Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

So do people like living here or is it better to be in city limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
it depends on where you work. ideally, many would prefer living in town due to having the ability to walk to local stores and restaurants, be closer to the 'activity' and have the convenience of using the subway system, but due to traffic, it simply isn't practical for many people to live in town and commute way out to the suburbs.

i'm sure there are a lot of people that live in the suburbs that love it there. but i've met many people from the suburbs who say "i wish i could move in town, but my job..."— i've never met a person who lived intown who wanted to live in the suburbs.

there is also concern about schools— while the city of atlanta schools is catching up, it's been notorious in the past for being inferior to suburban school systems like cobb and gwinnett. crime is less of a concern than many people make it out to be, unless you live in a really rough neighbourhood.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:34 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
I have to disagree with bryants use of the sentence "many people wish they could live intown but..." I can tell you that there are differences to both but no matter where my husband worked, I wouldn't want to live intown. I'm not the walkable girl and hate it if I who find parking easily. I would also say that MOST of my 750 neighbors if my subdivision don't want to live intown either. We chose to live here and could have lived either. It's one of those, to each, his own.

The fact that where I live is unincorporated only lowers my taxes vs the incorporated areas. If you are choosing where to live, you need to figure out what type of person YOU are and that YOUR family would enjoy. I can walk all over my neighborhood and get some great exercise if I want to walk. If I want to eat or shop, then yes, I need to get in my car and drive a mile or two.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
The fact that where I live is unincorporated only lowers my taxes vs the incorporated areas. If you are choosing where to live, you need to figure out what type of person YOU are and that YOUR family would enjoy. I can walk all over my neighborhood and get some great exercise if I want to walk. If I want to eat or shop, then yes, I need to get in my car and drive a mile or two.
You are right on target, livinginbuffalo. Frankly, most people who live in the city limits of Atlanta do their walking for recreational purposes. They also get in the car and drive a mile or two if they want to eat or shop. Yes, there are a few places where you can accomplish that on foot but it's sort of a hassle.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Your question is highly subjective and a little skewed. Of course some people, like myself, like living in the suburbs. Of course some people think it's better to live within the city the city limits. Do you like Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy?

The question is what do you want? What is important for you? Where do you work? Do you have children? Do you want to rent or own? Do you drive or do need to be close to public transit? Do you enjoy a more urban or more suburban lifestyle?

You will find people on this board and in general who can make a case for either lifestyle and there are great places to live both in town and in the suburbs.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Quote:
i've never met a person who lived intown who wanted to live in the suburbs.
This is because the barriers to entry in the suburbs are fairly low. Therefore, people who live in the city who want to live in the suburbs typically don't sit around belly aching about it too long, they just do it.

The suburbs aren't full of people who were born and raised there. Most of it is people who started off in the city.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Your question is highly subjective and a little skewed. Of course some people, like myself, like living in the suburbs. Of course some people think it's better to live within the city the city limits. Do you like Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy?

The question is what do you want? What is important for you? Where do you work? Do you have children? Do you want to rent or own? Do you drive or do need to be close to public transit? Do you enjoy a more urban or more suburban lifestyle?

You will find people on this board and in general who can make a case for either lifestyle and there are great places to live both in town and in the suburbs.
Yeah,you're right i was rushing writing this.I also don't just mean areas around Atlanta but surrounding Decatur,East Cobb,and in Clayton County.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
We live in unincorporated Cobb County, and it's just about the same as living inside an incorporated city in Cobb County. The county provides the schools, fire, police, water, etc.

I'm right outside the City of Smyrna boundary, and the main differences are smallish things: Smyrna provides trash/recycling service to residents, while I have to obtain my own (and there are a half-dozen choices in my area), road repairs here are done by Cobb instead of Smyrna, etc.

I like the fact that my property taxes are slightly lower. Otherwise, it's a wash for the most part.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The suburbs aren't full of people who were born and raised there. Most of it is people who started off in the city.
That may have been true 30-40 years ago, but I would think the 'burbs today are majority transplants from other parts of the country or 2nd generation (suburban kids from the 70s & 80s now raising families there).

Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That may have been true 30-40 years ago, but I would think the 'burbs today are majority transplants from other parts of the country or 2nd generation (suburban kids from the 70s & 80s now raising families there).
As a Gen Y'er, I can tell you that many, many of the people I know who were raised on Cul de sacs out in the suburbs, have bought their first homes in similar areas with eyes towards starting families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta