Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times

Advertisements

"Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is offering to kick in private funds to attract someone to lead Atlanta Public Schools, but some, including Georgia Sen. Vincent Fort, say that's too much..."

Full Story: Mayor Reed suggests $600K paycheck for Atlanta schools' head - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
I think Reed has lost his mind.

While a high salary helps, with Atlanta (DeKalb and Clayton, too) needs is a superintendent who can fix the staffing issues that are so endemic to Urban systems' central offices. You need a proven leader who can hire well, recruit better and retain the best. You need to have a vision that is outside of the box so that solutions that are proven, say in a charter school, can be implemented in traditional schools.

While the research is pretty clear about how important the teacher is in student outcomes, I would argue that the Principal is the most important because he/she does the hiring. Principals are generally hired by the central office people, so you see the connection.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM

41 posts, read 80,507 times
Also, the principal supports his or her staff ... or doesn't. And creatively rearranges subpar, preexisting staff when unable to fire them, which unfortunately is a reality. The principal makes or breaks a school.

The mindset that the highest quality/highest pay should be centralized makes me crazy. APS teachers have not gotten a salary increase in 6 years, while they're asked to do more and take on additional students each year. I cannot holler it loudly enough: the good teachers have bailed or are about to.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
I think the new superintendent will just be a very well-paid position for someone who'll go through the usual motions of running a school system. Any real reform would be met by internal and public backlashes. It might take a Michelle Rhee in DC but would face the same fate as she.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
But, honestly -- who would TAKE the job for less than that? It's a thankless job which will require some serious cajones to bring APS schools out of the mud that all of these test scandals have left them smeared with.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM

139 posts, read 231,701 times
I don't know if it's arrogance or what, but Reed's become more and more callous (maybe because there is no legitimate challenger this year?). He could have easily said, "I'm willing to help in anyway possible to bring the best superintendent we can to Atlanta. If we need more money, I'll find it. I'm here to help the ABOE - just let me know what I can do." No one would have a problem with that.

BTW, Beverly Hall received over $400k/year and is perhaps the worst thing to ever happen to APS - money alone is certainly not the answer.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe you can find the root of APS' problems in Gene Taylor's remarks. There are huge problems inside of our awfully expensive central office that must be addressed. The next super will have to tackle that or we'll continue down the wrong path.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
With a $1.2 MILLION BUYOUT don't you know!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
""We are going to recruit a superintendent like we would recruit the head of football at the University of Georgia."

So . . .hire someone from a very successful but very corrupt organization, throw big money at them, recruit the most talented teachers in the country and somehow find a way to make them worse, over promise and under deliver on measurables and results, and have half the population calling for your termination by the mid-point of every academic year.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:47 AM

41 posts, read 80,507 times
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe you can find the root of APS' problems in Gene Taylor's remarks. There are huge problems inside of our awfully expensive central office that must be addressed. The next super will have to tackle that or we'll continue down the wrong path.

I agree, Seatlien. That and the problem of subpar standards. It will take someone with PATIENCE and confidence, someone whose ego is large but does not revolve around money--this is the ego that thrives on surmounting the insurmountable challenge. True educators ARE that way, and there is someone who will want this enormous job. I must also say it will require BOE members who have high standards and patience with their superintendent. These problems will not be fixed in one or even five years. The whole system must be undone.

I think the right person would be far more enticed to see Mayor Reed raising up funds to throw at the under-funded classroom TEACHERS than at central office. Mayor Reed is severely misguided.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:40 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
"[b]"We are going to recruit a superintendent like we would recruit the head of football at the University of Georgia."
Craziness, isn't it?

If APS was ranked in the nation's top 10 (or 20) programs every year that might make sense.

As it is....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: