Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you may also want to check out cabbagetown, which is directly to the west. transit is good as there's a couple of marta stations nearby— you could hop on the train and be at the airport in 25 minutes or less. prices are relatively cheap now, but they're going up. i find this to be one of the most laid back areas of the city; relatively nice and slow.
Cabbagetown is ranked as the number one neighborhood in the city, based on access to greenspace, quality of schools, transportation options, number of retail and commercial businesses, and other QOL factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I've often wondered, do the type of neighborhoods people like change based on the city they live in. I guess the question to be answered would have to be what do you expect to get out of a neighborhood first. It would be interesting to see if someone lived in 5 different cities, would they be attracted to similar neighborhoods in each city or would their taste in neighborhood change based on the city.

If someone lives in Midtown for instance, they probably like the restaurants, nightlife, high-rise living, easy transit access. If someone lives in Little Five Points, they probably like the corky-ness, restaurants, human scale, and natural setting. Would that person try to find a similar neighborhood to those if they moved to another city though? Do our preferences change based on our location? I would think they do because I would assume we are looking for something different in each city. The variety is probably what attracts us to different cities and allows us to appreciate different cities for their different neighborhoods and what they have to offer.

I do wonder however, if people who don't like certain cities feel that way because they can't find the neighborhoods they are used to or that they prefer. It is definitely interesting thinking about it.
You usually move because of jobs. Most people are probably looking for something similar. When we moved to Atlanta, we were looking for something like the Rice University area we lived in in Houston. There was a great elementary school, a close knit neighborhood, convenience to work, shopping and restaurants, a pretty area. Being able to walk to dozens of restaurants and a short drive to about anything you needed was a plus. We were also able to get on the freeway and get anywhere pretty quickly (non-rush hour of course). In appearance, it most looked like Virginia Highlands with its brick cottages. So we looked at the area around Morris Brandon elementary (Peachtree Hills?), Virginia Highlands and Druid Hills. Now you can't get everywhere (or much of anywhere far) quickly in Atlanta in non-rush hour, but those areas are reasonably convenient to downtown and central Atlanta.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Any love for Glenwood Park, anyone?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
It's been about two years and a lot has changed in Atlanta, so I'm bringing this back.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 AM

34 posts, read 33,404 times
I will be the first to respond to Round Two:

I moved to Fairlie Poplar for convenience (walk to work) but never dreamed it would be become my favorite neighborhood. But it has become just that. It is admittedly a strange place to call home: It's in the middle of a tourist/convention/university zone with a homeless problem that just won't get better and you have to plan your life around Georgia Dome traffic.

Yet, somehow, the bustle of Broad Street on a weekday, the tulips in Woodruff Park, the enchanting lights of the Skyview Ferris wheel at night, Centennial Olympic Park, the Streetcar and more have cast their spell on me.

Get me a full-service grocery store down here, and I really will be happy.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:43 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
West End.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM

197 posts, read 184,222 times
Inman Park

Old 01-18-2016, 01:46 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Still Ansley Park. Brookwood Hills runs a close second.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times
Kirkwood

Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,878 times
Inman Park/L5P then the Highlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta