Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 947 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at re-locating to America from Perth, Australia. I want to be able to live in a place where my hom eis not in someone else's backyard. I have gotten a bit of information from others who have been there and someone mentioned Atlanta, Georgia.. Would this be a suitable place?.. I am simply after a house with land and greenery and trees around it.. I would most cetainly not consider an apartment. I wouldn't want to be too far away from anything (ie:shops) but I don't think I could handle the hustle and bustle of a busy city.. I'd like a sleepy little town where people know each other.

I would be moving with my three year old daughter and my partner. He works as a laser engineer and I work in advertising. I would also like to move somewhere where the crime rate is low, and the schooling is good for my daughter. She is turning four soon and will be gong to school February next year. I've had a look and there seem to be a few jobs in marketing and advertising but I'm wondering if all of those jobs are difficult to actually get into?

Thanks in advance for any help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I think it would suit you guys well.

It is a city with homes on lots larger than average. It is the Southern Piedmont and is very much a city with many trees and lots of hills.

The main thing is Atlanta was hit harder in the recession and is just now emerging back. We typically do worse in recessions and better when the economy is doing well. This is largely, because we are a fast growing/low-cost city. Many companies move here as other larger cities in the US become more expensive. The recessions stops our growth more as some cities take advantage of lower prices in the older cities.

In short getting a job might be a bit hard to do at first. I would try to contact some potential employers ahead of time first and see how that goes.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
It is more complicated than getting a job, you will need visas and they aren't easy to get. (It is very difficult for American's to move to Australia to work too.)

Advertising and marketing are fields that are unlikely to grant visas, there is no problem getting employees in that field. On the other hand, your partner's field may be more possible, but the best opportunities in the US in his specialty may not be in Atlanta.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kristina. View Post
I want to be able to live in a place where my hom eis not in someone else's backyard.
Just wanted to point out to some of our other posters that people around the world still value elbow room.

I think you will enjoy Atlanta. Come on up!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 PM

687 posts, read 745,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It is more complicated than getting a job, you will need visas and they aren't easy to get. (It is very difficult for American's to move to Australia to work too.)

Advertising and marketing are fields that are unlikely to grant visas, there is no problem getting employees in that field. On the other hand, your partner's field may be more possible, but the best opportunities in the US in his specialty may not be in Atlanta.
Unless you are married? Then you would be able to work on the back of your husband getting a visa. It sounds like it would be more likely for your husband to find a work sponsor in his line of work rather than yours as lastminutemom mentions....marketing agencies don't need to go overseas to find staff when they have a plentiful supply right here!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM

38 posts, read 41,649 times
I grew up in Atlanta and currently live in Sydney and have spent a lot of time in Perth for work. A couple of things I would say about Perth vs Atlanta:

-Atlanta is dirt cheap in comparison, in just about everything.
-Perth had much better mass transit, I especially liked the CAT buses, Atlanta has nothing like that.
-Atlanta homes are larger and will usually have larger yards, especially in the suburbs.
-Atlanta doesn't have any water features like the Swan or Ocean.
-Atlanta has a craft beer that locals love (Sweetwater), similar to Little Creatures, both are delicious. However, Atlanta has more locals beers as well. You'll get a lot more variety.
-Atlanta has access to everywhere, literally. The largest airport in the world means that you are only a direct flight away from just about anywhere in North America and some some parts of Europe. You will have no where near the isolation of Perth.
-Atlanta doesn't have an area like Freemantle, it does have areas that are smaller and lots of character but nothing to that size and touristy

I'd be happy to compare anything else or if you have more specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: