Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
MARTA still has a terrible coverage for a 5.5M metro.
Well, MARTA has never tried to cover a metro of 5.5 million people. It's only set up for two counties, and the rest of the metro has explicitly rejected MARTA and treated it like the plague.

In my opinion MARTA does a pretty good job in most of its coverage area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, MARTA has never tried to cover a metro of 5.5 million people. It's only set up for two counties, and the rest of the metro has explicitly rejected MARTA and treated it like the plague.

If it builds another South/North line through the Eastside, I'll agree with you.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
This thread, like a few others, has wandered into the twighlight zone.... Maybe we should start anew???

Old 11-01-2013, 10:31 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
Traffic is the worst problem we have. It is probably the worst in the USA here. If we are ever going to solve it, we need BOTH massive road projects starting with the Outer Perimeter and we need massive transit projects that include a mixture of Bus Rapid Transit, MARTA rail expansion and streetcars.
Excellent point about needing large-scale transit projects to address our transit issues.

But large-scale road projects like the Outer Perimeter continue to be more and more of a political impossibility due to increasing public pushback from the public as noted by 2002 gubernatorial victory by Sonny Perdue over Roy Barnes largely on the strength of intense widespread public anger and opposition to the proposed Northern Arc/Outer Perimeter road project.

Ever since that statewide election which flipped the political balance of power from Democrats (who had been power for about 140 years) to Republicans, the Outer Perimeter (particularly the Northern Arc) road construction proposal has been politically-radioactive because of the politically-crucial areas that the road was proposed to run through.

...Areas like mainly through the politically-powerful counties of Forsyth and Cherokee, both of which intentionally filled the proposed path of the road with new high-end residential development because they did not want the road constructed within their borders.

...There's also the matter of Bartow County which has many interests (including the powerful Rollins family of insecticiding and pesticiding fame) which have recently just seemingly successfully turned-back state efforts to build the controversial 411-75 Connector through historic Dobbins Mountain just outside of Cartersville after a nearly 30-year legal battle with the Georgia Department of Transportation to stop a road which seemed to be very-unpopular in those parts (in the Bartow County/Cartersville area).

Contrary to seeming popular belief inside of the I-285 Perimeter and the City of Atlanta, large-scale road projects are not really all that popular with residents in suburban areas outside of I-285 because they believe that unnecessary large-scale road construction creates much more overdevelopment and traffic than it alleviates.

With public opinion continuing to turn sharply against large-scale road construction proposals, there is no need for a "grand bargain" that includes just as many large-scale road construction proposals as it does large-scale transit expansion proposals.

The REAL need is for the state government of Georgia to stop d**king around, do its job (as mandated by the Constitution of the State of Georgia) and adequately fund the state's transportation needs (particularly within the fast-growing greater Atlanta metro region)...transportation needs which include an extremely heavy amount of transit at this point in time.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And the places ranked higher than us, actually have alternatives. We have NONE!

Not an option for most.

Well doesnt that seem crazy that they have options yet there traffic is still bad ..

Old 11-02-2013, 01:42 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Quote:

bus? yes. subway? no. MARTA is simply not extensive enough, even ITP. it was extensive enough for 1980, not 2010. atlantic station and the entire west midtown area, the whole eastside corridor along the beltline and out ponce and north, CDC/emory, vast sections of buckhead, are not covered by rail lines like they need to be. saying that it's not good enough isn't pessimistic, it's the first step to solve the problem. you can't solve a problem if you don't admit that it exists.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
atlantic station and the entire west midtown area, the whole eastside corridor along the beltline and out ponce and north, CDC/emory, vast sections of buckhead, are not covered by rail lines like they need to be.
They are also not covered by buses like they need to be. Sections of these areas that should have buses don't. And because of this, shorter distances that should be covered and a short bus ride away end up taking hours by bus.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
bus? yes. subway? no. MARTA is simply not extensive enough, even ITP. it was extensive enough for 1980, not 2010. atlantic station and the entire west midtown area, the whole eastside corridor along the beltline and out ponce and north, CDC/emory, vast sections of buckhead, are not covered by rail lines like they need to be. saying that it's not good enough isn't pessimistic, it's the first step to solve the problem. you can't solve a problem if you don't admit that it exists.
I could see a streetcar being useful on Peachtree and on the heavily populated portions of the Beltline.

An E-W line that would run from Virginia-Highland to Atlantic Station (or maybe even to Huff Road) might also be worthwhile.

I also think it makes sense to connect Emory to the Lindbergh MARTA complex. Emory traffic is some of the worst in the city and a good many workers and students live close enough to benefit from a light rail line.

However, these lines are about intra-city connectivity. Most people who live in the city work in the suburbs, and more intown connections aren't necessarily going to help them get to work.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
I could see a streetcar being useful on Peachtree and on the heavily populated portions of the Beltline.
Better to do Peachtree from Lenox to 14th, then run a one-way pair along the Piedmont/Juniper corridor down to Turner Field

Quote:
An E-W line that would run from Virginia-Highland to Atlantic Station (or maybe even to Huff Road) might also be worthwhile.
I'd extend it to the Howell Mill/Collier area.

Quote:
I also think it makes sense to connect Emory to the Lindbergh MARTA complex. Emory traffic is some of the worst in the city and a good many workers and students live close enough to benefit from a light rail line.
MARTA's proposed Clifton Corridor would do this.
Quote:
However, these lines are about intra-city connectivity. Most people who live in the city work in the suburbs, and more intown connections aren't necessarily going to help them get to work.
That's why concurrent HRT extensions are crucial.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:53 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Quote:

Most of the suburbs are such low density that having rail going to them is just not economically feasible. You can't expect MARTA to spend billions and billions to send rail to every suburb...You just can't.

Cities like NYC are known for their extensive heavy rail within their 350 or so square miles. We need more transit in and right near the city. We also need more transit in dense suburban corridors....Along I-20 in Dekalb, into Marietta and Gwinnett if we can ever get them to allow MARTA tax. If not, then I mean, the only place to send rail to in the suburbs are N Fulton and Dekalb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta