Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,833,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Whoever thought of having the various power company crews travel from state to state based on need is a genius
This is hardly a new concept. Southern Company has been "lending" and "borrowing" crews for a long time. Many of the GA-based SoCo lineman working in their home state this week, were assisting in PA last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,826,573 times
After the storm in 2011 when I was trapped in the house for a week, I bought these rubber tread things with metal spikes that you wrap around the bottom of your shoes to help get around on ice if you had to. I really did not have that much faith in them but when I tried them out two weeks ago, they worked well.

I just heard a suggestion on the news for if you're in a pinch and need to walk across icy areas, put screws in the bottom of your shoes or put socks over your shoes. I wish I had known that three years ago lol. I'm not so sure about why the sock thing should work but it couldn't make it any worse.

The suggestions were given because a man in Whitfield County died today in a slip and fall when he hit his head on the ice. Just thought I'd share.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:43 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,535,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Most of those goods could come by train to a central area, then we'd only need short-distance trucks for delivery.
like a rail port system? I could see that working.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,535,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
How many truckloads of crap do you think it takes to keep Atl and the metro afloat? The stuff has to get there one way or another. It isn't the trucking companies fault, it's all the people/companies on the receiving end because we all know everyone, including you, will be crying that the stores are out of all kinds of stuff once everything returns to normal.

As far as trucks passing through, they should be rerouted, no question about it. Most over the road trucking companies that are worth a lick have chains hanging on every tractor.

The point is, some freight HAS to be delivered regardless of weather. Almost everything arrives via truck, it doesn't magically just appear.
how fast can the delivery be delivered after mr big rig crashes? The stuff that get damaged in the wreck, does it ever make it on the store shelves? If it doesnt that would mean that another order or haul would have to take place, is that correct?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,150,194 times
I don't think this storm was historic by any means. Models failed us. Disappointed we won't be seeing much snow at all.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,826,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't think this storm was historic by any means. Models failed us. Disappointed we won't be seeing much snow at all.
Can't say I feel the same way. The thrill is gone. All that snow sounds like is something else to melt, re-freeze into ice, and cause more time stuck in the house.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Can't say I feel the same way. The thrill is gone. All that snow sounds like is something else to melt, re-freeze into ice, and cause more time stuck in the house.
My sentiments too. I'm glad it's mostly over, and our power stayed on. Now I hope it melts before the weekend, so we can get out of our neighborhood.

Well done Atlanta!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 PM

322 posts, read 465,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yawn....nothing to see hear folks, move on.

Thanks to everyone for learning from experience:

1 - Deal - "not crying wolf"

2 - TV Weatherman - "this is going to be dire"

3 - Us - for staying at home

Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,928,663 times
I don't think the models failed. It was obvious there was no real reason to shut down things on Tuesday. It was going to be around 36-37 all day.

I guess the one justification is that there was some snow in the north metro and those people may have had trouble getting into work. But Fulton and DeKalb had no issues.

Even today there didn't seem to be any slippery ice. Just a bunch of slush. It was always obvious that Thursday looked like the day when there would be the most problems. That was the first extended period below freezing and we have all that slush that will likely freeze overnight.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,898,856 times
Better to be safe and not have people sleeping in their cars again. A lot of work in the office can be done from home, while those that have to be at work could be accomidated by their employeers to stay close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta