Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Just a thought arjay, but have we EVER been balanced as far as transportation funding goes? I mean, for most of the last 50-60 years it's been all about roads. Oh and let's not forget about this huge transportation/infrastructure proposal that Mayor Reed is trying to draw up. Stop acting like roads are completely going unnoticed...
alco, let's not forget that our region has spent many billions on MARTA and plans to continue doing so.

Granted, MARTA serves 123,000 people a day. But that's a drop in the bucket in a metro of 6 million. Even if we limited that to the service area only, that's still 10% or so of the population.

It's great that we have a public transportation option, but even where it exists most people don't use it.

Our town's bread and butter is the automobile and it has served us well. So let's not kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:26 PM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Funny to see people freaking out over this city finally spending cash on a rail extension after 14 years of nothing. Further disinvestment in alternative transportation would only hurt Atlanta in the long run and make us less competitive.

Just sit back, relax, and watch Atlanta grow into the bigger, better, and more connected city it deserves to be.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM

Further disinvestment in our street system will hurt the city, too, Frankster. Most of our streets have had little or no attention from the city in years and they are a mess.

Fortunately GDOT and the private sector have stepped up to make some improvements but there is still a huge backlog of deferred maintenance.

I'm in favor of transit but we've got to to maintain a balance.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
alco, let's not forget that our region has spent many billions on MARTA and plans to continue doing so.

Granted, MARTA serves 123,000 people a day. But that's a drop in the bucket in a metro of 6 million. Even if we limited that to the service area only, that's still 10% or so of the population.

It's great that we have a public transportation option, but even where it exists most people don't use it.

Our town's bread and butter is the automobile and it has served us well. So let's not kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
Served us well to a point. There are many places where you literally can't do anything else to the road but pave it. Space has run out. I'm not saying we need to stop spending on our roads (we desperately need to repave and redo sidewalks), but just as we spent billions on mass transit, we spent many billions more on our roads. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe roads have served us so well because we directed so much money to them? I'm talking metro-wide, not just COA

Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
$0 from the state. More of MARTA is paid by users than roads.

Quote:
Places where roads are not receiving huge subsides (other countries) have the more trips via transit than car. Most places have this weird idea of actually making the drivers pay for roads via tolls and higher gas taxes.

Quote:
Clearly you don't know history. Atlanta was a city built on rail. Private rail.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Roads only help people with cars. Atlanta got by pretty good when we had streetcars.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:

Actually it's 227,000 per day, but who's counting. Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you can't really say that number is out of 6 million when MARTA only serves Fulton and DeKalb Counties...so it would be out of 1.7 million rather than 6.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
More of MARTA is paid by users than roads.
How do we know that? Only about 20% of MARTA's funding comes from users. The bulk of it comes from the sales tax -- which falls on everybody who shops in Fulton or DeKalb, regardless of where they live -- and from federal grants.

As to road subsidies, I can tell you for a fact that the streets in my area have had little or no attention from the city in the last 20 years.

I agree with you on user fees. If it was feasible I'd make just about all roads toll roads. Stick it on the user.

Last edited by arjay57; 05-13-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Actually, Wikipedia is in error on that (I know, hard to imagine).

According to MARTA itself, the numbers of individuals using MARTA on an average day is 123,400.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
How do we know that? Only about 20% of MARTA's funding comes from users. The bulk of it comes from the sales tax -- which falls on everybody who shops in Fulton or DeKalb, regardless of where they live -- and from federal grants.

As to road subsidies, I can tell you for a fact that the streets in my area have had little or no attention from the city in the last 20 years.

I agree with you on user fees. If it was feasible I'd make just about all roads toll roads. Stick it on the user.

MARTA's farebox recovery ratio is 32% which is about the same as that both tolls and gas taxes pay for roads in GA ( Gasoline Taxes and User Fees Pay for Only Half of State & Local Road Spending | Tax Foundation ). Of course that is just raw %. We both already knew that the quantity spent was no where close.

But yeah, you get the subsidies out of both and let the people vote with their wallet and pay 100% with user fees and lets see what happens. I think it is more transit, more density, and less roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta