Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,269 times

Advertisements

Recently, a native of my home city came to life's end in Atlanta. People are saying he was slain by automatic gunfire in a home invasion 12-3-07. I have tried numerous searches but find no record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Pretty common here. Go to AJC.com and do a search on the name.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
You probably need to Google more detailed info and find out which County they lived in. Example: "Atlanta murder home invasion Dekalb County" ... or something like that.

The local news webs:

www.wsbtv.com
www.11alive.com
www.myfoxatlanta.com

Sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortunately, Dekalb County alone last year had 190 home invasions. They had just reported on this which is why I know the number, but the other counties no doubt are probably higher than any of us realize. If you tally up the whole metro area, I wouldn't be shocked if I heard that there were 1000 home invasions last year . The police departments here have a poor history of keeping accurate records of certain things. Just a couple of years ago, a Federal investigation found that the city of Atlanta police department had neglected to properly log 20,000 crime stats, so the crime rating appeared much lower than it really was. Of course, the chief of police and everyone else played dumb and blamed it on "clerical errors". Riiiiiight. Likewise, the smaller police departments many times "forget" to log things properly, so accurate records of how many of a particular type of crime are hard to come by.

Unless someone gets seriously injured or killed (which doesn't happen every time), it sometimes doesn't even make it to the news, or we'd have a 24/7 channel just devoted to home invasions or carjackings.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,125 times
I lost my son this year. He was stationed at a base in NC. In an effort to get more detail about exactly what had happened I googled his name and the name of the town. No info. Did a search on the local paper. Nothing. The only info I could get was by calling and talking to the police detective who was in charge of the investigation. You will probably find that to be the case with your friend as well.

The sad fact is that we live in violent times and most murders, suicides, car-jackings, home invasions, etc. don't make the paper unless there is something unique about them. If the media had to write an article on everyone who died a violent death the newspaper would be the size of the phonebook.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 PM

80 posts, read 477,384 times
Try the Atlanta crime map at http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=map (broken link). You can select a date range and it maps where crimes occurred. Note that this is for the city of Atlanta only.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:48 PM

89 posts, read 100,067 times
Things like that happen here all the time. I had a friend who got shot in a drive by shooting and the people who shot her got away with it. Atlanta is such a sad city. I live in a cheap flat downtown, and in my area, you have to deal with stuff like that everyday. However, I just use caution and just good ol' common sense to get around that.

Sorry I got carried away with myself, but may your friend rest in peace and pray that they find the crook.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 6,070 times
Default Thanks For The Replies

The young man's name is Brian Moseley. I'll continue to search.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I lost my son this year. He was stationed at a base in NC. In an effort to get more detail about exactly what had happened I googled his name and the name of the town. No info. Did a search on the local paper. Nothing. The only info I could get was by calling and talking to the police detective who was in charge of the investigation. You will probably find that to be the case with your friend as well.

The sad fact is that we live in violent times and most murders, suicides, car-jackings, home invasions, etc. don't make the paper unless there is something unique about them. If the media had to write an article on everyone who died a violent death the newspaper would be the size of the phonebook.
Actually it would not. They could list every crime, car accident and even traffic tickets, marriages, divorces and births in the paper everyday and it probably would not take up more than a page. My paper back home has done it for years for a metro area of about 400,000 people and it takes up about 1/4th of a page.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Actually it would not. They could list every crime, car accident and even traffic tickets, marriages, divorces and births in the paper everyday and it probably would not take up more than a page. My paper back home has done it for years for a metro area of about 400,000 people and it takes up about 1/4th of a page.
Pardon my hyperbole. I was making a point, so I didn't mean that it would literally be the size of a phonebook.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:33 PM

177 posts, read 923,611 times
The Washington Post also used to post all the crime in the Friday Paper. After I read it I always wished I hadn't. Still did it though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta