Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,764 times

Advertisements

I am a young college grad that will be moving to Atlanta and working in Alpharetta, right off exit 10 on the GA400. My question is would it be feasible to live off exit 5 in Dunwoody and go to work on exit 10 in Alpharetta? After talking to people in the area, i was told that it would get boring living in Alpharetta and it is far away from the city and things to do. They suggested living in the Dunwoody area because it is between the the city and alpharetta. I love the Dunwoody area and think it would be nice to live in. I am willing to commute 20 minutes or so in the morning and plus i have to be at work for 7. How is traffic at say 6-6:30? Will i end up regretting moving to the Dunwoody area? Where would you live if you were in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Pretty much a reverse commute -- very doable.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Yeah thats what everyones been telling me but ive also heard theres no such thing because people are living/working everywhere now. How often are there accidents on the 400? I just started this job and i would hate to be late because of a wreck one morning

Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
At that time of day it should be really easy. There is the occassional big jam up, but those usually get so much publicity that your boss will understand.

You can invest a couple of hundred into a GPS system that will help you navigate the back roads (or just map some routes in mapquest and keep them in the car) for the very rare instances that you will need them.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
You could be behind an accident anywhere so I wouldn't let this get in your way. Reverse commutes are fine on 400 and living in Dunwoody/Perimeter area will give you fast access to all.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 AM

Okay I am considering either the Gables Metro or AMLI at perimeter place if i decide to live in Dunwoody. Anyone have the "low down" on these places besides being nice and in a great location? Ive already looked on apartmentratings.com and i know some people can just be bitter.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:29 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,792 times
I drive from that same exit, but go into town, at 7am and northbound is always moving fine....you should have no problems. When going back home in the afternoons, though, it could be a bit rougher b/c of the backup cause by people trying to get onto 285 from 400. You can find backroads, though - for instance getting down onto Holcomb Br., then cutting Spalding over to Mt. Vernon or something. As for those particular apartments, I really don't know anything about them. There are pros and cons to every complex though, and most people who complain are expecting some sort of resort experience with immaculate rooms, which is simply just not reality.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:01 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,211,682 times
I currently live and work off Exit 9. However, my wife and I miss being close to the city so we are moving down to the Brookhaven/Dunwoody area (near Perimeter Mall). I'm going to miss my 1 mile commute but it just got too boring living in Alpharetta (great place for a family though).

Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,232 times
I kinda think it would be cool to live in Amli b/c you can actually walk somewhere. But is there a pool? I'd pick the one with the pool.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 29,517 times
If I were in your situation, I would choose to live in Alpharetta or somewhere between exits 7 and 10 off of GA 400. I moved here a couple of years ago and selected Dunwoody because of it's central location to almost everything. There is much building going on here in terms of new apartments and high rise condos. I currently live across from Perimeter Mall at Savannah at Park Place Apartments which is fine and well kept. Attempting to navigate Ashford Dunwoody Rd between 4:30 and 7:00 PM is a nightmare. I have very serious concerns about emergency vehicles being able to get through. The traffic problems in the Dunwoody/Perimeter area will be growing exponentially as the new apartments and condos fill will tenants. Alpharetta and nearby areas are new and clean with many restaurants and shopping. You can always go in to Buckhead/Atlanta for nite life, ball games, etc. This is a very congested city and you are very wise to carefully look at your options. It's a nice city with lots of opportunity. I will be leaving it soon and I will miss the overall pleasantness and courtesy of the people and the drivers. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta