Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times

Advertisements

BET "Comic View" has been resurrected after a five-year break and taping in Atlanta starting as early as next month. Sommore, who hosted the show in 1994, will be back as the host this upcoming season.
The last time the show aired in 2008, Kevin Hart was host. (And his career has since skyrocketed.)
BET has shot "Comic View" a couple of times before, the last time around 2000 with Rickey Smiley as host.
A BET spokesman said he didn't know where they'd shoot the show.
Bounce TV has used Center Stage in Midtown for its stand-up comedy show "Off the Chain."
Other past "Comic View" hosts included J. Anthony Brown (who is now part of TV One's 'The Rickey Smiley Show"), D.L. Hughley, Cedric the Entertainer and Bruce Bruce. BET now shoots a bulk of its original programming out of Atlanta, including the the BET Hip Hop Awards, "The Game," "Sunday Best," "Let's Stay Together," "Reed Between the Lines," "Being Mary Jane" and "Second Generation Wayans."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I think it's probably only a matter of time before BET moves to Atlanta altogether. It's really a no-brainer, given how the TV/film industry has taken off here and Atlanta's status as Black cultural/entertainment capital.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
It amazes me at how African Americans can keep laughing and joking around when our black teenagers are terrorizing and killing there own people. Just this morning it was a drive by shooting in a quiet South Fulton neighborhood at a innocence teenagers who was just walking home. We as a African American community need to stop laughing and joking, and deal with the anger and senseless crimes that our black youth are committing. Although BET moving here would be a good thing, black entertainers and political leaders need to address and come up with solutions to all the senseless crime being committed by youth, then we go back to laughing again. Also someone got stab as they were leaving a Church in College Park, Ga last night also. It's time to stop laughing.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
i think it's probably only a matter of time before bet moves to atlanta altogether. It's really a no-brainer, given how the tv/film industry has taken off here and atlanta's status as black cultural/entertainment capital.
This!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It amazes me at how African Americans can keep laughing and joking around when our black teenagers are terrorizing and killing there own people. Just this morning it was a drive by shooting in a quiet South Fulton neighborhood at a innocence teenagers who was just walking home. We as a African American community need to stop laughing and joking, and deal with the anger and senseless crimes that our black youth are committing. Although BET moving here would be a good thing, black entertainers and political leaders need to address and come up with solutions to all the senseless crime being committed by youth, then we go back to laughing again. Also someone got stab as they were leaving a Church in College Park, Ga last night also. It's time to stop laughing.
And this! Thank God there are still some African Americans who aren't afraid to say that black people need to start taking better care of other black people ... who understand that change needs to come from within and that it starts with stronger homes. Yet when President Obama said the same thing a few months ago, he was accused of "throwing black people under the bus" ...

Mr. President, Stop Throwing Black People Under the Bus - News & Views - EBONY

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-18-2013 at 05:16 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it's probably only a matter of time before BET moves to Atlanta altogether. It's really a no-brainer, given how the TV/film industry has taken off here and Atlanta's status as Black cultural/entertainment capital.
I agree. Too bad they didnt move to Atlanta in the mid 90s during the golden years of Hip Hop and when BET had good programs like Teen Summit and Rap City

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 07-18-2013 at 06:01 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM

259 posts, read 394,099 times
Quote:

So black people need to stop enjoying life and be depressed and angry all the time until all issues are solved?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Then we need to just shut down all forms of entertainment since violence occurs everywhere in this country involving people of all races. This makes no sense whatsoever. As strangejelly said, you expect Black people to be depressed and to deprive ourselves of entertainment until there are zero crimes in the U.S. involving Black people?

And why should all the burden be shifted to entertainers and political leaders? What are YOU doing personally the solve the problem as you perceive it?

Let's not even deal with your implication that Blacks are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time, as if we can't go to a movie or comedy show and also donate to causes, volunteer, mentor, etc. I really do take issue with that line of thinking as it's borderline dehumanizing.

At any rate, this is a HUGE digression (which really shouldn't be a surprise). Let's try and stay on topic here, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And this! Thank God there are still some African Americans who aren't afraid to say that black people need to start taking better care of other black people ... who understand that change needs to come from within and that it starts with stronger homes. Yet when President Obama said the same thing a few months ago, he was accused of "throwing black people under the bus" ...

Mr. President, Stop Throwing Black People Under the Bus - News & Views - EBONY
I'm sorry, but your insinuation that this is somehow a minority POV in Black America is misguided. Too many people rely on the media to inform their opinions about these sorts of things, but any Black person or anyone in general truly plugged into the Black community knows that this is a point made and heard quite often. As far as that particular editorial goes, the writer simply perceived a lack of balance in the president's approach. To be sure, there's a cultural element at work here but that doesn't give us permission to ignore the structural issues that are present.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:25 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. I'm not going to mope around and be sad because other people are committing heinous crimes that match or nearly match my skin color. They aren't me and they certainly don't represent me. I'm going to continue living my life the way I want to live it, not what others want me to live it.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Anybody going to any of the tapings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: