Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,323 times

Advertisements

A new buyer out of South Carolina has bought the historic Maple St Mansion in Carrollton. It was built in 1890 by the Mandeville family and was th first house in Carrollton with running water. I've heard that lady Mandeville convinced the union army to spare it when they were in the area.

Now a demolition permit has been issued, based on if repairs needed will be too costly. Channel 2 came out today to meet with sign-wielding anti-demolition protestors. Over 8,000 people joined a "Save the Mansion" Facebook group, but only 15 of us actually showed up. I realize today is a work day but still, 15 people is a pathetic turn out.

Does no one care enough to stand up for history anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Where do we draw the line though? I'm sure you could fix it so every building ever built is "historic" in some fashion and wind up never being able to build anything new. I don't see being the first with running water in the city as being particularly historic. Save the fixtures and some of the piping, sure, but to keep the entirety of the structure, which really has very little to do with the plumbing is a bit much.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
A new buyer out of South Carolina has bought the historic Maple St Mansion in Carrollton. It was built in 1890 by the Mandeville family and was th first house in Carrollton with running water. I've heard that lady Mandeville convinced the union army to spare it when they were in the area.

Now a demolition permit has been issued, based on if repairs needed will be too costly. Channel 2 came out today to meet with sign-wielding anti-demolition protestors. Over 8,000 people joined a "Save the Mansion" Facebook group, but only 15 of us actually showed up. I realize today is a work day but still, 15 people is a pathetic turn out.

Does no one care enough to stand up for history anymore?
The Union army was out burning houses in 1890??

If this is the house that I'm thinking of it was used as a nightclub. I actually went there a couple times in college. If memory serves me correctly the inside has been heavily remodeled and there wasn't much historic left inside. Also, it was in pretty rough shape. I doubt the house is really salvageable. I love old buildings, but not every one needs/should be saved.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Where do we draw the line though? I'm sure you could fix it so every building ever built is "historic" in some fashion and wind up never being able to build anything new. I don't see being the first with running water in the city as being particularly historic. Save the fixtures and some of the piping, sure, but to keep the entirety of the structure, which really has very little to do with the plumbing is a bit much.
I think there should be a line for what is "historic", but I'm pretty sure being built in 1890 qualifies. Although, I'm not sure how the Union Army spared it if it was built in 1890 - Civil War was 1860s - the Union was back together, and the army shouldn't have been burning anything at that point. Anyway, it is sad to see something that is well over 100 years old be destroyed. A google search of the Maple Street Mansion pulls up a number of results, meaning it is probably significant for the town. Personally, I think this is worth putting up a fight to save, and hopefully it is not deemed irreparable.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think there should be a line for what is "historic", but I'm pretty sure being built in 1890 qualifies. Although, I'm not sure how the Union Army spared it if it was built in 1890 - Civil War was 1860s - the Union was back together, and the army shouldn't have been burning anything at that point. Anyway, it is sad to see something that is well over 100 years old be destroyed. A google search of the Maple Street Mansion pulls up a number of results, meaning it is probably significant for the town. Personally, I think this is worth putting up a fight to save, and hopefully it is not deemed irreparable.

You're right, duh I completely got my facts mixed up. Lady Mandeville got them to spare another earlier house on the property that was later destroyed.

Nevertheless, it's worth keeping-- Atlanta has enough newer structures, strip malls, etc. once these beautiful buildings are gone, they're gone forever

Old 01-17-2014, 04:07 PM

194 posts, read 317,536 times
What if the renovations are too expensive? Doesn't the new owner have the choice and right to do what they want with his/her property? I love older structures and really appreciate the craftsmanship and history of them, but renovations on older homes and buildings can really be costly. (been through the whole "money pit" thing)

But looking at the picture, I hope the home can be spared and return to its former historic glory. I agree that we tear down way too many historic buildings and we need to conserve more. Anyone remember the time when they were trying to tear down THE FOX THEATER. The "save the Fox" campaign really worked and thank God it did!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
If this were an important issue to me, I'd spend less time picketing and more time fund raising. Your beef is with the new owner and if money is the potential problem then give her some with an agreement of course.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post

Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Well, it's not a particularly attractive house IMO ... the fact that half the front yard is a parking lot and there's a water tower in the back doesn't help. But I'm one of those people who thinks ALL historic structures should be saved, it at all possible, just because we've lost far too many over the years for no good reason, and people always look back and regret the decision to destroy them.

But again, that water may have already passed under the bridge. If this home was so historic and worth preserving, why hasn't anybody tried to do something about it before now? Why hasn't the city or the local historic society stepped in to fight for it before now? Why was it allowed to be gutted on the inside and used as a nightclub?

Doesn't sound like this house has gotten much respect ...

Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM

268 posts, read 949,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
That picture looks like a spooky old funeral home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta