Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

like i've said before, a million times, TUNNEL IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Someone that knows how to navigate this site better than me, go back and link to a post from a year or so back where we discussed putting tops on the connector. Someone had linked to some pictures of what that would look like plus some others with beautification done to stretches on the connector.

Dallas recently put a nice park over the Woodall Rogers freeway which separates downtown Dallas from Uptown. There is a new sculpture garden park on the top now and links the two areas. Very nicely down, not as expensive as tunnelling but leaves one with the feeling that it has been done. I could see much of midtown connecting to GA Tech and Atlantic Station if something similar were done. I could see the stretch from Williams to Freedom Pkwy and then the area around the capitol/Grady done as well. This could make a nice plaza for the Capitol, giving it a nice public space to sit in front of.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Someone that knows how to navigate this site better than me, go back and link to a post from a year or so back where we discussed putting tops on the connector. Someone had linked to some pictures of what that would look like plus some others with beautification done to stretches on the connector.

Dallas recently put a nice park over the Woodall Rogers freeway which separates downtown Dallas from Uptown. There is a new sculpture garden park on the top now and links the two areas. Very nicely down, not as expensive as tunnelling but leaves one with the feeling that it has been done. I could see much of midtown connecting to GA Tech and Atlantic Station if something similar were done. I could see the stretch from Williams to Freedom Pkwy and then the area around the capitol/Grady done as well. This could make a nice plaza for the Capitol, giving it a nice public space to sit in front of.
You're referring to the vision of greening the connector, which is being pushed by the downtown and Midtown CID.

I fully support their vision.

I like the idea of cap parks, like was done with 5th street. We need more and more pedestrian/bike connections across the connector and build a linear path going North-South.

This is in their plan. http://www.atlantadowntown.com/initi...nnector_Vision

What I don't want to do is over-cap the whole thing. Most people still drive into our city. The connector is our front door to the world. We should beautify it and show off our city to people passing by. It is already an impressive view.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:56 AM

the problem is that you can't cap the whole connector without fundamentally changing the structure of it. check out the area between 4th street and ponce. it's completely at-grade. if you tried to cap it, even moving land around on both sides, you'd have a 6 foot high tunnel. it's the same thing between 9th and 6th streets, at the north end of the grady curve, and south of freedom park way it's *above* grade. best case scenario, you can't even cap 10th to 5th street completely without lifting the surrounding streets and creating viaducts, or creating vertical walls which would completely ruin the whole point of trying to create a consistent street grid.

yeah, you could drop the whole connector a good 30 feet and *then* cap it, but at that point, you might as well tunnel it!

Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
What I don't want to do is over-cap the whole thing. Most people still drive into our city. The connector is our front door to the world. We should beautify it and show off our city to people passing by. It is already an impressive view.
it's an impressive view from the car, but it completely ruins the ability to walk and bike, ruins street life, and creates a huge echo chamber of traffic noise. shouldn't we be more concerned about the people who live in atlanta rather than those who drive through it?

other cities like boston and san francisco have removed freeways that cut through their central business districts, and i don't see them regretting the 'scenic' freeway views.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
other cities like boston and san francisco have removed freeways that cut through their central business districts, and i don't see them regretting the 'scenic' freeway views.
I would be okay with removing the downtown Connector and GA 400 south of 285, or at least converting them to boulevards.

However I doubt there's enough demand to justify the cost. If the private sector wants to do it, fine.

CNU has a lot of good resources on how to do this and the pros and cons.

Highways to Boulevards | Congress for the New Urbanism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6zx72SS_Y#t=611

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Here's another good page on it. They feature Atlanta as an example at the end of the video.

Observation Deck: How Tearing Up Highways Could Make Better Cities | Underwire | Wired.com

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Someone that knows how to navigate this site better than me, go back and link to a post from a year or so back where we discussed putting tops on the connector.
Sounded familiar

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...us-impact.html

I love the many elements of this plan. Just adding some lighting in key areas would be awesome.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Just so that we would not get results something like the barren & horrible concrete covering that resulted from a similar, smaller attempt to bridge the connector at the intersection of Courtland & Ralph McGill.
I see that concrete monstrosity every day & when you ad in the rusting folk art objects that "decorate" the intersection as the result of a pre-Olympic reconfiguration, it's quite unsightly.
Not to change the subject, but is anyone aware of having seen a past thread on that decaying folk art?

Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
The problem isn't the freeway, it's the side streets. If we had more ways to get into the city our freeway wouldn't be so many lanes and cutting neighborhoods off. Compare the downtown connector from the opening to now. But I guess the damage is done. But the last thing we should do is get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta