Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Well, we'll start with just going to the vet. How about taking a long-term business trip or even just vacation? Or even just exercising it in a park? You make it sound like I'm advocating for a giant animal to run around loose up and down the train! All I'm saying is for MARTA to remain in-line with other transit systems which allow small caged animals. Again, why are we trying to force people to think of transit as ONLY the thing that gets them to work and back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
MARTA plans crackdown on 'nuisance' riders (AJC)

Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well, we'll start with just going to the vet. How about taking a long-term business trip or even just vacation? Or even just exercising it in a park? You make it sound like I'm advocating for a giant animal to run around loose up and down the train! All I'm saying is for MARTA to remain in-line with other transit systems which allow small caged animals. Again, why are we trying to force people to think of transit as ONLY the thing that gets them to work and back?
You don't get it, and it doesn't seem like anything you read here is going to change your mind. If you don't get the obvious smell, noise, safety, and courtesy points, then have you considered the fact is that some people are just afraid of animals, whether for rational or irrational reasons, and that includes adults as well as children?

Absent a compelling reason to bring a non-service animal on MARTA, it just makes sense. Most other transit systems also have similar bans. You could make similar far fetched arguments for people eating or drinking on MARTA, something that has been banned since the system first opened in the late 1970s. I used the have to listen to those recordings play over and over telling me that food and drink is not allowed. Well...using your logic....what if someone is late for work and just has to eat their dinner on MARTA? Too bad.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Eating and drinking is allowed in stations. I don't mind eating on trains, just pick up after yourself.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Eating and drinking is allowed in stations. I don't mind eating on trains, just pick up after yourself.
It never used to be, but on the train, you may not mind, but I might. You may be OK with me and my Indian food riding to Five Points. Others may not. These kinds of things are made to fit the least common denominator of common courtesy.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
One thing they should've added but didn't is no loud talking and cursing on MARTA.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You don't get it, and it doesn't seem like anything you read here is going to change your mind.
No, I get it. I get that some people just can't help but to butt into things they should keep their nose out of.
Quote:
If you don't get the obvious smell, noise, safety, and courtesy points, then have you considered the fact is that some people are just afraid of animals, whether for rational or irrational reasons, and that includes adults as well as children?
Then they shouldn't go out in public at all. If they're truly that afraid, that a caged animal is just soooo terrifying for them, how are they going to react when they turn a corner and someone's walking their dog right there? That's not in a cage. Even so, most pets smell better than their owners, and being secured in a cage, on the owner's lap has no safety or courtesy implications.
Quote:
Absent a compelling reason to bring a non-service animal on MARTA, it just makes sense. Most other transit systems also have similar bans. You could make similar far fetched arguments for people eating or drinking on MARTA, something that has been banned since the system first opened in the late 1970s. I used the have to listen to those recordings play over and over telling me that food and drink is not allowed. Well...using your logic....what if someone is late for work and just has to eat their dinner on MARTA? Too bad.
Actually, most other transit systems do not have similar outright bans, ALL of the half-dozen I have surveyed in the past five minutes since typing this post allow small pets in enclosed containers, including the notoriously strict WMATA. Why should Atlanta break the mold in a way that does nothing but hinder service?

Old 09-07-2013, 02:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
It never used to be, but on the train, you may not mind, but I might. You may be OK with me and my Indian food riding to Five Points. Others may not. These kinds of things are made to fit the least common denominator of common courtesy.
I have to agree with neil on this -- no eating on the trains. It's just not the place.

As to dogs, about the only ones I'd be comfortable with on a regular basis would be my two. They are good sized but extremely courteous. They may look at you and grin but they won't get in your space.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Well it passed, and it's actually sane! In addition to allowing small animals in rigid carriers, they also don't require strollers to be folded up, merely securely held out of the way. Either it got to the board and common sense prevailed, or the media failed us again. I'm betting the latter. MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority PDF of the actual rules at the bottom of the page.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
You need rules because in society, there are always "trolls" that screw it up for the rest of the properly behaving people.

Small pets? Okay, but there will always be jerks that let there pets pee and poop and bark etc without a care.
Food? Always a few idiots bringing in stinky food (imagine stinky tofu LOL) or dumping everything on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta