Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

1. Each traffic violation is completely enforce near GSU. Even near student housing areas also. Please do complete stop and don't turn if you see the sign saying so. Especially on Peachtree street near Five Points. Police are just waiting to pull you over.

2. Also Park Atlanta the street company that check parking meters are out and about at 6:55 am, waiting to give you tickets for illegal parking. This is really sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
So, just do what we're supposed to every day. Thanks for the advice! Really, a great thread.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Atlwarrior, Your post was so poorly written that I couldn't tell what you were trying to say. Moving on. . .

Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
park atlanta really does suck. the meters are rigged so you can't add time to them. for example, if person A buys one hour and needs to add an extra 30 minutes, you are supposed to be able to go back to the meter and add 30 minutes. however, all the codes and stuff you have to punch in— even if you get it right, the screen will read out "time refilling is not available at this time" or "computer error".

so if you've got 30 minutes left on your spot, need an extra 30 minutes and don't have time to come back later, you have to buy a totally new ticket and pay an hour's worth of time.

when it comes to one person paying for the whole hour, the system is rigged also. person A can come and pay the meter and leave in five minutes, and as soon as the person leaves, the meter is reset, so person B comes along 5 minutes later, not knowing that the spot is supposed to be paid for the hour, and pays again. it's essentially set up so 1 spot can get about $30 an hour.

meters aren't supposed to work like that. remember the old parking meters? you dropped your money in, and the meter was set for the hour. if you left, someone else could use the rest of your time. and you could add time to your meter, not have to pay for the time you've already been there. this is what happens when we privatize police services. it's a bad idea.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Fortunately, I have not had an issue with the parking meters I suppose mainly because I have rarely had to use them.

Still, I would agree there does seem to be a parking fishiness . I don't quite get what's supposed to be going on when or why and don't see any signs posted describing it. I met some friends off West Peachtree near 3rd. and while all the metered spots were taken, I found a spot that seemed just fine. Apparently, I could only park there during certain hours (not posted) without being towed. OK, I go move my car to a lot.

I think the lot was like $5 and when I tried to put the fifth dollar in the machine, it would not accept. I'm talking about crisp bills here, not the raggedy try to straighten out the edge kind. At that point, I had three impatient people behind me, but there was no way to cancel. It doesn't give change and it doesn't give back what you've already inserted. I had to start over using a card and let my $4 (lol) go. The man behind me really tried to help but it simply would not accept that last dollar, not even using one from his wallet If you are in a lot that has that type of machine, use a card from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: