Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times

Advertisements

What I'm trying to say is, you're thinking in terms of being able to afford the place by yourself. That's fine, that's great....but also think about affording the place by yourself AND supporting your girlfriend. That happens.

And when I say supporting your girlfriend, I don't mean you give her money to spend. But what I am saying is when you're working and she's not, guess who buys the laundry detergent, toothpaste, food, etc.? That's right....you do. Only now, those things run out twice as fast because there are 2 people using them. You'll also double your water consumption, use more electricity, etc. So even if you don't feel like you're supporting her because you don't actually give her money, you are very much supporting her in that having another person in the house adds significantly to expenses that are hard to consider until you are in that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,885,065 times
Yes.

You can live there just fine on that.

I have lived in Midtown with similar housing costs (different places. one slightly less, one slightly more) to what you are paying in Alpharetta.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Fyi

Dont move in a chick with you unless she is your wife
Wiser words have never been spoken.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,679 times
It's possible, like other have noted, if you are supporting yourself. She will be a drain on your resources, so unless she can finance her half of expenses including rent, utilities, an incidentals I would not move in with a girlfriend. Too many reasons why this is a not a good idea, and none of them concerns your 40k salary. You will be pushing your sanity and resources to the limit, and a non working "roommate" is problematic even if it's your girl/boy friend.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:31 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,146 times
FYI....

If you move her in without a job she will expect that you will continue to pay all the bills while her money is for shopping. By the way, she can call the police on you while she is living you and you will get kicked out of your own place and you will have to continue paying rent while you are living in a cardboard box in downtown.

- If you get sick of her you can't legally kick her out your house these days.

- If you do move her in make sure it says what she is required to pay on the paperwork

Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 AM

How would it benefit you if she moves in?

Will she cook you dinner each night? Will she keep the house clean? Will she wash your clothes? etc

If she isn't going any of this why let her move in?

It will benefit her if she moves in with you but how will it benefit you? You will have a in the house sex partner, yes but she will have sex with you at her own place. Remember you hold the all the power if she isn't living with you. Once she moves in she will have the power then

Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 AM

60 posts, read 142,234 times
The benefits I'd be receiving would be a reduced expense for myself. She likes to clean, but by no means would I ever require her to cook, clean, wash clothes, etc. That's really old fashioned, and I'm almost 24. I'm pretty sure I know how to do my own laundry and cook my own meals now. Her moving in would make things cheaper for both of us, as well as allowing us to spend more time together. There are economic benefits for both of us and there are emotional/romantic benefits as well.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halseyspartan2 View Post
The benefits I'd be receiving would be a reduced expense for myself. She likes to clean, but by no means would I ever require her to cook, clean, wash clothes, etc. That's really old fashioned, and I'm almost 24. I'm pretty sure I know how to do my own laundry and cook my own meals now. Her moving in would make things cheaper for both of us, as well as allowing us to spend more time together. There are economic benefits for both of us and there are emotional/romantic benefits as well.
Good luck young man. Just remember that they all say that to get you in the door. "Let's just move in so we can save money." Just remember she will expect for you to pay the majority of the bills, to help her with her student loans, to help her pay off her debt, etc. Then you will still have to beg for sex and beg for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from her. Don't fall for the trap. Don't move her in unless you both are married is my advice but good luck again!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:01 PM

60 posts, read 142,234 times
Gerry I don't want to be mean here but you sound like a very cynical person. Not all women are like that, and in fact I would argue that the women that fit your description are in a very, very small minority. Why do you feel the way that you do?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times
Quote:
Her name will be on the lease with a strict delineation of what bills/payments are her responsibility and which are mine.
I can see the logic behind this, and I definitely understand the benefit.

However, also understand that keeping her off the lease puts more power in your hands. If you break up, you can basically kick her out without having to worry about anything. If you are both on the lease and break up, she can decide to be a problem and refuse to move out, forcing you to break your half of the lease.

If you can arrange it, the most ideal situation would be to have the lease drawn up in her name. That way, you are the one who is free to move in or out whenever you feel like it and you don't have to worry about her being "short this month" because it will be her credit that suffers because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta