Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,149 times

Advertisements

Brookings: Atlanta income inequality highest in U.S. - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Interesting statistics. SF, Boston, Miami = so liberal Marx himself dances. Then comes semi-conservative semi-liberal ole 'lana.

I would say we have a MUCH higher population of blacks and other disadvantaged groups who probably graduate from high school a lot less than do counterparts in other places in the country. We are also one of three states who have more than one top 20 public research universities resulting in a high class(GA, Cali, Virginia), educated rich. GA Tech and UGA are also 1 and 4 respectively on returns on investment, so we have great schools producing great citizens for those who can get in. Plus Emory is here too.

When looking at these statistics it boils down to race and education. Still interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Interesting so many of your post focus on race as being the reason for ills in regards to education.

FYI, whites here in GA test poorly versus whites in other "liberal" states and even in Iowa which doesn't have many of the amenities that GA has in regards to having a large metropolitan area like Atlanta.

But on the whole, I am not surprised by Atlanta having high income inequality. Like many posters have stated on this forum, Atlanta as a region does not have good mobility for people, even black educated people, to move up the income ladder in comparison to other areas.

And in regards to graduation rates, both Chicago and Detroit (yes Detroit) public schools have higher graduation rates now compared to APS and Detroit is over 90% black and the median income there is $25K compared to Atlanta's being greater than $40K! So it is not only black related and disadvantaged related, it is culturally related in that people have prejudiced views of others (as exhibited by your own post) and as such do not invest in educational needs in disadvantaged communities here in Atlanta and I would include the entire state of GA versus other states and their goals regarding education.

And FWIW, I do feel that Atlanta is improving in regards to education and investing in all youth and in having a culture of high expectations (in some schools) for all students. But in general I feel the historic, cultural prejudices (again as displayed in your post) is the reason why Atlanta is behind educationally. And as you state a lack of an educated populace does negate the positives in regards to income distribution as uneducated people make much less money compared to the educated people in any metropolitan area.

I remember when I first moved here someone told me only 30 something percent of APS high schoolers graduated!! That was CRAZY to me! Last I read, it was over 50% now, but Detroit and Chicago are both at or above 60% graduation rates right now.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Interesting, but so what? To me, what matters much more and what is needed is "equality of opportunity" for all.

Inequality of incomes has always existed, will always exist, and should always exist. This recent notion that somehow we ought to be striving towards income equality is ludicrous. There will always be people who are smarter, work harder, take more risk, make more sacrifices, or generally do more than others to be wealthy and successful. That's how it should be and what drives our economy.

We need to ensure equality of opportunity to the extent practical, where everyone has an opportunity to achieve the same outcome. I recognize that's not always possible, but it should be the goal. The fact that one person is a billionaire while someone else earns minimum wage isn't and never will be inherently bad, provided both had equal access to the system.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Interesting, but so what? To me, what matters much more and what is needed is "equality of opportunity" for all.

Inequality of incomes has always existed, will always exist, and should always exist. This recent notion that somehow we ought to be striving towards income equality is ludicrous. There will always be people who are smarter, work harder, take more risk, make more sacrifices, or generally do more than others to be wealthy and successful. That's how it should be and what drives our economy.

We need to ensure equality of opportunity to the extent practical, where everyone has an opportunity to achieve the same outcome. I recognize that's not always possible, but it should be the goal. The fact that one person is a billionaire while someone else earns minimum wage isn't and never will be inherently bad, provided both had equal access to the system.
Great post and I agree with you about the equality of opportunity. And I do think, which ChefRamsey alluded to that providing an excellent education to all youth here in Atlanta regardless of racial background or socioeconomic status is the primary basis for ensuring and equality of opportunity.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting so many of your post focus on race as being the reason for ills in regards to education.

FYI, whites here in GA test poorly versus whites in other "liberal" states and even in Iowa which doesn't have many of the amenities that GA has in regards to having a large metropolitan area like Atlanta.

But on the whole, I am not surprised by Atlanta having high income inequality. Like many posters have stated on this forum, Atlanta as a region does not have good mobility for people, even black educated people, to move up the income ladder in comparison to other areas.

And in regards to graduation rates, both Chicago and Detroit (yes Detroit) public schools have higher graduation rates now compared to APS and Detroit is over 90% black and the median income there is $25K compared to Atlanta's being greater than $40K! So it is not only black related and disadvantaged related, it is culturally related in that people have prejudiced views of others (as exhibited by your own post) and as such do not invest in educational needs in disadvantaged communities here in Atlanta and I would include the entire state of GA versus other states and their goals regarding education.

And FWIW, I do feel that Atlanta is improving in regards to education and investing in all youth and in having a culture of high expectations (in some schools) for all students. But in general I feel the historic, cultural prejudices (again as displayed in your post) is the reason why Atlanta is behind educationally. And as you state a lack of an educated populace does negate the positives in regards to income distribution as uneducated people make much less money compared to the educated people in any metropolitan area.

I remember when I first moved here someone told me only 30 something percent of APS high schoolers graduated!! That was CRAZY to me! Last I read, it was over 50% now, but Detroit and Chicago are both at or above 60% graduation rates right now.
Race being reason for ills in regard to education... bluntly and poorly stated residinghere, but I suppose so. My reason for ills is based on societally attributes. I don't want you to get a misled picture that skin color = doing well in school. Whenever I refer to race(which is a big interest of mine and I refer to it often) it refers more to the cultural norms found in that ethnic group than it does their actual skin color.

Also, I'd have to read the statistics on whites testing poorly here, but I wouldn't doubt it. Georgia is for those who are intelligent, of an advantaged group. If you're White/Asian and highly educated, you'll find a nice little home up in Johns Creek or a similar area. Your kids will be better off. If you're not..it's a crapshoot depending on several factors. Lots of inequality.

Lest my bluntness be confused for something else, I DO think inequality should be addresses. It will never be eliminated..not in Atlanta, GA, USA or the world. Not even in a communist world like Cuba, Vietnam, North Korea or China. We still have classes there. It can, however, be curtailed to stabilize society as a whole. I think it'll do Atlanta good to increase opportunity. Fixing K-12 is a good start.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Great post and I agree with you about the equality of opportunity. And I do think, which ChefRamsey alluded to that providing an excellent education to all youth here in Atlanta regardless of racial background or socioeconomic status is the primary basis for ensuring and equality of opportunity.
I don't disagree, but it needs to be acknowledged that not everyone starts at the same place. The son of a billionaire obviously has a head start over the son of a single mother working a minimum wage job. The key is can they get to the same end result?

One may have to work twice as hard and jump over more barriers, but as long as they can achieve their goals, I think society has done its job.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,223,084 times
Access to better education for all children won't improve until public education is no longer funded mostly by property taxes. As long as public education is funded by property taxes, there will always be inequality. It was intentionally designed that way. Since segregation was outlawed in schools, funding education by taxation of property took its place.

Here's a great essay written on the topic of property taxes and education inequality. Property Taxes & Public Education Funding: Inequality in the System | Joshua Berry - Academia.edu

Also read this:

https://www.boundless.com/sociology/...-inequalities/

Old 02-20-2014, 03:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
We are also one of three states who have more than one top 20 public research universities resulting in a high class(GA, Cali, Virginia), educated rich. GA Tech and UGA are also 1 and 4 respectively on returns on investment, so we have great schools producing great citizens for those who can get in. Plus Emory is here too.
Top 20 by what standard? ROI? USNews has Emory at #20, and that's it for Georgia.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,138,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Access to better education for all children won't improve until public education is no longer funded mostly by property taxes. As long as public education is funded by property taxes, there will always be inequality. It was intentionally designed that way. Since segregation was outlawed in schools, funding education by taxation of property took its place.

Here's a great essay written on the topic of property taxes and education inequality. Property Taxes & Public Education Funding: Inequality in the System | Joshua Berry - Academia.edu

Also read this:

https://www.boundless.com/sociology/...-inequalities/
That would suggest the problem is, we're not spending enough money on education. What deficiencies are there to address that need more money?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,238 times
It comes down to who lives in the city limits. In Atlanta the wealthiest areas are in the city limits. If Buckhead was a separate city "income inequality" would be less in CoA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: