Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times

Advertisements

Tell me about it. I'm in school, obtaining my Master's Degree in Professional Writing, and attempting to find jobs in PR or Technical Writing. I learned VERY quickly that you have to network like the dickens to get anything around here. Right now, I'm even trying to get my alternative certification so I can teach English as my "Plan B" (I sub, and I'm great at explaining and teaching things to people, and most of my family are in the Education field, so I'd be getting into the "Family Business" so to speak)

I've been telling my friends from Mississippi to really know what they're getting into if they plan to move up here. Atlanta is NOT the land of Milk and Honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:21 PM

177 posts, read 973,461 times
JDominique,

Since you mention administrative support have you looked at staff jobs for various State agencies? Also there are the State jobs at colleges and universities.

These jobs might not pay anywhere near what you've been making, but they tend to be secure with (I've been told) good benefits. Also, I know some people who have worked in state agencies and have transferred from one locale to another to reduce their commute time..

I was in that tough job search situation about 30 years ago...and have never forgotten it. Hard on the ego. My brother went though it in 2000, He was over 50 at the time, so it was tough on him. He's well settled now, though and very happy.

You seem to have a lot of skills so I feel that it will just be a matter of time.

Wishing you all the best on your job search.

zebbie

Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 AM

18 posts, read 57,566 times
Thanks Zebbie!! Yes, I have been submitting my resumes to the colleges and universities with no such luck. Again, I hear not a good candidate for the position.

Each day I growing tired and disliking being here. I feel like I'm borderline being depressed. I'm trying to put more effort in building my home-based business but my fiance' doesn't want me to put my energy to it although that has helped to keep some money coming here each week. I finally found a craft fair to do this weekend that's an hour away and I'm hoping to make a few hundred dollars from that. I was trying to get in the America's Mart for their big trade show in January but it's full (fortunately, I had a business investor wanting to pay my booth fees).

Here's my website, so you all can see how serious I am about what I do: Natural Soy Candles - Scented Soy Wax Candles - Soy Based Candles. I have included my resume below in it's original format that I was sending out before I "dumb down."

CAREER SUMMARY

Highly motivated Administrative and Marketing Professional with excellent project management skills and a broad knowledge of market research and analysis. Excellent communication skills with proven ability to partner with Sales organizations to deliver outstanding results to clients. Creative and skilled analyst with strong problem solving skills offering outstanding technical expertise.

Technical Proficiency: UNIX; Microsoft FoxPro; ArcGIS (ArcView, ArcCatalog); Oracle; Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher); AS400; SPSS; Adobe PhotoShop; Adobe PageMaker; EndNotes; QuickBooks; PeopleSoft; Scarborough Data Research; Type: 65 WPM Email: Lotus Notes; GroupWise; Outlook

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

MACY’S, Alpharetta, GA 2007-Present
Sales Associate
·Provide outstanding customer service both internally and externally.
·Spread awareness to customers of any markdowns, special promotions or clearances.
·Knowledgeable of all Macy’s systems and procedures to enhance the ability to sell and complete non-selling duties

ADVO, Inc., Columbia, Maryland 2004 – 2007
Junior Marketing Analyst *Promotion 2005 – 2007
·Developed geo-demographic and psychographic market reports and maps to help clients optimize results through direct mail advertising.
·Served as consultative role in the development and execution of strategic targeting projects for many of ADVO’s largest national accounts.
·Partnered with Sales Executives to recommend geographically and demographically targeted advertising options for clients utilizing ArcGIS software.
·Focused on leveraging ADVO’s targeting capabilities to support new and existing businesses.
·Executed strategic targeting solutions, including creating and analyzing statistical reports and maps for clients.
·Proven project management skills in communicating project results to a non-technical audience.
·Utilized Scarborough data tools in measuring shopping patterns and lifestyles of consumers on a regional, local and national level.

Sales Assistant 2004 – 2005
·Provided principal administrative support to a Sales Manager and department of 14 Sales Representative.
·Developed both routine and complex documents, databases, and spreadsheets to support Sales processes.
·Handled all Crossbow mapping requests and served as subject matter expert for ADVO mapping technology.
·Customized marketing packages catered to the client’s specific business industry.
·Provided timely responses to client requests and consulted with Sales Representatives to provide recommendations for appropriate handling of client issues.
·Researched and arranges complex logistics for meetings and meeting components for both internal and external participants. Included researching offsite locations.
·Independently gathered data from an array of sources to create in-depth, detailed complex documents.
·Developed both routine and complex documents, databases, or spreadsheets which required advanced capabilities with the software – e.g. queries, lengthy formulas, merging spreadsheets, documents or pictures to other files or databases, writing/editing macros for spreadsheets.
·Administered the filing systems and procedures for department.
·Handled all Crossbow requests for the department and analytically explained results to a non-technical audience.
·Provided accurate and timely response/recommendations to client requests.
·Production coordination, including researching copy issues and shortages, preparing changes, etc.

Fed Ex Ground, Beltsville, Maryland 2003 – 2004
Sr. Administrative Assistant
·Handled all accounts receivables, payables, and office supply inventory control activities.
·Maintained key responsibility for employee time cards and files, performance appraisals, and payroll distribution.
·Designed flyers for local and regional branch events.
·Provided senior level administrative assistance for the Terminal Manager and P&D Managers.
·Maintained confidentiality while overseeing employee files and performance appraisals.
·Independently peruse mail, composed and drafted routine correspondence for Managers.
·Trend various documents to insure customer satisfaction.
·Coordinated and organize meetings and conferences, make travel and hotel arrangements.
·Maintained all records, updated training and safety specifications.

John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 2000 – 2002
Sr. Administrative Assistant
·Collaborated with key management to develop an effective plan to increase schools, districts, and state involvement in the University partnership programs.
·Provided desktop publishing and designed multiple marketing materials to enhance community outreach.
·Built and maintained databases in Access and provided detailed research and analysis for projects and reports.
·Designed and distributed flyers, marketing packages and PowerPoint presentations for corporate events.
·Managed and maintained all aspects of the administrative functions for the National Network of Partnership Schools of Johns Hopkins University.
·Reported to the Director of the partnership programs as well as perform office management duties for 13 employees within the department.
·Produced, formatted and edited various documents by transcription input as well as retrieved, copied & transmitted text, data & graphics.
·Interacted with vendors and oversee all office equipment maintenance and supply ordering.
·Built & maintained databases in Access in addition to providing detailed research for projects and reports.
·Maintained executive appointment calendars, scheduled department meetings, luncheons & conference calls, prepared minutes for staff meetings and made travel arrangements.

Super Shuttle, Glen Burnie, Maryland 1997 – 2000
Quality Assurance Manager *Promotion 1999 – 2000
·Maintained accuracy in managing daily cash flow in excess of $50,000; handled bank reconciliations; processed A/P and A/R; processed payroll for 100+ employees
·Answered multi-line telephone; heavy filing
·Performed all front desk duties, including greeting drivers and new applicant filing, answering multi-lined telephones and processing customer complaints.
·Supported human resources departments as needed and trained new employees.

Dispatch & Reservations Manager 1997 – 1999
·Recruited, staffed, and supervised over 60 franchise and non-franchise drivers and ticket agents.
·Maintained sales accuracy at the end of each shift ensuring the adherence to company financial standards.
·Dispatched shuttles services for the metro area of Maryland, Washington D.C. and Virginia for pickups and drop off transportation often requiring map reading to provide driver’s with directions.
·Maintained quality customer service both internally and externally.
·Handled all reservations for inbound & outbound passengers.
·Set-up accounts for groups as well as providing information for rates and group bookings.
·Supervised ticket agents and maintained accuracy on sales at the end of each shift.

EDUCATION

Anne Arundel Community College, Columbia MD – Concentration, Business Management – September 2006 – 2007

Career Honors

Customer Maniac Award, ADVO, Inc. (07) – Awarded for providing extraordinary customer service
Employee of the Month, Fed Ex Ground – 10/2003
Certificate of Completion: Excel I & II; Access I & II

Have a good day!

Last edited by jdomonique; 12-05-2007 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,424 times
Jdomonique, if you are going for a 50k job, don't "dumb down" your resume. After reading your resume several times, I think you have some skills that may warrant that kind of salary, but they are buried in a whole lot of unimportant info. Please don't be offended, I'm just trying to help. After reading it the first time, I was thinking "OK, and what did she do?" I hire people and I look for executive skills at that salary level, not making copies, working as a salesgirl, filing, etc.

So, edit your resume to highlight the higher-level skills you have. Delete some of the stuff that is hiding your qualifications. Put the technical proficiencies at the end, not the beginning. Leave off the Macy's job. (High school students work at the mall, not 50k employees.)

Be less wordy. Here's an example: "Developed geo-demographic and psychographic market reports and maps to help clients optimize results through direct mail advertising."
Change it to "Produced market reports". Bam! Sounds impressive, and you don't have to read the sentence three times to figure out what skills you have. If the employer wants to know more, you can discuss it at the interview.

I hope this helps, and good luck finding a great job!

Last edited by Twinkletoes; 12-05-2007 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: to correct spelling

Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 AM

Hi Twinkletoes,

You know what, I just added the Macy's job on there to show that I am employed. I didn't want my resume to reflect that I'm unemployed but I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I will make the updates.

JDominique

Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomonique View Post
Hi Twinkletoes,

You know what, I just added the Macy's job on there to show that I am employed. I didn't want my resume to reflect that I'm unemployed but I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I will make the updates.

JDominique
I don't think there's anything wrong with not showing that you're currently employed- you just moved here, so it's not as big of a deal as if you had been here for four years and hadn't worked in that time. You also don't list the months of your employment terms, so it appears that you could have worked at your position at ADVO until last week- if they see a benefit in your skill set, they won't care that you've been looking for a few months.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:21 AM

465 posts, read 2,427,157 times
I am so sorry for you. I lived in Atlanta from 2003 -2007. I literally just moved to Raleigh, North Carolina 3 1/2 weeks ago. I came for a job I already had; not only that, I'm a nurse, so I can pretty much get work anywhere. Plus I had a friend here from college I could stay with rent free for 2 months. I haven't been here long enough to tell If I'll regret it. My reasons for moving though, were different. I needed a break from Atlanta, and I'm very focused on accomplishing some things in my life personally and financially.

That being said, soooooo many people come to Atlanta with high expectations. If there is one thing I learned about Atlanta, there ARE a lot of jobs, but there are also a LOT of applicants. Usually the applicants out weigh the jobs available. But it's definetley who you know. Something about that town is tight knit that I could never figure out. Either you must know someone, or make a darn good impression and get lucky. It's just not one of those towns you should move to without any job or job prospects, or you'll be in for the shock of your life. The medical field is about the only thing I can say for sure is guaranteed work, and sometimes even that can be tricky. You've only been there six months though, give it some more time. They say at least a year or two is a good amount of time to decide if a place is for you or not. Hang in there.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
I can certainly feel your pain. Metro Atlanta is my home town and I am having a terrible time, also, after returning. I'll share a bit about my background and what I have learned to be helpful. I have two liberal arts degrees and possess skills in the following fields: communications, property management, sales and education and training. I know you are tired of hearing this, as am I, but contacts are the key. Join anything you can and volunteer wherever you can. The more people that you know in Atlanta seems to increase the chances of obtaining a decent position. I haven't had any success with agencies. You might try the generic applications on some of the large companies' websites (AT&T, etc) if you know someone who works there and can put in any word for you. At least you will have your name in the pile and a handle on how realistic the hiring situation is. Hang in there . . . this is the hardest transition I've ever had.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:16 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Have you considered looking at some of the larger builders or Real Estate companies? I know right now the market stinks, but many of your qualifications would be appropriate for that type of field.
also, I noticed that you listed Quickbooks. There are a lot of entreprenuers that use Quickbooks but don't really know how. When I started my company it took a while to learn the ins and outs of it, and I finally went to a woman who worked at an Accountant's office and got her to tweak it for me, and I continue to go back to her to tidy it up once in a while. I found her on line. If you are prficient enough maybe you can try doing something like that. ( She charges me about $100 per hour)

Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 AM

Hi All,

Yesterday, truly proved to me that it's definitely GA in why I can't find a job. I started submitting my resume to jobs in Maryland (where I'm from) and two people contacted me instantly about the positions. So it's good to know that it's not me. I know a lot of you are saying to stick it out but I don't have a year or two years of living like this...I have a child to care for, lawyer fees to pay for (due to a custody battle) and bills. So settling for a $9.00 an hour job doesn't work for me. I have gone from making close to $50K to now $9.00 an hour. That's suicidal! (not that I am)

I have to say although I like it here, not finding a decent job is quickly turning my likes into dislikes. I have never known an entire state to be about networking in order to get a job. Atlanta, hell the state of GA is not what everyone makes it out to be. Moving here has definitely been a set back in my life and I'm totally regretting it.

It feels good to hear that I'm not nor have I been the only person encountering this experience. I'm going to give myself until April to find a decent job, if I don't then I'm moving back to Maryland with or without my fiance', especially if he doesn't have a set wedding date...I'm OUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta