Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should Atlanta's MLS team be named?
ATLANTA FC 3 6.67%
PREMIER ATLANTA 1 2.22%
ATLANTA PHOENIX 4 8.89%
ATLANTA FIREBIRDS 2 4.44%
ATLANTA CHIEFS 1 2.22%
ATLANTA APOLLOS 1 2.22%
APOLLO FC 0 0%
ATLANTA BLAZE 3 6.67%
ATLANTA RISE 1 2.22%
RESURGENS FC 7 15.56%
ATLANTA RESURGENS 4 8.89%
RESURGENS ATLANTA 4 8.89%
TERMINUS 0 0%
TERMINUS LEGION 1 2.22%
TERMINUS FC 9 20.00%
ATLANTA LOCOMOTIVE 1 2.22%
TERMINUS AETERNIUM 0 0%
OTHER: (LISTED IN THREAD) 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,739,221 times

Advertisements

(THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SPORT, BUT ONLY ABOUT ATLANTA BRANDING NAMESAKE)
So, Atlanta has been awarded an MLS expansion team that will start play in the new stadium in 2017. I'm sure that is not news and comes to no surprise to the people here.
And I'm sure you all are also aware that owner, Arthur Blank plans to allow the people of Atlanta to vote on naming the team... So I'm curious, what are some of the ideas for team name that people are having?

Please vote from the list of several suggestions that I've seen so far...

And if you have another idea for a team name, please list and explain the connection to the city

FOR THOSE THAT ARE NOT FAMILIER WITH SOCCER, IT IS ADVISED TO PLEASE TAKE A LOOK INTO SOCCER TEAM NAMES PRIOR TO MAKING YOUR DECISION. SOCCER TEAMS OFTEN DO NOT FOLLOW THE SAME NAMING CONVENTION AS OTHER SPORT TEAMS (as in [City - Mascot](as in Atlanta Braves) format. Doesn't always apply in soccer).

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 05-07-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:56 AM

687 posts, read 745,395 times
Some more suggestions here:

Alternate Names, Logos Emerge For ATL Soccer Team - Decent Proposals - Curbed Atlanta

Old 05-07-2014, 11:23 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,739,221 times
ATLANTA FC
Meaning: Atlanta Futbol Club.
Alternate: Atlanta SC (Soccer Club)
Mascot: The phoenix from the Atlanta city seal

PREMIER ATLANTA
Meaning: Unknown (to me)

ATLANTA PHOENIX
Meaning: Atlanta's symbol is a phoenix. Prior to Civil war, Atlanta's symbol was a bird flying over fields of farmland. After General Sherman's march to Savannah, which left Atlanta burned to the ground, the symbol became a phoenix.
Nickname: Firebirds
Mascot: A phoenix

ATLANTA FIREBIRDS
-All is the same as Phoenix-

ATLANTA CHIEFS
History: Atlanta Chiefs was Atlanta's first pro soccer team in the NASL league. Atlanta Chiefs won the first ever NASL championship.

ATLANTA APOLLOS
History: Atlanta Apollos is the same team as the Atlanta Chiefs. The team was renamed to the Apollos under new ownership.
Team motto: "Gods among men"

APOLLO FC
Meaning: Would be to honor Atlanta's former teams (Chiefs & Apollos). But now, Apollo takes on a new meaning. Apollo was one of the MOST important OLYMPIANS in Greek Mythology. Atlanta being an Olympic city, Apollo is fitting.
Alternate/Nickname: The Olympians
Mascot: Still, a Phoenix rising from the Olympic torch flame

ATLANTA BLAZE
History: Blaze was the mascot of the 1996 Atlanta Paralympics.
Mascot: a phoenix

ATLANTA RISE
Meaning: From Atlanta Falcons' term "Rise Up" also from the saying "The South shall RISE again"
Mascot: a phoenix (that RISES from the flames)

RESURGENS FC
Meaning: the word "RESURGENS" is on the seal of the city of Atlanta. Represents Atlanta's push to rise from the tragedy of being burned to the ground. Same as saying "Rise again" and Resurgens is represented by a phoenix
Alternate: RESURGENS SC
Mascot: a phoenix (just like on Atlanta's city seal)

ATLANTA RESURGENS
-Same as Resurgens FC-

RESURGENS ATLANTA
-Same as Resurgens FC-

TERMINUS (SIMPLY JUST: TERMINUS)
Meaning: Terminus was Atlanta's ORIGINAL name... Well before being named Atlanta. Before being renamed Marthasville. Atlanta was called Terminus
Mascot: Unknown, but probably something to do with a Train. Maybe can incorporate both a train & a phoenix.

TERMINUS LEGION
Mascot: IS a train
-rest the same as Terminus-

TERMINUS FC
-Same as Terminus-

ATLANTA LOCOMOTIVE
-Same as Terminus-

TERMINUS AETERNIUM
-Same as Terminus-
except, Aeternium means: Eternity

Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,908,083 times
I recently read an article about this in the Atlanta Business Chronicle. It listed suggestions from several marketing executives in the Atlanta area. The one I liked most was:

Other: Atlanta Grits. (yes, the food)
runner up: Atlanta Phoenix

Credit for the name "Grits" given to the President of the AMA Atlanta chapter.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM

787 posts, read 969,600 times
I like RISE or Firebirds

Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,824 times
I think it would be wise to stick to the more mature sounding names. Resurgens FC gets my vote.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM

687 posts, read 745,395 times
I think a Atlanta team need to actually have the word 'Atlanta' in the name no? Outside of the city they would suffer an identity crisis as no-one outside of Atlanta would have the foggiest idea where the team is from.

Can't think of many Soccer (sorry...football) teams worldwide that don't reference where they play their home games.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I think a Atlanta team need to actually have the word 'Atlanta' in the name no? Outside of the city they would suffer an identity crisis as no-one outside of Atlanta would have the foggiest idea where the team is from.

Can't think of many Soccer (sorry...football) teams worldwide that don't reference where they play their home games.
True, but if the name is good enough it works. Just look at Arsenal. No one who follows football has a hard time knowing where they're at. Plus Arsenal is just a bad ass name for a team.

Last edited by waronxmas; 05-07-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,548 times
Anything besides Phoenix and Terminus please. The former is too cliche and the latter is just silly.

Resurgens FC is a solid soccer team name, though it may be a bit too close to "insurgents".

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
How about the Atlanta Moneybags? Or the Atlanta Moneywasters? Or the Arthur Blank Publicly-Funded Private-Toy? Ok, the last one's a bit too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta