Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
Same here. My grandfather lived in Inman Park in the 30s/40s and if he said he wanted a Coke that's what he meant. I've never once heard an Atlantan ask for a Coke when they want something different.
Same here. The notion that Atlantans say Coke no matter what soft drink they actually want is another one of those myths that people like to make up about the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Same here. The notion that Atlantans say Coke no matter what soft drink they actually want is another one of those myths that people like to make up about the south.
In my neck of the woods this was not a myth. Children would say I want a purple coke if they wanted grape Fanta or a pepper coke when they wanted Dr. Pepper.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
In my neck of the woods this was not a myth. Children would say I want a purple coke if they wanted grape Fanta or a pepper coke when they wanted Dr. Pepper.
No kidding? (Not saying I doubt you).

I grew up in the south and have lots of old time southern friends and relatives. My grandaddy was a sharecropper (as well as a country preacher, general store keeper and several other things), yet even among the country folk I have never heard that. They would come in the store say things like, "Give me a Nehi" or "I'll have a chocolate soldier" or "Let me get an RC and a Moon Pie."

Cokes (a/k/a Co-Colers) were pretty specific.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 PM

284 posts, read 590,804 times
Quote:
Agreed, in the 70s/80s I heard people ask for orange coke or purple coke. And there was no greater affront to certain ladies I knew who asked for "coke" and were then told "Is Pepsi ok?"!
My best friend in elementary school's "MeMaw" (descended from one of the old settler families who have a road and neighborhood named after their mill) would drink Coke simply out of loyalty, as the company paid her teacher's salary during the Depression and apparently helped support many city services that otherwise had no money. She was completely offended by "New Coke" and try to organize boycotts of the concoction by several venerable luncheon spots

The very strange thing about this whole "all sodas are coke" thing is the fact that Atlanta/GA actually produced umpteen brands of sodas.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:42 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Remember Yoo Hoos? Now, that was a treat!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Remember Yoo Hoos? Now, that was a treat!
Yoo Hoos? Those things were the Chateau Lafite Rothschild of the cola world!

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Agreed, in the 70s/80s I heard people ask for orange coke or purple coke. And there was no greater affront to certain ladies I knew who asked for "coke" and were then told "Is Pepsi ok?"!
My best friend in elementary school's "MeMaw" (descended from one of the old settler families who have a road and neighborhood named after their mill) would drink Coke simply out of loyalty, as the company paid her teacher's salary during the Depression and apparently helped support many city services that otherwise had no money. She was completely offended by "New Coke" and try to organize boycotts of the concoction by several venerable luncheon spots

The very strange thing about this whole "all sodas are coke" thing is the fact that Atlanta/GA actually produced umpteen brands of sodas.
I swear my niece and nephew would say purple coke and pepper coke. The colloquial use of the word "Coke" is in a more generic sense like this: "Let's go get a coke" meaning let's go get a cool drink at the store. Once there you might get a Sprite or Fanta or any other number of options... you would never ask for a Coke when you wanted a Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper, you would then move to specificity in your "Coke" at that point.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I swear my niece and nephew would say purple coke and pepper coke.
I'll be darned. Those are new ones on me. So a purple coke would be a grape soda and a pepper coke would be something like a Dr. Pepper?

Quote:
The colloquial use of the word "Coke" is in a more generic sense like this: "Let's go get a coke" meaning let's go get a cool drink at the store. Once there you might get a Sprite or Fanta or any other number of options... you would never ask for a Coke when you wanted a Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper, you would then move to specificity in your "Coke" at that point.
Yeah, now I have heard that.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
They still got them (now I have a craving for one!)

Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
Quote:
I never knew. Thanks for the interesting tidbit

Quote:
No kidding? (Not saying I doubt you).

Cokes (a/k/a Co-Colers) were pretty specific.
That's how my grandpa pronounced it!

Quote:
I almost bought a six pack the other day but talked myself out of it. I might have to go pick some up. Maybe an Rc Cola and a vanilla Moon Pie too, heated in the microwave. And some Cow Tales! Oh, and my personal favorite, Coconut Long Boys! Delicious! I've enjoyed the comments on the last page. Now I'm off to the
Corner Grocery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta