Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Residential and Commerical Construction be severly limited in Atlanta due to the drought?
Yes, they should limit development until it is solved 18 85.71%
No, it will destroy the economy 3 14.29%
Maybe, who knows 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:09 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,549 times

Advertisements

I have not read anything about local governments doing anything about the number one reason for the shortage of water- out of control and poorly planned growth- since the drought. You would think that they would put a limit on construction until they have the water issue solved. Am I missing something?

Do you think they should basically stop all construction until they find a solution to the water crisis?

Last edited by goodtype; 11-13-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
There has to be some form of restriction on just handing out permits like lollipops. But pulling the plug entirely is too drastic a solution.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Paulding County (western burbs) I believe recently put some stops on new permits, but there are tons of construction projects that already had received the go-ahead that haven't even started yet. So you'll see new stuff still going up for some time. That's the only county so far I've heard of that's done anything.

You have to keep in mind that tons of the local politicians have relatives and good buddy friends who are in the construction business. Unless you're talking about the region literally getting to the stage where the ground looks like Death Valley and there are cow remains on the roads, you will never see most of them put caps on their "buddies" businesses.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,179 times
I *think* Douglas County currently has a moratorium on all new residential construction.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 21,015 times
I remember when I lived in California, we had all types of droughts and the city slowed down the new building permits....HOWEVER, some builders must have "known some people" b/c they kept building like always.

This drought is pretty scary. We just need a few heavy storms to come in here and start to fill up our lakes....oh, and they probably need to release "less" water from Lanier. =) Just a thought?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Only Douglas County has stopped permits (unless you want to pay for a well) but Douglas is supposedly close to empty on water.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
I voted 'No', not exactly b/c it would destroy the economy but b/c they should have limited it long ago, and not only for water.

I live in Acworth, and I believe our Mayor has used his seat (he has no vote but influence) to profit from his several businesses and/or businesses he has investments in. Bringing in more tax money helps him 'provide/give' things which makes him look good and allows him to continue in his other ventures.

This drought is temporary, we were 20 feet over normal pool just a few years ago, the corp let out too much water last year b/c of a gauge/meter, we needed these 'other' resevoirs 13 years ago.

...Although you could say that if we didn't have all these illegal immigrants working construction, living here, reproducing, using water, allowing those w/o jobs some construction jobs....the development might not need to be severly limited......

Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I voted 'No', not exactly b/c it would destroy the economy but b/c they should have limited it long ago, and not only for water.

I live in Acworth, and I believe our Mayor has used his seat (he has no vote but influence) to profit from his several businesses and/or businesses he has investments in. Bringing in more tax money helps him 'provide/give' things which makes him look good and allows him to continue in his other ventures.

This drought is temporary, we were 20 feet over normal pool just a few years ago, the corp let out too much water last year b/c of a gauge/meter, we needed these 'other' resevoirs 13 years ago.

...Although you could say that if we didn't have all these illegal immigrants working construction, living here, reproducing, using water, allowing those w/o jobs some construction jobs....the development might not need to be severly limited......
Haha right wingers always find a way to blame gays or mexicans.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Residential construction for the most part is at a stand still. Its pretty easy to pull the plug at any given time. However, commercial is a different beast. Projects that are going on right now are projects that were "started" two and three years ago. Money was approperated, bids were taken, permits recieved, and then construction started. Not so easy to "pull the plug".
Should there have been better management of "growth"- well yeah! But politicians are greedy and thats not changing anytime soon.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Haha right wingers always find a way to blame gays or mexicans.
I never said Mexicans nor Gays......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: