Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Then go on their website and find out. They are frequently quoted by so-called serious journalists.
So what? That is nowhere near the level of influence that the Tea Party has had. There is no left-wing equivalent to the Tea Party.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
More Public School Funding Does Not Close Racial Achievement Gaps

For the people who say public schools are not equally funded.

Oh sorry it is from Heritage.
FWIW, none of the purported liberals or Dems brought up public school funding, you did.

Also FWIW, it is well known now that funding does not and can not close the achievement gap. The achievement gap is due to many factors, primarily thought to be: poverty, family life/background, and the low expectations placed on minority students by the public school system. And I will state, just so you know, that I do feel that many liberal teachers are to blame for the culture of low expectations for black boys in particular as I have seen with my own eyes that many teachers will give excuses to black boys about why they didn't do work or do not read on level - they will pity the background of that child or fall for some crying or whining about how the kid "can't do it" and then they will not be as tough on that child as they would on another kid of another race or a kid from another background. So the child will continue to fall behind because teachers "feel sorry" for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I love how all the white hicks in the sticks supposedly vote Republican, but how are they able to make it to the polls? Also how can they get ID? If the minorities living in dense urban area's cannot.

I also do not know what Bryantm3 is speaking about, because Michigan has a Republican Governor, Lt. Gov., Supermajority State Senate, Majority State House, and hold nine of the fourteen US House seats. The Democrats do hold both US Senate seats, but when Senator Levin retires it looks like Terri Lynn Land (R, former SOS) could pick up his seat.

Michigan did so great under Gov. Granholm (D) the one who thought replacing the complicated Single Business Tax with the Mich. Business tax was a great idea. I guess the Gov. thought the new name was cute. Michigan was the only state to lose population during 2000-2010. She also left herself with her "unique" husband after eight years of wrecking the state.

Pres. Obama's failures are all on him. Oh and the Republicans have not held a majority in the US Senate since 2006.
Again you are bringing up your own issue. No one has spoken about urban minorities and voter ID. FWIW again, I feel, especially here in GA and being that I am fiscally conservative, that requiring voter ID is a bad idea from a financial standpoint. Here in GA we have to pay to take people (mostly seniors) to the voter ID station and if they don't have money to get an ID we, as tax payers, have to pay for their ID so we are paying for cards, ink, gas, and fleet services vehicles just to get people IDs to combat voter fraud that statistically does not exist. Voter ID is a stupid conservative "issue." One that detracts from real issues we have in our state. And just so people know, those most affected by voter ID laws were seniors and students nationwide. Most black urban people have IDs contrary to what the conservative media states (like I said, some conservatives have a weird, skewed view of black people - as if we don't have driver's licenses or state IDs in large number ). Just because the NAACP gets involved in something does not mean that they are fighting for something specifically tied to black people. FYI, the NAACP has taken on a varied amount of cases, off the top of my head I know that the LDF (legal defense fund) was instrumental in solidifying equal work access for women as it relates to working while pregnant (many places formerly forced pregnant women to quit working because of their "condition") and in general for married women with smaller children to work - primarily married white women with small children were denied the opportunity for jobs in many industries because the businesses felt that "her place" was in the home. Both of these were fought and won by the LDF.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,151,021 times
Got to love how wingnuts blame private industry failures on Democrats all the time.

As for voter IDs, it's been well established by conservative that the only and absolutely only purpose is to suppress voting, not ensure voter integrity. There is no problem is fraud at at voting locations. People outside of the AM radio bubble know this and can see through the conservative BS.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM

70 posts, read 162,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You do know that Georgia was Democratic until 2000?We've had several Democratic governors up until then.Even the speaker of the house was Democratic.That's not so long ago.

And by people,you must mean white.
Yes I do know this. But you do know that the parties re-aligned and now everyone who used to be a traditional southern Dixiecrat is now a conservative republican. And yes, there are many more white people who happen to vote republican in Georgia, and that is probably never going to change. I am not saying it is a bad or good thing, I am just stating the facts.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,850,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
Yes I do know this. But you do know that the parties re-aligned and now everyone who used to be a traditional southern Dixiecrat is now a conservative republican. And yes, there are many more white people who happen to vote republican in Georgia, and that is probably never going to change. I am not saying it is a bad or good thing, I am just stating the facts.
I agree with this and it is a fact as well IMO, which is why I take not having a Tea Party GOP gubernatorial candidate VERY seriously and why I frequently vote in GOP primaries so that I can have a say in who eventually will be elected even if I don't vote for said GOP candidate when the general election takes place.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So what? That is nowhere near the level of influence that the Tea Party has had. There is no left-wing equivalent to the Tea Party.
Perhaps because they resonate with the American people.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,267,809 times
Quote:
Hmm. No, I don't think that's it.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,418,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I love that category "Haven't heard of". What??? I guess some folks really do have their heads in the sand.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM

23,512 posts, read 44,193,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
And who exactly is being polled?

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,321,462 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was overdue for a good laugh, and that really delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta