Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:26 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,435,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore101 View Post
Last I heard, the city was growing.
Well if its true but its slow growth.I heard it was holding now.Not growing or loosing population.Either way ,its a good thing and I do think its on its way back to better days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singapore101 View Post
I see how that was a little rude, which is why I edited my post.

But yeah, I never hear anybody say the city is "beautiful" besides the residents who want to boast their hometown. What gives Atlanta residents the right to start ****ting on other cities they know nothing about? Sorry, I like Atlanta btw, it's not only office parks like he says, but it's not like other urban cities either.
Nobody claimed it was urban.However Atlanta has many trees,hills and beautiful foliage.Its neighborhoods are among the best anywhere I have been all over the U.S.

Most people who come to visit go see the area around Centennial Olympic Park and maybe Buckhead but never venture by foot,bike or car to the other areas our adequate at best subway will get you.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,860,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Its obvious you have never been to Atlanta.One of the original 3 Flat Iron builings is in Atlanta.Its considered to be one of the key styles of architectural historic designs.There are several buildings downtown Atlanta that are on the national historic register.

If Detroit were really that beautiful,it would be growing.
Quote:
Well if its true but its slow growth.I heard it was holding now.Not growing or loosing population.Either way ,its a good thing and I do think its on its way back to better days.
It is growing a bit in Detroit. I have no doubt they will grow more in the future as long as the economy remains strong. There are a lot of exciting things going on in Detroit.

Honestly, if I didn't have kids, I would have moved to Detroit when I moved away from Atlanta. It is really a cool city and has great people, but their school system is pretty crap and I have kids so chose my hometown in NW OH which people here think has bad schools but really doesn't compared to other urban districts in Ohio and SE MI.

In regards to architecture though, I think maybe a lot of Atlanta's more historic architecture was lost in the Civil War. Detroit never had that to contend with. Detroit hasn't been burned down (except for the arsonists) since the War of 1812 lol.

And I do think Gargabe is spewing a bit too much garbage about Atlanta, but Rust Belt cities IMO do indeed retain a lot more of their historic charm than a lot of southern cities in particular, including Atlanta. They were not destroyed like Atlanta was and were formerly very wealthy cities that rich people built and the best architects of those eras designed. Some of them, unfortunately did demolish too many of their more historic architecture. My hometown of Toledo destroyed a lot of it's charm downtown for parking lots, same as what Atlanta did in trying to compete with suburban shopping districts back in the 1970s and 1980s. People really regret that now. Downtown Detroit didn't suffer with that so much, neither did Cleveland or Columbus, OH and other cities in the Rust Belt.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,372,108 times
I think people are referring to the unquestionable natural beauty of the urban forest of the North Georgia Piedmont. That said, there are many notable early twentieth century skyscrapers in the Fairlie-Poplar district (Grant Building, Citizen's and Southern Bank Building, Federal Court House, Rhodes/ Haverty Building and Flat Iron Building to name a few) and the Candler Building just north of Woodruff (Central City) Park. Yes, many parts of Downtown/Midtown Atlanta do have buildings of more recent vintage, but they may not be "architectural masterpieces", but even the much maligned Peachtree Center Complex was thought to be "cutting edge" at the time.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is growing a bit in Detroit. I have no doubt they will grow more in the future as long as the economy remains strong. There are a lot of exciting things going on in Detroit.

Honestly, if I didn't have kids, I would have moved to Detroit when I moved away from Atlanta. It is really a cool city and has great people, but their school system is pretty crap and I have kids so chose my hometown in NW OH which people here think has bad schools but really doesn't compared to other urban districts in Ohio and SE MI.

In regards to architecture though, I think maybe a lot of Atlanta's more historic architecture was lost in the Civil War. Detroit never had that to contend with. Detroit hasn't been burned down (except for the arsonists) since the War of 1812 lol.

And I do think Gargabe is spewing a bit too much garbage about Atlanta, but Rust Belt cities IMO do indeed retain a lot more of their historic charm than a lot of southern cities in particular, including Atlanta. They were not destroyed like Atlanta was and were formerly very wealthy cities that rich people built and the best architects of those eras designed. Some of them, unfortunately did demolish too many of their more historic architecture. My hometown of Toledo destroyed a lot of it's charm downtown for parking lots, same as what Atlanta did in trying to compete with suburban shopping districts back in the 1970s and 1980s. People really regret that now. Downtown Detroit didn't suffer with that so much, neither did Cleveland or Columbus, OH and other cities in the Rust Belt.
Rust belt cities are generally bigger as the industrial period caused the to boom in every way.Sunbelt cities have great architecture but itsb usually the older ones like Savannah and they tend to be much smaller.
There are several smaller cities that are just beautiful all across Georgia and the South.

I had considered Detroit as a place but quickly realized it was just too cold for me.I like underdogs.Pittsburgh and Cleveland were the laughing stock of cities back in the 90's,now look at them.

I still say not many cities have as beauatiful neighborhoods as Atlanta has .Combine the different architectural styles and topography of Atlanta,its just beautiful.
I often have friends ,Airbnb ,and Couchsurfers that come visit and it never fails that "pretty" is a constant remark
Especially from international travelers.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:07 PM

23,556 posts, read 44,242,696 times
Quote:
Rust belt cities are generally bigger as the industrial period caused the to boom in every way.Sunbelt cities have great architecture but itsb usually the older ones like Savannah and they tend to be much smaller.
There are several smaller cities that are just beautiful all across Georgia and the South.

I had considered Detroit as a place but quickly realized it was just too cold for me.I like underdogs.Pittsburgh and Cleveland were the laughing stock of cities back in the 90's,now look at them.

I still say not many cities have as beauatiful neighborhoods as Atlanta has .Combine the different architectural styles and topography of Atlanta,its just beautiful.
I often have friends ,Airbnb ,and Couchsurfers that come visit and it never fails that "pretty" is a constant remark
Especially from international travelers.
www.pinterest.com/shawnx37/the-ruins-of-detroit/
I like underdogs, too.
Detroit is certainly on its' way back (it had no way to go but up); only two skyscrapers downtown have yet to be rehabbed (one being the Loew's Building, one of my favorites), and districts such as Greektown are pretty lively these days. Let's not forget that Houston and Seattle had their hard times, and look at them now.

Last edited by Iconographer; 10-11-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 04:20 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,393,623 times
Quote:
If Detroit were really that beautiful,it would be growing.
I don't think it's beauty that drives growth. It's not beauty that drives Atlanta's growth.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I don't think it's beauty that drives growth. It's not beauty that drives Atlanta's growth.
No but Atlanta ranks high in desirability.People like living here versus "they got a job so they gotta stay"

Old 10-11-2016, 04:29 PM

23,556 posts, read 44,242,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
True, but I'm sure in the case of many an individual or company considering relocation it seals the deal.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 PM
bu2

24,141 posts, read 14,977,981 times
Well I will say this about the original article. There are parts of Guatemala City that are fabulous. Streets lined in flowers with nice buildings. It feels like parts of Paris or Vancouver, not like the ugliest city in the world. The worst part about Guatemala City is the dark sky because of all the burning in the rural areas.

As for the Rust Belt, Buffalo is pretty boring. And I've spent very little time in Detroit, but there was a National Geographic article that showed vast swaths of abandoned areas where they have simply torn down the houses and left empty lots. Regardless of what the remaining houses look like, that is not a good look.

Atlanta has very nice parts. Downtown is not one of its better parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta