Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
I live in Cobb and tend to agree. A perfect example is TSPLOST. The original list of projects Cobb included to be funded by that initiative included a rail line to Midtown (I believe to the Arts Center). But at pubilic meetings residents complained that the rail project would take away money that could be used for road construction, so Cobb removed it from the list. I was so frustrated when that happened. Of course, TSPLOST was voted down region-wide, which was a big setback for smart growth and our transportation infrastructure.
I agree that we can put the blame for the TSPLOST failure on Cobb.

It was rejected all over metro Atlanta.

http://www.metroatlantatransportatio...voting_map.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree that we can put the blame for the TSPLOST failure on Cobb.

It was rejected all over metro Atlanta.

http://www.metroatlantatransportatio...voting_map.jpg

Right, I realize TSPLOST was rejected across Atlanta, but my point as it related to Cobb was that residents as well as government leaders tend not to support smart growth and public transportation (e.g. the rail line that was removed from the list of TSPLOST projects).

Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Cobb disputes Atlanta mayor?s claim Braves will need light-rail - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
Dumb, dumb, dumb! That's what Cobb leaders are. How STUPID can you be?

YES, Cobb DOES need rail. They're blind and need to be thrown out of office over there!

BRT isn't going to cut it!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What happens when the shuttle gets caught in game day traffic on 75? At least the current MARTA shuttle had a bus-only lane from Pulliam Street to Ralph David Abernathy Blvd. How is it any different form the complaints of some fans about having to take a bus from Five Points to the stadium? At least the current shuttle is only 5 minutes and not 30-60 minutes long.
I would think they would have access to the new reversible toll lanes and the HOV lanes ITP. On weekend games I would say for most fans getting on a bus directly outside the station and riding 15 minutes it would be just as quick as walking through Underground and riding a bus 5-10 minutes. On weeknights I-75 north really doesn't start slowing down until you get right around I-285 where they would be able to hop on the reversible toll lanes so I don't think it would be more than a 20-30 minute ride from Arts Center under most circumstances. There will be exceptions but the current shuttle system isn't perfect either. I was once on one where the driver somehow missed the exit and we ended up driving around for 30 minutes to get back up to the stadium.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Dumb, dumb, dumb! That's what Cobb leaders are. How STUPID can you be?

YES, Cobb DOES need rail. They're blind and need to be thrown out of office over there!

BRT isn't going to cut it!
You're right - they're clueless. This is a fiasco in the making.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How is this an improvement over riding the MARTA Braves shuttle?
Rather than MARTA, it would be run by an organization that better reflects the community which it serves. That is an ethical improvement.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Rather than MARTA, it would be run by an organization that better reflects the community which it serves. That is an ethical improvement.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I would think they would have access to the new reversible toll lanes and the HOV lanes ITP. On weekend games I would say for most fans getting on a bus directly outside the station and riding 15 minutes it would be just as quick as walking through Underground and riding a bus 5-10 minutes. On weeknights I-75 north really doesn't start slowing down until you get right around I-285 where they would be able to hop on the reversible toll lanes so I don't think it would be more than a 20-30 minute ride from Arts Center under most circumstances. There will be exceptions but the current shuttle system isn't perfect either. I was once on one where the driver somehow missed the exit and we ended up driving around for 30 minutes to get back up to the stadium.
And when are those lanes scheduled to be done? Those lanes start at where the current HOV lanes end at Akers Mill. One the buses exit at Akers Mill, they will get caught in rush hour/game day traffic just like everyone else. I guess this magic bridge will be the solution.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:42 AM

719 posts, read 1,333,137 times
They should build a pedestrian bridge in addition to Public trasnportation going to the stadium. It just makes sense...What makes no sense is the thought that regardless of who comes to the games to only allow people to get there by car, hot lanes, or busses in hot lanes... You don't build public transportation for just the immediate community you build it for the metro and to connect the city. A stadium is something of magnitude in a metro area that needs a connected no to mention all the business and the mall over there. Atlanta is getting bigger, and we're the King of the south! It's time to connect it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: