Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,391,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
When did Barney's and Lord & Taylor leave?
Barney's left a few years ago from Phipps. It was a small, boutique type store. Lord & Taylor used to be in Phipps where Nordstroms is now. Lord&Taylor closed quite a few stores at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,471,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Barney's left a few years ago from Phipps. It was a small, boutique type store. Lord & Taylor used to be in Phipps where Nordstroms is now. Lord&Taylor closed quite a few stores at that time.
I would think that if anything Atlanta would be on the same level as Dallas and Houston concerning fashion, if not a bit more advanced being that it is on the East Coast. Fashion is generally a reflection of wealth. Like we only have a Nordstroms, and none of the stores mentioned in this thread, but Hampton Roads is primarily a working class area, and more about the beach culture so it is a lot more casual not at all reflective of the fashion you find in other cities so even those with wealth, would probably rather wear something like Tommy Bahama than Dior or Louis Vuitton.

Sort of reminds me the differences I saw in Cincinnati over say, Akron and Cleveland. Cincinnati was very conservative, and they had a Sak's Fifth downtown. Cleveland and Akron the theme was a lot darker, a lot of Black, Grey, darker tones not as "Midwest" as say khaki, or camel; what you see a lot in Chicago. Fashion here tends to trend more colorful, louder than what I'll find back home, with more pastels, etc.

Funny that you mention Nordstroms because that is essentially the best that we have now, and everything else is beneath that (Macy's, Dillards, etc.). We have a lot of retail, but we're not a top tier market, we simply have a lot of retail per capita.

I haven't been in the city for a minute. Last I was there Rich's was still around, so I'm not sure what has happened since then.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,792,177 times
Quote:
I would think that if anything Atlanta would be on the same level as Dallas and Houston concerning fashion, if not a bit more advanced being that it is on the East Coast. Fashion is generally a reflection of wealth. Like we only have a Nordstroms, and none of the stores mentioned in this thread, but Hampton Roads is primarily a working class area, and more about the beach culture so it is a lot more casual not at all reflective of the fashion you find in other cities so even those with wealth, would probably rather wear something like Tommy Bahama than Dior or Louis Vuitton.

Sort of reminds me the differences I saw in Cincinnati over say, Akron and Cleveland. Cincinnati was very conservative, and they had a Sak's Fifth downtown. Cleveland and Akron the theme was a lot darker, a lot of Black, Grey, darker tones not as "Midwest" as say khaki, or camel; what you see a lot in Chicago. Fashion here tends to trend more colorful, louder than what I'll find back home, with more pastels, etc.

Funny that you mention Nordstroms because that is essentially the best that we have now, and everything else is beneath that (Macy's, Dillards, etc.). We have a lot of retail, but we're not a top tier market, we simply have a lot of retail per capita.

I haven't been in the city for a minute. Last I was there Rich's was still around, so I'm not sure what has happened since then.
Dallas and Houston has a lot more rich people than Atlanta so they can support more luxury retail. Miami and Dallas has more luxury stores than Atlanta so more shoppers looking for luxury retail would go to those cities instead of Atlanta. Hopefully BA will make Atlanta luxury shopping equal to those cities so more people regionally will shop here verses going to Dallas or Miami

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Dallas and Houston has a lot more rich people than Atlanta so they can support more luxury retail. Miami and Dallas has more luxury stores than Atlanta so more shoppers looking for luxury retail would go to those cities instead of Atlanta. Hopefully BA will make Atlanta luxury shopping equal to those cities so more people regionally will shop here verses going to Dallas or Miami
Where do you see Atlanta in comparison to the DC area?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Where do you see Atlanta in comparison to the DC area?
Shopping wise?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Shopping wise?
Yes, and wealth. I know one of the comparisons of Hampton Roads to other metro areas is that it is not Northern Virginia, and no Atlanta or Charlotte, which I understand. But given your comparison of Atlanta to the Southwest, I was curious how you felt it measured up to the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, and wealth. I know one of the comparisons of Hampton Roads to other metro areas is that it is not Northern Virginia, and no Atlanta or Charlotte, which I understand. But given your comparison of Atlanta to the Southwest, I was curious how you felt it measured up to the Mid-Atlantic.
Shopping wise? Pretty much even. Tysons 1& 2=LS & PP. A new outlet mall at The National Harbor has a few luxury stores so the DC area might have a slight advantage over Atlanta until BA and PCM opens. As far as wealth DC metro blows Atlanta out the water. On the flip side it is very expensive in DC so it really wealth if someone is making 80K but can't afford a house a nice neighborhood. I familiar with both cities. DC is a fun city but at the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford and what region and lifestyle you like better

Old 06-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Shopping wise? Pretty much even. Tysons 1& 2=LS & PP. A new outlet mall at The National Harbor has a few luxury stores so the DC area might have a slight advantage over Atlanta until BA and PCM opens. As far as wealth DC metro blows Atlanta out the water. On the flip side it is very expensive in DC so it really wealth if someone is making 80K but can't afford a house a nice neighborhood. I familiar with both cities. DC is a fun city but at the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford
You're right in that it isn't wealth if you're house poor. Good to see that interesting things are happening down there in Atlanta though.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,918,285 times
This is huge Dallas.and Miami are the only other 2 places that have this store in the South

Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You're right in that it isn't wealth if you're house poor. Good to see that intespring sting things are happening down there in Atlanta though.
DC is already there. Atlanta is getting there. A lot of great changes are happening here. Visit here next spring and see for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta