Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 PM

16 posts, read 26,743 times

Advertisements

i'm a US citizen but i have grown up in england, i am going to university here soon, and i will probably study business administration, but i might do something else, i don't know, but i am only doing a degree as a back up plan if i fail as a realtor, is that good?

i was thinking about becoming and working as a realtor in the Atlanta area, is that wise?

but i heard the economy in and around atlanta is really bad, so yeh, i would love to work in and around atlanta, but will it be hard to make a living?

please give as much info as possible

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy5 View Post
i'm a US citizen but i have grown up in england, i am going to university here soon, and i will probably study business administration, but i might do something else, i don't know, but i am only doing a degree as a back up plan if i fail as a realtor, is that good?
Yes, that is most-certainly good to have a degree as a back-up plan in case you do not make it as a realtor.

With so many ups-and-DOWNS in real estate, particularly over the last few years during the economic downturn, it is definitely wise not to put all of one's eggs in one basket and it is definitely good to attempt to have something else to fall back on.

With that said, not only is Business Administration good line of study if you are intent to get into real estate, but also FINANCE and REAL ESTATE LAW might be even better so that you might set yourself up to master the real estate field at a much higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy5 View Post
i was thinking about becoming and working as a realtor in the Atlanta area, is that wise?

but i heard the economy in and around atlanta is really bad, so yeh, i would love to work in and around atlanta, but will it be hard to make a living?
One can make and even have success as a realtor in the Atlanta market, but one really has to hustle and network and make contacts with investors and big cash buyers.

As a realtor in Atlanta or in any market, one also should learn to work the real estate field from the mindset of an investor who makes his money work for him or her only the long-run and not just as someone who sells houses.

In addition to Atlanta, the Washington D.C. market might be a good market to inquire into with the presence of the Federal Government there (which has caused employment to be abnormally low in the D.C. area compared with the rest of the country during the economic downturn) and with so many major corporate outfits who desire to be close to the levers of power within the federal government.

Though Atlanta has a substantially-lower cost-of-living relative to Washington D.C.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I also suggest obtaining your degree first.

Selling real estate in a market that you don't know geographically would be very difficult. Each neighborhood has it's own nuances, their own appeal and pricing structure.

You would own your own business as real estate sales are typically commission only. You will need to have money to start up your business and to sustain yourself until your first sale. You will need to also develop a network of possible clients and I read that you are not from the area and are networked it so it might be a slower start than for others just starting out that have an established community of contacts.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
I would both get my degree and begin my real estate career in the city and/or state where I have the most personal connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta