does not scare me the way all of the talk about Georgia does!
The first thing I'd say is don't worry. Atlanta, more than other large metro areas, is going through significant growing pains. One of the consequences of such rapid (and poorly planned) growth is that folks who have always lived here feel put upon; put out; threatened. Yes, Atlanta is a big city and as such there's going to be city-like crime. But you're smart not to buy into the out-dated notion that Blacks=crime. Being mugged by a White guy in Denver can't be any better than being mugged by a Black guy in Atlanta.

Now once you get outside of Atlanta proper, you have lots choices of smaller communities. And try not to feel as though there's only one community to live in, and the rest are crime havens. Not the case. If you come from Boston, then you know that Roxbury and Southie aren't always the best places to live, but that they're not your only choices either.

My advice would be to recognize that talk is cheap. If Atlanta is as bad as some people say it is, ask yourself this: why are they still here? And why is business and employment so strong here? Once you get past the fear factor, you'll be able to see things much clearer and have a lot more peace of mind.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,946 times
Hi, very interesting comments and concern about moving to Georgia. Well, I have lived in Mcdonough for the past 3 years, and I am still discovering new communities everytime. I love it there, one of the most sought after school districts. My kids love it there as well, there are many activities for the kids and adults alike to do and get involved in, through the recreation centre.
There are many parks, beautiful homes, I would say a predominantly white neighborhood, little or no crime, never had a problem. All the major stores and resources are nearby. Many times people tend to think that should they live in Mcdonough they would be in the boondocks, with little or no basic resources. There's Walmart, Costco, Krogers, Publix. Sam's, and all the chain restaurants. Not to mention doctors, banks, churches etc.

You definitely need a car, there's no public transportation, but for someone accustomed to a small town living, you will definitely enjoy. I say go for it, and good luck.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,449 times
Heron Bay is a nice area somewhat close to McDonough GA

Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,372 times
Definitely consider McDonough - there is a Henry County Transit service for bus service within the county and the Marta Xpress bus service makes connects with downtown for those working in other areas that don't want to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta