Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

User "jwbab" on another forum posted this earlier today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab
The Gulch Development Site plan finally available! (Much larger pdf version in the link below)

http://documents.atlantaregional.com...DRI%202758.pdf

(Go to the last page of the document)

Traffic Study here:

http://documents.atlantaregional.com...DRI%202758.pdf

Loving all the cross streets / small blocks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Looks like 18 new buildings, with a ~50-story office skyscraper at the corner of MLK and Ted Turner. Plus a whole bunch of other 30-40 story towers, with retail at the base of some of them.

Plus demolishing/replacing the ugly monstrosity CNN deck, and this deck:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7565...7i13312!8i6656

And this ugly building that I have no idea what it is:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7557...7i13312!8i6656

And yeah, a street grid. Connections. Wow. Plus new tunnel entrances to both MARTA stations.

In a word, amazing.

Larger than I thought, too. Goes all the way down to Nelson St.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
User "jwbab" on another forum posted this earlier today:

Loving all the cross streets / small blocks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Looks like 18 new buildings, with a ~50-story office skyscraper at the corner of MLK and Ted Turner. Plus a whole bunch of other 30-40 story towers, with retail at the base of some of them.

Plus demolishing/replacing the ugly monstrosity CNN deck, and this deck:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7565...7i13312!8i6656

And yeah, a street grid. Connections. Wow. Plus new tunnel entrances to both MARTA stations.

In a word, amazing.

Larger than I thought, too. Goes all the way down to Nelson St.

I have a question:

Does massive development of the Gulch at this point in time eliminate any chance for the Multi-Modal station???

Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I have a question:

Does massive development of the Gulch at this point in time eliminate any chance for the Multi-Modal station???
A lot to read here, but I think I saw that the plan would not interfere or preclude the MMPT, and would hopefully be able to integrate with it. Dunno, though.

What's definitely for sure here, all these towers are the secret Amazon HQ2 proposal.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Actually if you look at the map, where 'Parcel M' is, it looks like they're not touching most of that whole block (where the old Atlanta Constitution building is, which is soon to be revamped), which is where the MMPT would likely go.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM

What they really need to do, is buy up and demolish that crappy 1-story retail building with the Cricket Wireless, and extend upper Wall St to meet up with Driveway 18. That would connect this development with Peachtree St and Underground.

And while they're at it, this crap needs to be replaced with a tower as well:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7549...7i13312!8i6656

Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Building belongs to the City of Atlanta and is connected to a Watershed Management building.

Quote:
Where are you seeing that? I searched the whole document for tunnel and no results were found.

This will be one hell of a development. Will probably cause huge demand for housing in the West End and Vine City areas. Luckily, those areas are prime for development.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Where are you seeing that? I searched the whole document for tunnel and no results were found.
At the bottom of the second document, there's a letter from MARTA Interim CEO Elizabeth O'Neill:

Quote:
Dear Commissioner Keane:

As Interim General Manager/CEO at the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA),
I would like to express my support for the proposed development by CIM in the south downtown
Atlanta area, often referred to as "The Gulch." The development has the potential to increase
MARTA ridership through improved MARTA rail station connections, as well as connections to
the existing bus system and proposed Atlanta Streetcar expansion.

The project is planned to fully integrate with MARTA's heavy rail system at both the
Dome/GWCC/Phillips Arena/CNN Center and Five Points Stations. Two new access points have
been proposed by CIM. Access to the Dome/GWCC/Phillips Arena/CNN Center Station would
include a new ticketing concourse on the south side of the station beneath Centennial Olympic
Park Drive with vertical circulation along a retailed concourse to provide direct ingress and egress
along the northern boundaries of the project. The second new access point is proposed at the
Five Points Station west of Forsyth Street with a direct connection beneath Forsyth Street for
ingress and egress at the northwest corner of the Station.

The More MARTA sales tax included a voter-approved project list, which includes a significant
expansion of the Atlanta Streetcar throughout the City of Atlanta. Although the program of
projects has yet to be identified, it is presumed that initial investments would be allocated
towards expanding the existing Atlanta Streetcar both east and west. The planned western
extension of the Atlanta Streetcar is proposed to run along the northern edge of the property
along Centennial Olympic Park Drive, providing a variety of opportunities for connections to the
project.

Lastly, the project area is well served from the existing Broad Street bus mall and provides
multiple street level access points to accommodate expansions of local or commuter bus services
to the project and to the MARTA stations.

Transit project implementation is subject to Federal Transit Administration and MARTA Board of
Directors approval.
We look forward to working in partnership with CIM to maximize transit access to their project.
I appreciate your consideration and ask for your expeditious support for advancement of this
project.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth M. O'Neill
Interim General Manager/CEO

Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
It’s just amazing that Downtown Atlanta has the potential to surpass all the development that have happen in Buckhead and Midtown in the last ten years. This would truly be the case of the last being first.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Building belongs to the City of Atlanta and is connected to a Watershed Management building.
Incorrect, that building does not connect to 2 City Plaza (72 Marietta St) I think you are confusing the Five Points Plaza, which houses the US HUD, with 2 City Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta