Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Is the city of Atlanta often at odds with the rest of the state?

Though I have not been to Georgia, I have been to every other southern state, and the idea I get from Georgians is that they are just as country and southern as people from Mississippi and Alabama. Atlanta however puts a different spin on things. People from the big city are more open minded, more diverse, have more varied hobbies or interests, don't have the same thick accent as people from rural areas.

Just how at odds with the rest of the state is Atlanta? Probably to the same degree that people from northern Louisiana are with those from New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Kudos for not hating the rest of the state. Personally, there's no way I could be happy (in Georgia) and live more than an hour away from Atlanta (unless in Savannah or the Mountains). South Georgia is about as boring as it gets, but there are charming aspects of it, mostly the people.
If I had to move out of Atlanta, it would be to coastal Georgia. I love St. Simmons, Savannah, and a couple of other areas in between. I also really like Thomasville, way down there in SW Georgia. People there seemed a bit more open minded, and the historic part of town is really a nice place - more local restaurants, a great Victorian festival, etc. While I like visiting the mountains, I find the area (In General, not everywhere) to be more conservative and closed minded than places in south Georgia. Now, this is from an outsiders perspective, but talking to the people and just seeing the signs along the road, that's the impression I get.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:01 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Is the city of Atlanta often at odds with the rest of the state?

Though I have not been to Georgia, I have been to every other southern state, and the idea I get from Georgians is that they are just as country and southern as people from Mississippi and Alabama. Atlanta however puts a different spin on things. People from the big city are more open minded, more diverse, have more varied hobbies or interests, don't have the same thick accent as people from rural areas.

Just how at odds with the rest of the state is Atlanta? Probably to the same degree that people from northern Louisiana are with those from New Orleans?
The same as NY vs NYC, Chicago vs Illinois, etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:07 PM

194 posts, read 317,346 times
I'm not dissin' south Ga in any way. Please don't get me wrong. Some say that its the original Ga and I cant argue that. Believe it or not, South Georgia is really pretty. Rolling hills, vast fields, huge farms, deep woods, etc.. I still have family in Unadilla and have great memories of my childhood there, but lets get serious. Rural Ga has its "bad areas" no matter how small the town.

Stewart county anyone???

Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
I'm not dissin' south Ga in any way. Please don't get me wrong. Some say that its the original Ga and I cant argue that. Believe it or not, South Georgia is really pretty. Rolling hills, vast fields, huge farms, deep woods, etc.. I still have family in Unadilla and have great memories of my childhood there, but lets get serious. Rural Ga has its "bad areas" no matter how small the town.

Stewart county anyone???
I would say half of the crime comes from teens that are bored lol. Don't ask me how I know this

Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 PM

183 posts, read 298,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Now, having grown up 30 miles from Albany, I'd avoid that city. But, there are many south GA town that are charming, have a stable and wise government and generally provide a great quality of life. It may be boring compared to Atlanta, but I sure do appreciate that part of the world.
I'm not sure of where in southern GA you grew up in, but I did visit Thomasville, GA, that town was quite nice IMO. I loved their downtown area. But, I am pretty much a city kid and my only experience with being in a small town for an extended period was Albany and South GA to me was quite a shock to me and I just never got used to it. Also Americus had a nice little downtown with some amazing homes just off downtown.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
I remember going to school in Albany and I had a part time job while I was there and people there could tell by the way I talked and carried myself that I wasn't from around there. I told them I was raised in Atlanta, and so many of them commented how could u live there and I think a couple of times I did accidentally say well how could you live here. Didn't mean to say it, but it was the first thing that came to my head. Then they'd ask about traffic, I'd be thinking, I'd rather sit on 285 in traffic, knowing I'm going to have a great weekend out, than be down here lol..a lot of people down there actually did want to move up to Atlanta, especially the younger adults. But as for the crime, I remember people asking about the crime, but for those who aren't familiar. Albany is NO joke when it comes to crime. I had a good friend who lived just off campus, and when I'd go to his house, I would hear gunshots often. Plus there are neighborhoods down in Albany that are so crime ridden, you just don't go in if you're not from there. In fact, I believe Albany was the murder capital for a couple of years and I even had a classmate who was gunned down in that town. I've heard Cordele, GA was pretty bad too
I'm from Albany, went to Albany State. Most of the students were/are from Atlanta and loved to talk down about the place...Yes Albany is crime-ridden (esp the east and southsides) but there are nice areas that people seem to ignore or not even realize. Thank goodness I grew up on the nicer side of town...

I've heard it was the murder capital back in the 80s(obviously per capita) but I just refuse to believe it. Never saw anything concrete to support it. Plus, there are always like 10 cities claiming to be the "Murder Capital" all at once.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I remember a few weeks ago my mom was up here and see saw the traffic at spaghetti junction she was like lol

The bad part is that they get our news station in south Ga so they get to see all the crime, the traffic accidents, etc. With their news the main story is a duck was ran over by a truck. They turn on our news and see crime for the first 5 mins and they are like

Too bad my mom watches it daily and anytime there is a shooting or a deadly car accident on my side of town she is calling me making sure that it wasnt me
Funny you say that. When my mother asked about traffic, we were at Spaghetti Junction. LOL

Actually, Savannah doesn't get any Atlanta news stations. Maybe that's other parts of South Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
. I love St. Simmons
Simmons? Too many M's. It's St. Simons.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
I'm not sure of where in southern GA you grew up in, but I did visit Thomasville, GA, that town was quite nice IMO. I loved their downtown area. But, I am pretty much a city kid and my only experience with being in a small town for an extended period was Albany and South GA to me was quite a shock to me and I just never got used to it. Also Americus had a nice little downtown with some amazing homes just off downtown.
I actually grew up on a farm about halfway between Americus and Cordele. I still am very nostalgic about the place and hope to have that quiet environment one day again - albeit on a beach somewhere!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
How can rural GA say anything negative about Atlanta when they have Honey Booboo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta