Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 4,244 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how the teens are in Alpharetta or Milton?
I will be relocating there and have 14 year old twins, 1 boy and 1 girl.

Not too worried about my daughter, as she is pretty much a "tough" girl who will stand her ground if anyone gives her BS (Girls here are VERY cliquey/stuck up and she doesn't have time for that crap.)
She is actually looking forward to making friends that are "normal."

Son is the complete opposite. He's shy and has been picked on somewhat during this school year. He's a very nice kid and would benefit from making friends that don't make him the brunt of jokes.

I just worry that moving to such an affluent area probably means that the kids are stuck up. But from what I'm reading a lot of the population is transplants, so it may very well be that the teens are from areas like mine and act the same way. I don't know.

Should I be looking elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,029,293 times
I have found the teen in the "Greater" Alpharetta area, to be more or less like all teens from NY/NJ/PA...

I don't think you will find much difference in the High schools in North Fulton/Forsyth/East Cobb/Cherokee Demographics. Most are Middle / Upper Middle Class area.

Not sure what your timing, But since most HS (If not all) get 2 or 3 middle school that feed it, 9th grade is a good mixing point, since everyone is arriving "New". (A few Cherokee schools do JR High 8/9 and SR HS 10-12 but it not district wide)

Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,663,326 times
People vary, statistics don't. Just get em in some out of school activities that suite their needs.

You're looking at a desirable area in Georgia of which there are few.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,040,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezinNY View Post
Can anyone tell me how the teens are in Alpharetta or Milton?
I will be relocating there and have 14 year old twins, 1 boy and 1 girl.

Not too worried about my daughter, as she is pretty much a "tough" girl who will stand her ground if anyone gives her BS (Girls here are VERY cliquey/stuck up and she doesn't have time for that crap.)
She is actually looking forward to making friends that are "normal."

Son is the complete opposite. He's shy and has been picked on somewhat during this school year. He's a very nice kid and would benefit from making friends that don't make him the brunt of jokes.

I just worry that moving to such an affluent area probably means that the kids are stuck up. But from what I'm reading a lot of the population is transplants, so it may very well be that the teens are from areas like mine and act the same way. I don't know.

Should I be looking elsewhere?
I do not know your son, but regardless of financial class, teenagers in large enough groups will pick on each other for some reason or another. This same type of social behavior has been observed in other primates (like chimpanzees), so I would hesitate to postulate that Alpharetta, Milton, or any other area have any distinct characteristics that would make being picked on less or more likely (except for the number of kids).

If your kid is having problems making friends at school then the first thing I would do is attempt to plug him into a social network AWAY from his school. Even if the situation at his high school only improves marginally, having a social safety net away from that environment will give some measure of solace. This might be a wierd sport (lacrosse? martial arts? gymnastics?) or an interest (hackerspace? tabletop gaming? programming?) ...or something like that (playing/recording music? acting or improv comedy?)

Speaking from personal experience.. the most difficult thing to remain cognizant of in that situation is the longview. Specifically that not fitting in with the group of people immediately around you doesn't mean that you cannot still grow/learn as a person or enjoy a good social life. Sometimes the only thing you can really do in that situation is live the best life you can and wait until your situation changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta