Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,381 times

Advertisements

Hello:

My job is relocating me to ATL and I would like some information from folks already living in ATL in regards to commute traffic.

Address of place where I would like to live:
9401 Roberts Drive, Sandy Springs, GA 30350
Address of place of work.
600 Galleria Pkwy Atlanta, GA 30339

I would say that I need to be in the office between 8 to 9 am and probably leave between 5:50 and 6:30 pm. Which will be rush hour traffic. As per google maps, is not to far but how many times google has been wrong?? Anyhow, I would love for you guys to tell me how long it might take me. I've heard horrible stories about ATL traffic, but sometimes people exaggerate.

Thank you in advance for your answers and see you soon
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,631,309 times
35-45mins. You will have a reverse commute once you get on 285 in the morning. The only traffic will be on Ga 400. You might can avoid 400 by taking Roswell Rd

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 08-28-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 23,354 times
I live only a mile far from your office address which is actually cobb parkway.You should choose to leave your office after 6:30 otherwise no exaggeration you will face heavy traffic on I-285 .Many folks in my husband's office (which is same zip code 30339) travel to sandy spring and dunwoody area and everyone is following this pattern ,they leave office around 7 pm.
There has been a lot of road construction since last year so sometimes even weekends ,we were stuck on interstate but that's not going to be a pattern otherwise certainly bad traffic during office hours but other than that nothing to worry about the traffic in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM

730 posts, read 828,227 times
welcome!! I know many people from south florida here. You should fit right in.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
I think it's a reasonable and tolerable commute, but 15-30 minutes difference going either direction could make a huge impact on the comfort level to you. You'll just have to experiment and see (if the job allows).

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
The worst part of that commute will be GA 400 Southbound between Northridge Road and I-285.

After merging onto I-285 Westbound you really should not have too many problems unless there is some kind of freak accident because as other posters have mentioned, the worst of the traffic will be heading the other direction on I-285 Eastbound towards GA 400 and the Perimeter Center/Dunwoody area.

Like Newsboy recommended, you can experiment with trying to avoid the worst part of your morning rush hour trip on GA 400 by not entering GA 400 Southbound at Northridge Road and instead crossing over to the eastside of GA 400 on Northridge Road and turning right on Roberts Road;

...After turning right on Roberts Road, go down to the stoplight at Spalding Drive and turn right on Spalding Drive;

...Stay on Spalding Drive, which will turn into Dalrymple Road after crossing over GA 400;

...Go through the stoplight at GA 9 Roswell Road and stay on Dalrymple Road which will become Riverside Drive;

...Stay on Riverside Drive and you will eventually come to the junction with I-285;

...Turn onto I-285 Westbound and take I-285 Westbound over to the Cumberland/Galleria area.

If you cannot get onto I-285 Westbound for any reason (freak rush hour accident on I-285 WB, huge traffic jams, increment weather, etc), turn-off onto Heards Ferry Road westbound before getting to the I-285 interchange with Riverside Drive and stay on Heards Ferry Road which will become Northside Drive southbound;

...Take Heards Ferry Road WB/Northside Drive SB to the stoplight at Interstate North Parkway;

...Turn right at the stoplight onto Interstate North Parkway westbound;

...Take Interstate North Parkway westbound over the Chattahoochee River into Cobb County and go to the stoplight at Powers Ferry Road;

...Turn left at the stoplight onto Powers Ferry Road southbound, go under I-285 and make an immediate right at the stoplight onto Akers Mill Road westbound;

...Stay on Akers Mill Road westbound and go to the end of the road at the stoplight at Cumberland Boulevard;

...Turn left at the stoplight onto Cumberland Boulevard and go to the first stoplight at Akers Mill Road;

...Turn right at the stoplight onto Akers Mill Road westbound, go over I-75 and go to the first stoplight at Professional Parkway/Cobb Galleria Parkway;

...Turn right at the stoplight onto Professional Parkway and go to the traffic circle;

...Turn right and go into the traffic circle;

...Take the 3rd right out of the traffic circle and go to the first circle in front of the high-rise and you should be at 600 Galleria Parkway.

You can also try experimenting with using Spalding Drive to Glenridge Drive down to I-285 westbound.

In any case, get a good old-fashioned street atlas that covers the Sandy Springs/Top End Perimeter and Cumberland/Galleria areas of near-North Metro Atlanta and get familiar with the various surface routes that you can use to avoid the GA 400 portion of your rush hour commute which frequently backs-up and even often comes to a complete stop at times during morning and evening rush hours.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Thank you everyone for the great info, I really appreciated it It sounds like it would be better if I live in the same town as my job (Vinings) I heard is pretty nice. I don't want to spend a lot of hours commuting, since am new in town and don't know my way around yet I'm looking forward to move to ATL, but I would be lying if I say that I don't have my doubts and worries. I hope I like Atlanta and that people are nicer and friendly than SoFL. Thank you everyone once again for taking the time to reply with great information.

Cheers!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 AM

145 posts, read 361,599 times
I highly recommend you live closer to Vinings, either in Vinings or Smyrna or NW Atlanta. The commute from Roberts Drive is a PITA.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideATLCindy View Post
I highly recommend you live closer to Vinings, either in Vinings or Smyrna or NW Atlanta. The commute from Roberts Drive is a PITA.
I was inclined to say the same thing. There's no easy east-west access between the two points.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,773 times
Lol I will be moving back to Atlanta from SoFL on 09/01 but will be in Douglasville since my job is in Austell.

To the OP the people are much nicer in Atlanta than the people in Sofl. No more being ignored because you don't speak Spanish and no more sowbirds and Canadians. Welcome back to America my friend and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta