Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 29,788 times

Advertisements

I recently resigned from the Navy after 6 years as a submariner and am looking at my post-Navy job opportunities. I just got an offer for a company in Atlanta and I'm not very familiar with the city so, while I'm fairly enthusiastic about the job I'm not as sure about the location and was hoping to get a sense of the city and the neighborhood options. I've only been to Atlanta once, for the job interview, and it's been a while since I've lived in a city (school in DC, but since then I've been in smaller towns up and down the East Coast for the Navy). We're planning on renting for the first year while we get comfortable with the area before making the plunge on buying our first house.

1. Budget: Could do up to $3k/month, would like to keep it under $2k unless we're really getting a lot of benefit
2. House/Condo/Townhome? For the initial renting, apartment or preferably townhome.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): I'd be working in SW Atlanta, near the intersection of Routes 6 and 70. I'd like to keep my commute under about 30 minutes (would consider up to 45 minutes for the right place, though)
4. Children(public school vs. private): None yet; that will be a concern when we buy a house but not a big issue now
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: We're coming from Charlottesville, VA, which is sort of a smallish town but with a lot going on for it's size. We're both past the point where we want to be in the center of things, but we are even more opposed to the stereotypical cookie-cutter homes and strip malls of suburbia. If there's some kind of place where there is some character, in terms of shops, restaurants, that sort of stuff, but without being really high-density urban, that'd be ideal.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Nice to have but not critical; I know I'll be driving to work
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: Reasonably safe, would like an area where there are a fair number of well-educated, cultural-minded people around (we don't know anybody so we'll certainly be looking to make new friends).

Bonus features: my fiancee is an artist/designer, and we'd love to be near somewhere with some sort of arts scene. Don't have to live next door, but it would be nice to have it not too far away. Not a dealbreaker, but a nice to have.

I guess my big question is, is there anywhere in Atlanta that would tick most of those boxes? Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,537 times
Smyrna/Vining area. Hop on 285 to get to work

Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Check out the neighborhoods East of Atlanta (Cabbagetown, Inman Park, Candler Park, Old 4th Ward, East Atlanta, Ormewood, Grant Park, Kirkwood to start).

They are the original 1920s-30s "suburbs" that are now "in-town" with lots of non-chain shops, restaurants, and bars. Also lots of artsy stuff around too.

Decatur is good as well, but a little bit further commute-wise. Also consider Castleberry Hill that will be closer into downtown and a little closer commute wise. Or Midtown is great if you decide to go a step more urban.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
You should be able to find a very nice place for 2,000 or less.

Smyrna/Vinings is definitely one option that will work but given that she is an artist, I immediately thought about more intown living.

I will let others give more specific advise as to those neighborhoods.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

139 posts, read 231,576 times
I'm awfully biased, but seriously think you've described my 'hood, Grant Park. We've got a nice, quiet existence, but we also have quick, easy access to most of the city. Definitely check out the 'hoods jsvh listed - I think you'll find what you looking for.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the replies! Lots to research, but this is a great starting point

Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Smyrna/Vining area. Hop on 285 to get to work
Good suggestion for the mix of urban/suburban with stuff to do still. Also looks like a reasonable commute to where the OP is working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Check out the neighborhoods East of Atlanta (Cabbagetown, Inman Park, Candler Park, Old 4th Ward, East Atlanta, Ormewood, Grant Park, Kirkwood to start).

They are the original 1920s-30s "suburbs" that are now "in-town" with lots of non-chain shops, restaurants, and bars. Also lots of artsy stuff around too.

Decatur is good as well, but a little bit further commute-wise. Also consider Castleberry Hill that will be closer into downtown and a little closer commute wise. Or Midtown is great if you decide to go a step more urban.
Decatur wouldn't be a very good commute at all. Some of those other areas you mentioned aren't considered the safest places by everyone. Certainly mixed.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Unfortunately you will be far away from many of the areas with much character (unless syndrome here knows something that I don't). Most of the cool stuff is east of the downtown connector. The best you can try for is probably a 30 minute commute from west midtown

Old 09-12-2013, 05:27 PM

30 minutes is doable, that's what I've been doing the past year or so anyways and it doesn't bother me (good time for podcasts and such). It looks like I'll be doing mostly a reverse commute if I'm in the midtown/neighborhoods east of midtown area, is Atlanta the pretty typical commute pattern?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsing View Post
30 minutes is doable, that's what I've been doing the past year or so anyways and it doesn't bother me (good time for podcasts and such). It looks like I'll be doing mostly a reverse commute if I'm in the midtown/neighborhoods east of midtown area, is Atlanta the pretty typical commute pattern?
You can never know for a particular route till you drive it during rush hour, but you should be right. I go from Ormewood Park to near the airport and rarely have any traffic, but the other side of the highway is often bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta