Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,083 times

Advertisements

How about some good non-related storm news

Metro Atlanta unemployment rate 6.8% in December - Atlanta Business Chronicle

The holiday season helped create retail jobs, so we'll see what happens in the coming months. Personally I'm optimistic as I've been reading about the office vacancy rate on the decline, thousands of jobs on their way to the Perimeter are in the coming years, concrete companies loading up on trucks because of the stadiums and widening of I75 and commercial/residential construction, tech companies looking to relocate here, Georgia exports on the rise,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
What does this have to do with the Snow storm issues?????

Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,773 times
I wonder what the area's labor participation rate is?

The unemployment rate has become a very, very bad stat since so many people dropped out of labor force.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

The unemployment rate has become a very, very bad stat since so many people dropped out of labor force.
That's a good point and slightly down.

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/pdf/pr/laborforce.pdf

News today that the US economy grew at 3.2%

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/bu...&rref=business

Let's hope this is true (5% sounds good to me!):

Georgia's Economic Growth Set To Outpace The Nation's In 2014

Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,519 times
I really hope this is true. I long to see it dip below 5% for everybody. Atlanta truly won't rebound until the job creation machine cranks up.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

This is such an absurd line from conservatives.

Of course the participation rate is dropping, the largest portion of the population (boomers) are starting to retire. It's going to go down for probably another decade. Then in a while longer when the boomers start dying, it will go up again.

The unemployment rate means the same thing today as it always did, what percentage of people wanting to work are able to secure employment.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
This is such an absurd line from conservatives.

Of course the participation rate is dropping, the largest portion of the population (boomers) are starting to retire. It's going to go down for probably another decade. Then in a while longer when the boomers start dying, it will go up again.

The unemployment rate means the same thing today as it always did, what percentage of people wanting to work are able to secure employment.
MSNBC talking point?

Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,262,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
MSNBC talking point?
Let me Google that for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=largest+generat...story+retiring

Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,563,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
The holiday season helped create retail jobs, so we'll see what happens in the coming months.
Unfortunately, the majority of those seasonal jobs are just that; seasonal. Keep that in mind when you see January's not-so-hot numbers being reported as a down month.

There's always a broader picture.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
MSNBC talking point?
The labor force participation rate thing is a conservative talking point.

It seems like every time someone points out the unemployment rate is going down, someone conservative pops up and says "but wait, that doesn't matter, the participation rate is dropping". It's a totally absurd talking point that was just invented so they would not ever have to admit that the employment picture was improving while Obama was president.

The participation rate goes up and down periodically primarily because of demographics. It's in a downward cycle right now because more of our population is older (due to the baby boom).

Another conservative argument is "well a bunch of people were looking for work and couldn't find it, so they decided not to work anymore", which is even more absurd. If someone needed to work to survive, how does that need change if they initially had trouble finding a job? Unemployment only provides a short term support system, and they surely aren't going to live on food stamps and the MINIMAL level of other government assistance that might be available to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: