Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 06:15 PM

330 posts, read 1,085,279 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with online public schooling? My daughter is going in to 10th grade next year and we may be traveling between 2 homes in different states so it sounds like a good idea. She is definitely on board with it.

Just want to see if anyone has any information on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 PM

107 posts, read 198,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with online public schooling? My daughter is going in to 10th grade next year and we may be traveling between 2 homes in different states so it sounds like a good idea. She is definitely on board with it.

Just want to see if anyone has any information on it?
I've heard decent things about it. It's really just the state curriculum. I don't know much about how Georgia's differs from that of other states, but at that grade level my understanding has been that the program requires a lot of daily time on the computer. If that's something you can guarantee even with traveling, it might be worth considering.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
Both have facebook pages and possibly Yahoo groups. You might want to search those out and see what people are saying. Additionally, your child will be required to be here to take state tests, EOCT, end of course tests generally a few weeks before the end of the course.

School starts mid-August here, and spaces seem to fill up at least at some grades, so you need to find out about that.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,937 times
I know one boy (family friends) who was in the GA Cyber Academy (online public school) - The young boy had some problems with bullies in his school and a slight learning disability, so his Mom took him out of the public schools for about 3 years to enroll him in the GA Cyber Academy while he was still in his elementary years until the previous school year (2013). He seemed to do well and it suited him. They since moved to another area of the metro and now the boy is middle-school aged and doing well in another public school setting and no longer using the GA Cyber Academy. This is definitely an option worth looking into. His Mom was pleased with it overall: her other kids have attended the traditional brick-and-mortar public schools.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:02 AM

31 posts, read 38,197 times
I have been researching the same subject. The three schools recognized by the Department of Education seem to be: Georgia Cyber Academy, Georgia Connections Academy and Provost Academy, there are also a large number of private online options with regional accreditation. The online high schools are new, but they seem to have a good technology platforms, a large enrollment, some like the Georgia Cyber Academy seem to have issues.

Based on my initial research online (reviews on greatschools.org and other sites), Provost Academy seems to be the best.

I think an online high school is a good choice, it opens many doors for University education later. There are so many online courses offered online at the University level from excellent universities like Stanford, Georgia Tech, MIT, etc. Most of the top universities offer courses online through Coursera, Udacity and other MOOC platforms. Based on the feedback, an online education also requires more parent involvement, not as much as home schooling but definitely more than brick and mortar schools. It's a new field so there are many growing pains, but the technology, content and delivery have improved in the past few years and will continue to improve.

I am interested to learn more on the subject so please let us know what you find out on the subject.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:05 AM

330 posts, read 1,085,279 times
Im just starting my search on this. I havent contacted any of them yet with questions.

Its sort of hard to wrap my head around having went to traditional school my whole life. (like most everyone else)

Not sure if my daughter can stay committed on a daily basis and actually do what is expected of her. She would be home alone during the day and I would only be able to help in evenings.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,994 times
Learning is of higher quality when face-to-face due to psychosocial tendencies of humans. It's really not what you learn in school, it's how you socialize as a human being and how you're pressed to think.

Keep that in mind. Take your daughter to a "field trip" associated with the learning to make for a better exp.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,148,502 times
I made a very similar post a week ago about a child with learning difficulties. Anyone know anything about the likelihood of a cyber school being able to meet the needs of a rising 9th grader who is several years behind in math and reading comprehension? She should have an IEP with the next week or two so she'd be going in with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta