Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 AM

71 posts, read 112,486 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from NY and have to obtain a GA driver's license and re-register my vehicle. I searched high and low last night and noted that I can't find a single DMV that is open on weekends. Most are open at 8am when I'm at work, and close not much later than 4:30 M-F which is exactly when I get out of work.

I also noted that the post office in one of the busiest areas (Dunwoody) closes by 5pm and I can't find any drop boxes for mail anywhere. Just wondering why this is??? It's so inconvenient, I have no idea how anyone gets things done around here. I have very limited time to take off work to get this done so I'm feeling super frustrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
They are open on Saturday's and a lot close at 6pm.

I think, you are mixing up the tag n dds office. The tag office usually has one late day during the week. The dds is open Tuesday to Saturday, 730 to 6 or 630, during the week (unsure of Saturday), depending on location.

I've noticed the lack of drop boxes as well. It's enough post offices that it doesn't matter.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Home - Department of Driver Services

Sandy Springs, Marietta, North Cobb, downtown Atlanta, Norcross, are all open Tuesday thru Friday from 7:30 to 6:30 and Saturday from 7:30 to noon. Saturday and Tuesday are the busiest days, so get there early.

The tag offices are the ones that have limited hours. They are typically only open weekdays from 8 to 4:30: Untitled Page

Most post offices have drive-thru drop boxes accessible 24 hours.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
As billl Above said, Driver Lic & Car Registration are done in by different parts of the government.
Drivers Licenses are done by DDS (State).
Car Registration (Tags / Plates ) are done as a "Tax" collection function by your county.

https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction.action Will Find you the Blue Boxes. You can generate Postage Labels online for item <16oz and drop them in the box.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 AM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
Welcome to Georgia, and Atlanta. 'Round here these parts it's known as the DDS (dept of driver services), not the dmv - dept motor vehicles which is what I was used to as well in Californ-i-a. Just one of the many nuances to adjust to if you're moving in from outta state.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
Welcome to Georgia, and Atlanta. 'Round here these parts it's known as the DDS (dept of driver services), not the dmv - dept motor vehicles which is what I was used to as well in Californ-i-a. Just one of the many nuances to adjust to if you're moving in from outta state.
They just changed that name like 2 years ago. Heck, people STILL call it the dmv

Old 11-23-2013, 12:59 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB9540 View Post
I just moved here from NY and have to obtain a GA driver's license and re-register my vehicle. I searched high and low last night and noted that I can't find a single DMV that is open on weekends. Most are open at 8am when I'm at work, and close not much later than 4:30 M-F which is exactly when I get out of work.

I also noted that the post office in one of the busiest areas (Dunwoody) closes by 5pm and I can't find any drop boxes for mail anywhere. Just wondering why this is??? It's so inconvenient, I have no idea how anyone gets things done around here. I have very limited time to take off work to get this done so I'm feeling super frustrated
Well, what part of Dunwoody? The post office by the Perimeter Mall area WalMart does close at 5; however, the one in Dunwoody Village, about a mile away, closes at 6, and on Saturday 9-1. Both offices have drop boxes inside for smaller boxes. Also, FYI, the post office in Sandy Springs (beside the Kroger off Hammond Drive) is open from 9 am until 8 pm, and on Saturdays until 5 pm. Very convenient.

Lines for drivers licenses are notoriously long around here. One strategy that people use is getting in line between 6:30 and 7:00 am (don't worry, there will be a line when you get there) so you can be there when it opens at 7:30 am. Make sure you have all your necessary documentation, because they are unforgiving, and there's no sense wasting your time sitting in line if you're just going to be turned away.

For Georgia drivers licenses: New to Georgia. The closest office is the one on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs. It's open 7:30 - 6:30 M-F, and 7:30 to noon on Saturday. (Don't go on a Monday or the day after a holiday -- busiest days). TAKE CASH.

Yep, the tag offices are a PITA with their hours. It might be worth a phone call to see if you can mail in the information. Once you have your tag, you'll never have to go there again for renewals, etc., because you'll be able to establish an on-line account and do renewals on-line.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

Lines for drivers licenses are notoriously long around here. One strategy that people use is getting in line between 6:30 and 7:00 am (don't worry, there will be a line when you get there) so you can be there when it opens at 7:30 am. Make sure you have all your necessary documentation, because they are unforgiving, and there's no sense wasting your time sitting in line if you're just going to be turned away.

For Georgia drivers licenses: New to Georgia. The closest office is the one on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs. It's open 7:30 - 6:30 M-F, and 7:30 to noon on Saturday. (Don't go on a Monday or the day after a holiday -- busiest days). TAKE CASH.

Yep, the tag offices are a PITA with their hours. It might be worth a phone call to see if you can mail in the information. Once you have your tag, you'll never have to go there again for renewals, etc., because you'll be able to establish an on-line account and do renewals on-line.
Not anymore. When I transferred my license in 2005, it was a 9 am-2pm event. When I went back in 2008, all of 20 minutes. I went on Thursday to renew, I spent 35 minutes waiting and 8 minutes at the counter for my license. If it wasn't for the card reader freezing up, I could have been out in 5 minutes.

If you don't have all your documents, you will get a temporary license, if you have enough and you can do the rest online before the time is up to get your permanent one in the mail.

The DDS is not open on Monday. They are a Tuesday to Saturday operation.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 PM

71 posts, read 112,486 times
Thanks for the info, everyone. After posting this I did find the DDS and TAG are different (that was new to me - in NY, the DMV still takes care of everything, as far as I know!) I looked online though and it said most DDS offices close at noon on Saturday?? I'll have to double check those weekend hours.

My car just got shipped today around 11am so I didn't try to rush it since I thought they close at noon - I'll do that the weekend after next. I did a lot of running around today and although was initially annoyed, it turned into a much better day, so thank you all

It's just hard trying to get adjusted to everything and trying to beat traffic everywhere, which I'm not used to To dblackga - thanks for the tip re: the other post office in Dunwoody village and Sandy Springs. That will sure make a difference!!

Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Not anymore. When I transferred my license in 2005, it was a 9 am-2pm event. When I went back in 2008, all of 20 minutes. I went on Thursday to renew, I spent 35 minutes waiting and 8 minutes at the counter for my license. If it wasn't for the card reader freezing up, I could have been out in 5 minutes.
Some days you get lucky. Other days, like last week when a friend went to the one in Sandy Springs, she was there for 2-1/2 hours for a new license. C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta