Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,935 times

Advertisements

I'm happy about two things:

1) The braves are thinking about making their current stadium work, meaning they don't want to move to the suburbs.
2) They are looking into investing in a form of public transit

I'd rather it happen than not happen at all, but I think it would be great to connect it directly to 5 points to avoid the huge number of people on the red/gold line from having to transfer rather than Georgia State. Also, if they are going to pay to have it go to Turner Field, give people in the neighborhoods better access. Extend it the mile or so extra down Georgia Ave to connect it to Zoo Atlanta, so that it serves a purpose the rest of the year when baseball isn't in season. That way, tourists will use it, but residents of Summerhill, Grant Park, and the surrounding neighborhoods will also use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd love to see a line running E/W south of I-20, running to the Zoo/Grant Park, Ormewood/Glenwood Park, EAV, Cascade, etc., and connecting to the stadium, at which point it could tie in to the existing E/W MARTA line.
I agree that I would love to see a Turner field stop integrated in with HRT along the I-20 East initiative, which already has Turner Field station as one of the optional stations in the plan.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Where's Gtcorndog? I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Where's Gtcorndog? I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this.
I can wait.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
I'm just waiting for some ******* to go on a rant about "boondoggles." You know, because any big idea that costs money is a great opportunity for the anti-transit crowd to use their favorite idiot-rallying cry in authentic frontier gibberish. "Con-frackity rackity! Dag-burn boondoggle!"
I think it would likely be a boondoggle. And I don't even own a car.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
I'd like to see the proposed costs, but I'd much rather spend the money in any other number of ways. A couple better uses of money include extending MARTA HRT up Georgia 400, or just relocating the stadium to the current Dome site.

I understand this line will extend from Georgia State Station to Turner? That's very suboptimal. A slight improvement at best over the status quo. A single transfer to a bus vs a double transfer to a Maglev is basically a wash to me. For East-West line folks it would be an improvement, granted.

You've also got a rolling stock problem with this or a streetcar. To support any proposed development imaginable down at Turner, you're going to need very modest capacity. but the stadium itself after a ballgame puts many thousands of fans straight into the system. In this sense, buses actually work pretty well: you can just queue up a bunch of buses for the 81 times a year this happens and be done with it. But designing a fixed rail system around this situation would increase the costs of the line dramatically.

I've ridden Maglev in Shanghai and it's cool and all, but even in transit-hungry China it's regarded as a white elephant. They are investing massively in the subway system (to the tune of a dozen new stations a year), but they still don't seem serious about finishing the Maglev system that's only half-built.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,935 times
Unless I read something wrong, doesn't it say this is a private venture by Maglev and Turner Field? If that's the case, then unless it's extended past Turner Field, the city wouldn't be paying for it, right? I might be understanding it completely wrong, but I thought that is what private meant - private companies pay for it, like the new ferris wheel downtown.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Unless I read something wrong, doesn't it say this is a private venture by Maglev and Turner Field? If that's the case, then unless it's extended past Turner Field, the city wouldn't be paying for it, right? I might be understanding it completely wrong, but I thought that is what private meant - private companies pay for it, like the new ferris wheel downtown.
I am on board with that idea of private transit. But I read it as a private company will build it if they get paid to build it via a agreement reached with the Braves and the city. However, the article really does not specify. At least in the free sample, anyone have a subscription and provide the details on this?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM

246 posts, read 374,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Exactly! This is a private venture. The Braves are probably sick of hearing it from the fans who <GASP!> can't bear to ride a shuttle bus & since MARTA & the city not doing anything about it, they are doing something on their own.

Of course, now everyone is complaining that this private venture only has the interests of the private entities who are funding it at heart. So selfish of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I'd like to see the proposed costs, but I'd much rather spend the money in any other number of ways. A couple better uses of money include extending MARTA HRT up Georgia 400, or just relocating the stadium to the current Dome site.
It's a private venture. Why should you care cares what it costs? This actually frees MARTA up to invest elsewhere & stop worrying about putting in a line to Turner Field.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Exactly. Given they want this up and running by 2015 I don't think the Braves would want to wait for Marta to extend assuming Marta actually had concrete plans to do so. I don't believe Marta has any plans to move forward with new track, do they? I would bet the Braves talked to Marta and made a business determination that the prospects of marta expanding and the time frame in which they could do it was not feasible with their timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Exactly! This is a private venture. The Braves are probably sick of hearing it from the fans who <GASP!> can't bear to ride a shuttle bus & since MARTA & the city not doing anything about it, they are doing something on their own.

Of course, now everyone is complaining that this private venture only has the interests of the private entities who are funding it at heart. So selfish of them!

It's a private venture. Why should you care cares what it costs? This actually frees MARTA up to invest elsewhere & stop worrying about putting in a line to Turner Field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta