Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,381 times

Advertisements

I just noticed in the new CSA Athens is now combined into the CSA for Atlanta. So, it made me curious as to how strong the connection is between UGA to Atlanta in terms of......

What percentage of people have degrees from UGA?
How likely am I to see t-shirts supporting UGA?
Do sports bars in Atlanta have TV's on UGA sports?
Other paraphernalia such as license plates?

Any other criteria is appreciated, but this was all I could think of.

Last edited by travelgirl1983; 03-18-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl1983 View Post
I just noticed in the new Athens is now apart of the new CSA for Atlanta. So, I it made me curious as to how strong the connection is between UGA to Atlanta in terms of......

Likely a small percentage of the overall population has degrees from UGA, but far larger than the next largest alumni base in the area, and many many "sidewalk" fans that never attended.

How likely am I to see tshirts supporting UGA?
Very.

Yes.

The state issues UGA license tags if you pay a small fee (includes the bulldog logo). Flags, stickers, hats, etc are all over the place. If they make something with the logo on it, you can buy it in atlanta. Even duct tape.

It's the largest, most popular university in the state, with the largest alumni base. It's safe to say they are pretty well intertwined.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM

28 posts, read 38,165 times
I am curious to learn more about this topic. Anyone have any info?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl1983 View Post
I just noticed in the new CSA Athens is now combined into the CSA for Atlanta. So, it made me curious as to how strong the connection is between UGA to Atlanta in terms of......

Athens being considered part of the CSA has nothing to do with the popularity and presence of the state's flagship university. It has always been the most popular school as far as sports fan base, alumni, influence, etc, etc, even with Georgia Tech in the city proper.

If anything, Atlanta's huge growth has diminished the UGA luster if for this one reason only: There are so many transplants from other parts of the south and the rest of the country that there are huge alumni bases of most of the major universities in the South and large numbers from the rest of the country. The brand has been diluted from the sheer number of out of state transplants, if that makes sense.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
The vast majority of UGA fans here are people who don't have degrees from the school or ever went there.

I wouldn't assume the amount of UGA graduates here dramatically outnumber the Tech or Auburn graduates(Auburn actually had more Georgia specialty license plates than Tech a couple years ago and was second only behind UGA).

Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ GUY View Post
I am curious to learn more about this topic. Anyone have any info?
ROTFL!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 PM

28 posts, read 38,165 times
^ huh?

Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Athens being considered part of the CSA has nothing to do with the popularity and presence of the state's flagship university. It has always been the most popular school as far as sports fan base, alumni, influence, etc, etc, even with Georgia Tech in the city proper.

If anything, Atlanta's huge growth has diminished the UGA luster if for this one reason only: There are so many transplants from other parts of the south and the rest of the country that there are huge alumni bases of most of the major universities in the South and large numbers from the rest of the country. The brand has been diluted from the sheer number of out of state transplants, if that makes sense.
UGA's membership in the most-powerful conference in college football in the SEC (Southeastern Conference) and UGA's close location to Atlanta in nearby Athens also plays a very-major role (but not the only very-major role) in why Atlanta hosts the SEC Championship Game in football (as well as why Atlanta often hosts the SEC Men's and Women's Basketball tournaments) and has a reputation of being a town for big-time college football and college athletic events.

But, as Saintmarks stated, Athens being added to the Atlanta CSA has nothing (directly) to do with the popularity and presence of UGA.

Athens has been added to the Atlanta CSA because of increasingly-strong commuting patterns between the Athens MSA and the Atlanta CSA.

...Increasingly-strong commuting patterns that include a high enough amount of residents commuting between the Athens MSA and the Atlanta CSA for work (and even school) that Athens qualified to become part of the Atlanta CSA.

...Something should not necessarily be all that shocking given that of many residents of suburban and exurban Oconee County (just outside of Athens) commute to both Atlanta and Athens for work (and school, etc...something that has turned Oconee County into an exurb of the Atlanta metro region), and given that UGA has many students that commute to class at UGA in Athens from parts of the Atlanta region (particularly eastern Atlanta MSA and CSA like Gwinnett, Walton, Rockdale, Newton, Hall, Barrow, etc).

Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ GUY View Post
^ huh?
Surely you were kidding?!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
The vast majority of UGA fans here are people who don't have degrees from the school or ever went there.

I wouldn't assume the amount of UGA graduates here dramatically outnumber the Tech or Auburn graduates(Auburn actually had more Georgia specialty license plates than Tech a couple years ago and was second only behind UGA).
UGA graduates several times more people annually than Tech, and more of them remain in the area. It's a pretty safe assumption.

We all realize this was originally posted in March, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: