Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM

23,563 posts, read 44,268,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Don't disagree with your basic premise at all but let's not forget the Republicans weren't willing to do anything so there was nobody or anything to compromise with. A public option or medicare for all would have been far better but again there was no help from the right and red state democrats weren't buying it either. Accordingly, what we have now is what BO could get and remember he only passed this with 51 democratic votes from the senate.

He deserves much credit for getting what he could and not letting, perfect be the enemy of good, and in my opinion the ACA is more than likely a down payment on what will eventually become a single payer/medicare for all type system. Not right away, but eventually, as employer based health care makes no sense at all and is a real drag on their bottom line as well. Lastly, I think employers who are now beginning to put their employees on the exchanges is the first sign of this inevitable move towards single payer.
Not willing to do anything? More than one alternative plan was introduced. That is easily enough proven just by googling. If there has been any stonewalling, I think that by scratching the surface we can determine where it is.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,154,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not willing to do anything? More than one alternative plan was introduced. That is easily enough proven just by googling. If there has been any stonewalling, I think that by scratching the surface we can determine where it is.
As your idol Reagan used to say "there you go again". Pathetic.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM

70 posts, read 162,172 times
People in Georgia hate Carter. Especially the republicans. No way will they change parties to vote for him, no democrat will ever have a chance in Georgia again unless something very drastic happens.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,838,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
People in Georgia hate Carter. Especially the republicans. No way will they change parties to vote for him, no democrat will ever have a chance in Georgia again unless something very drastic happens.
You do know that Georgia was Democratic until 2000?We've had several Democratic governors up until then.Even the speaker of the house was Democratic.That's not so long ago.

And by people,you must mean white.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM

630 posts, read 1,268,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You do know that Georgia was Democratic until 2000?We've had several Democratic governors up until then.Even the speaker of the house was Democratic.That's not so long ago.

And by people,you must mean white.
OH SNAP! But yes, you're right. Republicans around here seem to forget that white conservatives aren't the only voters in Georgia. Obama got 45% of the vote in Georgia last year with almost no help from white voters. Democrats like Jason Carter don't need to win a majority of the white vote to win outright.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
As your idol Reagan used to say "there you go again". Pathetic.
Pathetic is using little homilies like this instead of coming from a position of conviction.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
OH SNAP! But yes, you're right. Republicans around here seem to forget that white conservatives aren't the only voters in Georgia. Obama got 45% of the vote in Georgia last year with almost no help from white voters. Democrats like Jason Carter don't need to win a majority of the white vote to win outright.
And in 2008, Democrat candidate Jim Martin lost his bid for the Senate seat in a runoff. Why? Because the voters that were there to vote for Obama (and found that it was easy enough to vote for Martin while they were at it) failed to show up for the runoff election. Ho, hum. Can't be bothered. That lack of conviction among Democrat voters will continue to be a problem.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,838,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And in 2008, Democrat candidate Jim Martin lost his bid for the Senate seat in a runoff. Why? Because the voters that were there to vote for Obama (and found that it was easy enough to vote for Martin while they were at it) failed to show up for the runoff election. Ho, hum. Can't be bothered. That lack of conviction among Democrat voters will continue to be a problem.
You know it is what it is.You are right.I might add one caveat.

Lets just be honest:Blacks don't vote like they should due to disenfranchisement.

Remember Mitch Skandalakis and his run for Lt.Gov?How his commercials attacking black politicians in Atlanta got blacks to vote in record numbers,thereby defeating him and helping Dems control all levels of government at that time?

Its ugly but all there has to be is a reason to incense the voting public and they will vote in large numbers.

The other thing is how run off elections favor Republicans most of the time.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,901,386 times
it's not a surprise at all, even excluding disenfranchisement due to discrimination, voters that are richer, older, and have better access to transportation are going to be more likely to vote, simply because they have a lower opportunity cost for voting: many are either retired, can afford to skip work, have more flexible schedules, and so on. those demographics favour the republicans.

it's not apathy.

to put it bluntly, if you're choosing between whether to pay your electric bill or vote, you're going to be less likely to make it to the polls than someone who's choosing between voting and fishing on their day off. that sucks, but it favours republicans by a longshot.

in a state where democrats far outnumber republicans like new york and michigan, democrats still win even though the republicans have the turnout advantage.

when a state is closer to 50-50 democrats and republicans like georgia, north carolina, and now to a lesser extent florida and virginia, the republican is always going to win on turnout alone, unless the republicans REALLY **** everyone off badly enough that they get their asses kicked anyway.

seeing as what the republicans, especially the house republicans, have been up to, risking the collapse of the world economy on a health care law, i think you're going to see a *lot* of pissed off people next year. unless the house republicans cut it out and decide to start proposing their own plans to get the country moving forward instead of just saying 'no' to everything the democrats propose when they have no real ideas of their own, people are still going to be upset next year.

face it guys, what have the republicans proposed in the last 3 years? i'm talking about nationally, not state. i can't think of a single thing they've actually proposed that isn't just "no" to what the democrats want, even if it's what the republicans proposed, they change their minds and say "no" anyway.

i could see why you'd vote for a republican on the state level— they're actually coming up with ideas and working, even if it's not always what i'm for, at least they're doing *something*!

if you're voting republican because you want to see obama and the democrats fail, congrats, you got what you wanted.

but those of you who are considering voting republican nationally because you want to see your country succeed, i beg you to reconsider.

the house and senate republicans have gotten our national credit rating downgraded when it has NEVER been beforeand we don't owe any more money than we did in the 50s, it's due to the republicans' refusal to pay national debts,

they have put the future of the united states and the world economy on the brink for the sake of making the democrats look bad.

if you don't have rocks in your head, you'll vote democrat on the national ticket.
on the state level, vote with your heart.

but at this point, you've got to be out of your mind to vote for a republican senator or congressman in this next election.

i haven't decided yet whether i'm voting for deal or carter for governor, but i know i'm going to vote for michelle nunn because this nonsense has got to stop.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,695,642 times
I love how all the white hicks in the sticks supposedly vote Republican, but how are they able to make it to the polls? Also how can they get ID? If the minorities living in dense urban area's cannot.

I also do not know what Bryantm3 is speaking about, because Michigan has a Republican Governor, Lt. Gov., Supermajority State Senate, Majority State House, and hold nine of the fourteen US House seats. The Democrats do hold both US Senate seats, but when Senator Levin retires it looks like Terri Lynn Land (R, former SOS) could pick up his seat.

Michigan did so great under Gov. Granholm (D) the one who thought replacing the complicated Single Business Tax with the Mich. Business tax was a great idea. I guess the Gov. thought the new name was cute. Michigan was the only state to lose population during 2000-2010. She also left herself with her "unique" husband after eight years of wrecking the state.

Pres. Obama's failures are all on him. Oh and the Republicans have not held a majority in the US Senate since 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta