Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 33,870 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving to Atlanta from NY city, I am in the Commercial flooring industry. upon several of my last visits I noticed they are are doing a great deal of construction there. I am wondering if I should look to purchase a house with a yard or look at a condo. I m not much of a yard work guy, plus grass allergies dont help. But curious, can I get a good deal on a condo?
I have to secure employment as well, any one know of any commercial flooring companys looking for a good man to take charge and make it happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM

87 posts, read 454,845 times
Why are you leaving New York City? I am thinking about moving there.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,472 times
Atlanta is good for single people or married couples without children. The public schools in the city are pathetic, even some in Buckhead(our most affluent section), and for this reason most people choose to raise their kids in the suburbs. Please dont expect Atlanta to be as big or as fast paced as NYC is. I have alot of friends from New York who complain about how every part of Atlanta seems to be a suburb with no real central city. If you want to live an urban lifestyle in a condo and be around other young people I would suggest a move to Buckhead. You can get a one bedroom condo off Peachtree Road in the 200s. If you are moving down here for a slower paced lifestyle then I would suggest a move to a close in suburb if you are indeed single. This would include areas like Decatur and Smyrna. Most people I know that want lots of space and dont want yard work choose to reside in townhomes. This would give you the best of both worlds. Some townhomes are being built in South Buckhead(the city) right now on 26th St. with prices starting in the 200s. This is unheard of since EVERY other townhome community in Buckhead starts between $700 and $800,000. You'll find townhome prices in the 200s to 300s range in Smyrna and Decatur as well.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:36 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Default Atlanta has lots of potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwami Kwasi Pecou View Post
I am seriously considering moving to Atlanta from NY city, I am in the Commercial flooring industry. upon several of my last visits I noticed they are are doing a great deal of construction there. I am wondering if I should look to purchase a house with a yard or look at a condo. I m not much of a yard work guy, plus grass allergies dont help. But curious, can I get a good deal on a condo?
I have to secure employment as well, any one know of any commercial flooring companys looking for a good man to take charge and make it happen?
Coming from NYC, you will be a bit disappointed because the city here is much slower. However, there is so much growth going on, I think in a few years it will be a great city to live in. If you come, try to move into the city. I think property values will be going up & up....plus, it's just easier to be in the city. Traffic is one big mess outside of the city limits. And pretty much anything worthwhile doing is in the city. Unless you have kids, there's no real reason to move into the suburbs.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 7,620 times
Commercial flooring is a good industry to be in here. I know a DaTile Rep who does quite well here. Construction costs are pretty level here and builders have not stopped in construction. I wouldn't touch a condo personally. High rises, condo conversions and duplex like living is pretty popular right now, but I would recommend a single family or townhome. I think they are more affordable and will hold more value over time. What I really do not like about condos are the HOA fees. They are monthly and are high. The whole Buckhead 700-800k thing is so not true. I sold a condo that resembled Melrose place, 1400 sq ft, granite counter tops, stainless steel, hardwood floors, 2/2 near Roswell Rd for 278k. Intown there is a huge revitalization taking place. Craftsmen style homes are painting the landscape. Take a gander into The Vinings, Highlands, Grant Park, Kirkwood and surrounding areas.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
You mentioned "grass allergies" - does this include pollen allergies in general? If you have pollen allergies (including grass), and they're severe, you will want to discuss this with your doctor BEFORE moving down here.

I kid you not, I've seen people move from other areas of the country here who have almost died during pollen season, when they were not prepared for it. My sister came to visit during the spring once and had to make a quick trip to a clinic as she was so swollen she could barely breath. A new coworker who moved here from Texas looked and felt like absolute hell during a two month period this past spring as well.

You may need to look into getting a pre-prescription for some allergy meds if this is an issue for you there. If it's a problem there, multiply it by five, here.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:31 AM

148 posts, read 951,547 times
Default Pollen

I totally agree with AtlantaGreg in regard to allergy issues.

I don't think the subject of pollen and allergies has come up yet. At least I don't remember it. Maybe I sneezed a couple of times--more like 400 times and the thread quickly disappeared.

Atlanta is probably the allergy capital of the United States. Atlanta does have a lot of positives, but allergies is problematic for many Atlantans.

I, myself, have problems breathing here. On the other hand, I have problems breathing in Phoenix and Tucson, too. Today, it's really difficult to escape allergies and breathing problems regardless of where you live--NYC, Atlanta, Phoenix, Vegas, or Sedona.

Generations ago, people with breathing allergies moved to Phoenix and their plugged nostrils became unplugged in a short period of time. Unfortunately many of the new Arizona residents, those with unplugged nostrils, started planting trees and vegetation that they loved seeing back home in the East, South, and Midwest. Not good! Not good at all! Not good for the people with breathing allergies. If you move to Arizona today, you'll most likely NOT notice a huge, huge improvement in your breathing. Don't plan on it.

People with allergies, considering a move to Atlanta, should plan on some additional problems. Maybe not everyone, but quite a few. Clear nostrils and living in Atlanta don't necessarily go together, just like living in Atlanta and a 25 minute commute to work don't necessarily go together.

Expensive condos--800k condos, are not the norm here. Presently, the condo market is quite saturated. Just last week 58 fairly- upscale, Buckhead condos were placed on the auction block. WXIA-TV had a segment about the auction.

I know a person who's had his condo on the market for a good 10 months. Most Atlanta condo sellers are offering free HOA for six months, a year, and sometimes two years. If you're looking for a condo, there's some good deals.

Don't plan on buying a condo and renting it out. Today, some condos are not allowing leasing at all--not for a year, not for six months, not for a day. This is a move many condo boards have taken to avoid speculators.

I'd stay away from condos, too. If you're going to live there for ten years it's probably okay, but short-term--no. You're probably not going to make much money if you sell four years, five years, or even six years down the road. Of course, there's no guarantee on homes, either.

Real estate is risky any way you slice it--homes, and condos. Expect many more foreclosures, and lower prices for quite some time.

Z

Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 55,665 times
Hello,I'am a childcare provider with two kids of my own,and I'am thinking of moving to Atlanta Georgia just for a change,and to give my boys a better way of life,but I still want to keep my childcare business,would Atlanta be a wise move?

Old 11-29-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 55,665 times
Default Would a move be wise?

[quote=poohcininy;6351550]Hello,I'am a childcare provider with two kids of my own,and I'am thinking of moving to Atlanta Georgia just for a change,and to give my boys a better way of life,but I still want to keep my childcare business,would Atlanta be a wise move? I just want to know if my childcare business would thrive there more than it dose here in new york.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:13 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Coming from NYC, you will be a bit disappointed because the city here is much slower. However, there is so much growth going on, I think in a few years it will be a great city to live in. If you come, try to move into the city. I think property values will be going up & up....plus, it's just easier to be in the city. Traffic is one big mess outside of the city limits. And pretty much anything worthwhile doing is in the city. Unless you have kids, there's no real reason to move into the suburbs.
So much growth going on in Atlanta despite the horrible economy ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta