Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,938,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
North Fayette has been taken over by clayton and south fulton citizens. Just today I read about the increase in burglaries in North Fayette. I have family and friends in fayetteville that tell me that people are now scared to go to the pavilion.

People didn't think clayco would turn into what it has turned into. I'm not saying that Fayette will be become the next clayton, but it is certainly within the realm of possibility.
HOW -- pray tell -- is it "within the realm of possibility?!

The average price of a home in Fayette County is over $250,000! In Clayton County, it is about $75,000!

The amount of rental property in Fayette County is about 8%! In Clayton County, it is about 40%!

People who say Fayette County is turning into Clayton County are grasping at straws and totally ignorant of the dynamics of WEALTH! It's not about the color of your skin, it's what your paycheck reads! And Fayette remains one of the wealthiest counties in the United States.

Plus, Fayette County Schools remain the No. 1 reason why people choose to live there -- among the top three school systems in the state based on test scores. Next door Clayton County is near the bottom. WHY? Demographics! The black families that have moved to Fayette County value education and safety just as much as the white families do ... and THAT is why Fayette County WILL NOT BECOME THE NEXT CLAYTON!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Not to mention that both counties were developed completely differently. Tract housing and apartments galore have made Clayton what it is today. Its almost all aging starter homes.

Fayette eschews multi-family units and has strict rules generally preventing tract styles homes outside of city limits.

Fayette County is literally engineered not to become Clayton County.

Also, I take exception to the idea that North Fayette has been taken over by ClayCo or South Fulton. Drive down 279 and tell me the homes off the road resemble anything in Clayton. Maybe Lake Spivey...

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

730 posts, read 828,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HOW -- pray tell -- is it "within the realm of possibility?!

The average price of a home in Fayette County is over $250,000! In Clayton County, it is about $75,000!

The amount of rental property in Fayette County is about 8%! In Clayton County, it is about 40%!

People who say Fayette County is turning into Clayton County are grasping at straws and totally ignorant of the dynamics of WEALTH! It's not about the color of your skin, it's what your paycheck reads! And Fayette remains one of the wealthiest counties in the United States.

Plus, Fayette County Schools remain the No. 1 reason why people choose to live there -- among the top three school systems in the state based on test scores. Next door Clayton County is near the bottom. WHY? Demographics! The black families that have moved to Fayette County value education and safety just as much as the white families do ... and THAT is why Fayette County WILL NOT BECOME THE NEXT CLAYTON!!!!
lol relax. I said it was within the realm of possibility, which it is. I never said that fayco is the new clayton county. I grew up in clayton county and believe me, none of us thought then (10-15 years ago) that clayco would get this bad.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 PM

730 posts, read 828,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Not to mention that both counties were developed completely differently. Tract housing and apartments galore have made Clayton what it is today. Its almost all aging starter homes.

Fayette eschews multi-family units and has strict rules generally preventing tract styles homes outside of city limits.

Fayette County is literally engineered not to become Clayton County.

Also, I take exception to the idea that North Fayette has been taken over by ClayCo or South Fulton. Drive down 279 and tell me the homes off the road resemble anything in Clayton. Maybe Lake Spivey...
well I was talking specifically in terms of crime, not the geographic landscape. Burglaries on sharp rise in north Fayette | The Citizen

maybe it was a bit of an overstatement, but crime certainly seems to be going up in north fayette

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
lol relax. I said it was within the realm of possibility, which it is. I never said that fayco is the new clayton county. I grew up in clayton county and believe me, none of us thought then (10-15 years ago) that clayco would get this bad.
HENRY COUNTY will become Clayton before Fayette does. Why? Because HENRY is making all the same mistakes Clayton did!

Look, I don't want to sound like a snob, but Clayton was ALWAYS trashy ... ALWAYS! White trash became black trash. Sad to say, but it's true!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HENRY COUNTY will become Clayton before Fayette does. Why? Because HENRY is making all the same mistakes Clayton did!
This is an interesting assessment that unfortunately has a very-strong ring of truth and accuracy to it.

That's because Henry County political and business leaders have increasingly and repeatedly stated over the past 15 years or so that their long-term intent is to become to the Southside what Gwinnett County has become to the Northside.

Henry County has even built-out its school system in anticipation of Gwinnett County/Northside-style growth of population and development in the future.

Henry County leaders want the explosive growth, overdevelopment, overcrowding and severely-heavy traffic that has afflicted the Northside because Henry County leaders consider that Northside-style growth and overdevelopment to be a sign of massive economic, political and social success.

...A point of view that (despite the obvious downside of increasing poverty and crime) is somewhat difficult to argue with in many respects when looking at the overwhelming political (and social) influence that heavily-populated Northside suburban counties like Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett enjoy over the state's political and social climate.

Henry County leaders have seemingly looked at the political, social and business successes of North Metro suburban counties and decided that the long-term upside of vastly-increased political, social and business influence is worth risking the long-term downside of vastly-increased poverty and crime.

Another key point that should be mentioned is that unlike all of the other aforementioned metro counties which have faced issues of increased poverty and crime as their populations increased, no Interstate superhighways run through Fayette County.

Interstate superhighways have unquestionably helped to expedite other metro counties' transition from suburban to urban in the past (particularly in Cobb, Gwinnett, Fulton and DeKalb counties) and in the present (in Henry County).

Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
well I was talking specifically in terms of crime, not the geographic landscape. Burglaries on sharp rise in north Fayette | The Citizen

maybe it was a bit of an overstatement, but crime certainly seems to be going up in north fayette
DID YOU READ THE STORY?!

Confirmed burglaries for the first six months of 2012 totaled 81 while the same period this year tallied 62 burglaries, a decrease of approximately 25 percent.

There are "certain" people who would enjoy seeing Fayette County go the way of Clayton and South Fulton ... but it IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

I am proud to call Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb a personal friend. Fayette County residents can sleep easy at night knowing that their law enforcement community is led by capable leadership, unlike Clayton County, which is led by a cartoon idiot.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-17-2013 at 02:32 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 AM

148 posts, read 232,528 times
I grew up in Fayetteville and my parents and grandparents are still there. My friends that I grew up with hear stories like this and think Fayetteville has already turned into Riverdale. But when I go visit, I'm delighted that it's still the same Fayetteville I remember. My parent's neighborhood has aged well and the local businesses are still doing well. I hope the lack of rental housing and good schools keep it thriving for several more generations. I am a little concerned that not enough young families are moving there. I hear a lot about PTC and Newnan, but not Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta