Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You have to wonder how this section of the Beltline qualified as "blighted."
O4W was really quite rough even just 5 years ago, "Ponce City Market" was just a gigantic building that mostly sat rotting and was an eye-sore. It was definitely blighted, and it is amazing how far it has come.

As for the original question: Even if the entire length of the Beltline is built out in the next few years, we will not see the entire city gentrified. But even for the original residents of gentrified neighborhoods, they usually end up better off than they were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM

298 posts, read 374,039 times
@ jsvh

You're absolutely right. I knew this link would come in handy soon:

The Gentrification Puzzle - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Obviously as areas become more in demand and vacant lots disappear, reducing the supply that can come to market, pricing is going to go up. This is not a bad thing either, this is simply what happens when areas become in demand. One way to combat this is to allow the neighborhoods to achieve higher density, but NIMBYism can be strong and keep supply down.

But what is affordable? Even Atlanta's higher rents in town are on the low end of other major, desirable cities. So in that regard, Atlanta is very affordable. I think what happens often is that people want a SFH, in a desirable area, on a decent lot and then are surprised when that 4-bedroom home in Virginia Highland isn't within their means.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:18 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLJR View Post
But what is affordable? Even Atlanta's higher rents in town are on the low end of other major, desirable cities. So in that regard, Atlanta is very affordable.
I understand that, but I'm not sure $1400 a month for a one bedroom apartment is what most people had in mind when the Beltline's Affordable Housing Trust started passing out $2 million grants to developers.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
Thats an unfair comparison surely....Bayonne is maybe 12 miles from Manhattan? PCM is a mile from Midtown.

How much is a (one bed) property similar to those found in PCM which is located on Manhattan? Must be over $2.5k a month at a guess.
No, not really. New York is also considerably larger and the apartment practically sits on top of the train station.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
O4W was really quite rough even just 5 years ago, "Ponce City Market" was just a gigantic building that mostly sat rotting and was an eye-sore. It was definitely blighted, and it is amazing how far it has come.

As for the original question: Even if the entire length of the Beltline is built out in the next few years, we will not see the entire city gentrified. But even for the original residents of gentrified neighborhoods, they usually end up better off than they were before.
Current residents shouldn't have to settle just so new folks can move in, but that's just my opinion.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
Aren't property values rising a good thing? Should we not add amenities to our city (i.e. the beltline) because it might cause gentrification? I'm only seeing positives here.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
this is an extremely valid and important concern. there isn't enough affordable housing, and if progress isn't made on that front immediately, lower income people will be priced out of the area. take a look at the area around old fourth ward park, for example. they didn't move fast enough and now it's 90% developed, and none of the units are affordable.

realistically, we need to find a way to make affordable housing (mixed income, of course) something that the private industry does and not the city; make it economically feasible and get them involved.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Aren't property values rising a good thing? Should we not add amenities to our city (i.e. the beltline) because it might cause gentrification? I'm only seeing positives here.
if you consider the poor and minorities being priced out of their own neighbourhoods a good thing, yeah, it's frocking fantastic.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
realistically, we need to find a way to make affordable housing (mixed income, of course) something that the private industry does and not the city; make it economically feasible and get them involved.
Eg: Villages of East Lake.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Current residents shouldn't have to settle just so new folks can move in, but that's just my opinion.
What do you mean "settle"? If their house is worth more, why shouldn't they "cash out" if they want? Neighborhoods are always changing. People should be allowed to live where they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta